US defends itself after humiliating Thailand at Women's World Cup

Cray

Honorary Master
What BS. Have you ever played any sport. Scoring more points/goals is cause for more celebration.
Have played and do play plenty of sport, in my view there is zero sportsmanship in humiliating a opponent who is clearly not at the same standard as you. I celebrate points scored against decent opponents, celebrating the 10th goal scored against someone who is clearly out of their depth just seems a little over the top.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Have played and do play plenty of sport, in my view there is zero sportsmanship in humiliating a opponent who is clearly not at the same standard as you. I celebrate points scored against decent opponents, celebrating the 10th goal scored against someone who is clearly out of their depth just seems a little over the top.
Soccer is 90min long. 10 isn't that much.

As a comparison. Rugby, that's 80 min long, in order to get to 100 you need to score a Try and conversion 7 points every 5 min.

10 in soccer is like 50 in rugby.

Last edited:

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Don’t blame the team that wins, and celebrates their success. Rather blame the organisation that allows teams into a world class even that does not belong there.

What if they get to the end of the first round and USA gets knocked out because of goal difference? Remember, two other teams also have to play a team “that is clearly out of their depth”, as you put it. So, every goal scored could be like the one that wins the final.

For someone that played, and do play, plenty sport, you sure do not know what it takes. This is not your Sunday community kick in the park. This is WC.

Cray

Honorary Master
Don’t blame the team that wins, and celebrates their success. Rather blame the organisation that allows teams into a world class even that does not belong there.

What if they get to the end of the first round and USA gets knocked out because of goal difference? Remember, two other teams also have to play a team “that is clearly out of their depth”, as you put it. So, every goal scored could be like the one that wins the final.

For someone that played, and do play, plenty sport, you sure do not know what it takes. This is not your Sunday community kick in the park. This is WC.
Again it's not about the scoreline, they did everything they needed to ensure success in the later stages of the cup, zero issue with that, it's the over the top reaction to scoring those extra goals when the game result is clearly decided beyond all doubt that just looks off to me...

rietrot

Honorary Master
Again it's not about the scoreline, they did everything they needed to ensure success in the later stages of the cup, zero issue with that, it's the over the top reaction to scoring those extra goals when the game result is clearly decided beyond all doubt that just looks off to me...
Did you see the game? The celebrations weren't over the top compared with other soccer celebration,which is always over the top. Only the girl with the purple hair over did her celebration for her 1 goal a little bit, but still mild compared to what you normally see in soccer.

Cray

Honorary Master
Soccer is 90min long. 10 isn't that much.

As a comparison. Rugby, that's 80 min long, in order to get to 100 you need to score a Try and conversion 7 points every 5 min.

10 in soccer is like 50 in rugby.
I disagree, 10 goals would be more like 100 in rugby.. Soccer is a game that has 0-0 draws all the time . The World Cup in Russia in 2018 had an average of 2.6 goals per game.

But again, it's not that the scored those goals, goal difference is a thing in all world cups and they didn't change their match intensity which is what you would expect. Just thought the celebrations towards the end where a bit excessive.

Cray

Honorary Master
Did you see the game? The celebrations weren't over the top compared with other soccer celebration,which is always over the top. Only the girl with the purple hair over did her celebration for her 1 goal a little bit, but still mild compared to what you normally see in soccer.
Fair enough, in context with other soccer celebrations it's probably not that far out, guess am used to watching other sports where celebrations are a bit more muted.

thechamp

Honorary Master
How about we stop blaming anyone? because the reasons are getting even more ridiculous, there is no organisation that is allowing teams into anything, teams play and qualify, all on their own, when you have qualified you are worthy to compete in the tournament, being beaten 13-0 is part of the beautiful game.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
How about we stop blaming anyone? because the reasons are getting even more ridiculous, there is no organisation that is allowing teams into anything, teams play and qualify, all on their own, when you have qualified you are worthy to compete in the tournament, being beaten 13-0 is part of the beautiful game.
Well Cray alluded to the fact that they probably should not have been there.

I have no issue with what happened. Snowflakes seems to have an issue.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
I disagree, 10 goals would be more like 100 in rugby.. Soccer is a game that has 0-0 draws all the time . The World Cup in Russia in 2018 had an average of 2.6 goals per game.

But again, it's not that the scored those goals, goal difference is a thing in all world cups and they didn't change their match intensity which is what you would expect. Just thought the celebrations towards the end where a bit excessive.
Can’t remember anyone complain when Australia scored 31 goals in 2002.

Also, record are meant to be broken. USA now holds the record for the most goals in a FIFA WC. That surely is something to celebrate, not?

gamer16

Executive Member
I see no reason why the US should apologize for anything, they won, by a big margin sure, well done to them.

Cray

Honorary Master
Can’t remember anyone complain when Australia scored 31 goals in 2002.

Also, record are meant to be broken. USA now holds the record for the most goals in a FIFA WC. That surely is something to celebrate, not?
Again, not about the scoreline, and yes records are nice to have.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Again, not about the scoreline, and yes records are nice to have.
When they scored goals 10 to 13, and were celebrating excessively, did you know that they might not have been celebrating the goals per se, but maybe the record achievement?

Or maybe the individual celebrations were to score a goal in a WC? How many people have played in a WC match to never score? Each goal was an achievement. Let them enjoy their achievement.

Cray

Honorary Master
When they scored goals 10 to 13, and were celebrating excessively, did you know that they might not have been celebrating the goals per se, but maybe the record achievement?

Or maybe the individual celebrations were to score a goal in a WC? How many people have played in a WC match to never score? Each goal was an achievement. Let them enjoy their achievement.
Am not advocating criticizing them at all, I think the very idea of going on social media and calling them out on it is ridiculous, am just stating how it looks to me. As Rietrot pointed out, their celebrations are not that over the top compared to others seen in professional football, I just thought it was a bit over the top when the game was already over as a contest.

terencej

Expert Member
Let the US have their moment. Rugby world cup is coming ......ENGLAND V USA.

England are not going to give them half a chance.