US Election 2020 - The Result

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
So they're NOT losing on purpose, but when they DO lose it will enable them to go fight it all over again In the Supreme Court
how is that hard to fathom?

almost as if you haven't seen it being done over and over again right here in South Africa where things are ultimately only settled in the ConCourt ...

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Can I draw your attention to the (Republican) Senator's description of the PA Supreme Court judge (who just ruled against Trump)?
already posted, your point?

I haven't made any claim that all republicans (whether senators or judges) support Trump's continued fight, a fair number of them are merely political animals looking out for themselves and will say anything to help ensure their own survival in the next administration

what I said was they, the republicans who have not given up, believe the supreme court is stacked in their favour ... well either that or they believe the supreme court is the only one likely to truly uphold the constitution and they believe they have a case that should be heard by it

and just to be clear, I'm of course talking about the US Supreme Court, not any state's supreme court

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I think it's so very intriguing. And entertaining, in a dark sort of way. It's like some sort of mass delusion thing going on, and we're watch it happen live .

It's weird in a way, from being very anti Trump 4 weeks ago, at this stage I'm actually warming to the fact that he should steal this one by some nefarious method. Because 4 years later (if the country still stands), that rabbit hole that these guys are in would have been irretrievably embedded.

Empires rise and fall, and often by their own failings. These are huge events. Am unlikely to be able to see one fall during my lifetime, and didn't really expect to see one, yet one is playing out before me of its own accord

You have to understand... it like somehow a lot of religious people try and push for the end of the world....a certain mischievous aspect of my character almost wants to nudge this further just so I can watch.
Always by their own failings

tetrasect

Expert Member
already posted, your point?

I haven't made any claim that all republicans (whether senators or judges) support Trump's continued fight, a fair number of them are merely political animals looking out for themselves and will say anything to help ensure their own survival in the next administration

what I said was they, the republicans who have not given up, believe the supreme court is stacked in their favour ... well either that or they believe the supreme court is the only one likely to truly uphold the constitution and they believe they have a case that should be heard by it

and just to be clear, I'm of course talking about the US Supreme Court, not any state's supreme court

So the supreme court is going to waste their time on frivolous BS that has been thrown out of dozens of courts already? Dream on.

TysonRoux

Honorary Master

‘It’s over’: Michigan GOP House member defies Trump by saying there was no election fraud in his state​

Appearing on CNN’s “Inside Politics” with host Dana Bash, Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI) insisted that there was no election fraud in his state and that it is time for Donald Trump to accept that he lost the 2020 presidential election.

Breaking with the president who has been insisting that the election was stolen from him, Upton bluntly stated: “It’s over.”

Asked by the CNN host what is going on in his state, Upton got right to the point.

“You know what? The voters have spoken,” he began. “No one has come up with any evidence of fraud or abuse. All 83 counties have certified their own election results. Those will be officially tabulated or should be tomorrow. We expect that process moves forward and let the voters, not the politicians, speak.”

Adding “It’s over,” he continued, “Well, here’s what the issue is: the longer this lasts, languishes, the time escapes from us from seeing a peaceful transition to the next administration. By not allowing the security briefings, the health briefings, the normal transition from one president to the next, only brings about more uncertainty and threatens that peaceful transition that would otherwise — that would certainly undermine the next administration.”

“We’re Americans,” he forcefully asserted. “We need this process to work. This time from the November 3rd until January 20th, traditionally has been one that allows the two candidates to shake hands, to figure out what the transition is going to be, to make sure the American people, those not in the government, are, in fact, benefitted because of that transition. And when you slow it down, when you fail to certify the results, when you add all this uncertainty, it only makes it very problematic for the next administration to start with the feet hitting the ground.”

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
So the supreme court is going to waste their time on frivolous BS that has been thrown out of dozens of courts already? Dream on.
you do realize the appeals process effectively escalates to higher courts as it plays out right?

the simple fact that a lower court has ruled one way doesn't rule out a higher court, in fact it is a prerequisite

but hey, you won't have to wait long to see if anything is argued in front of the supreme court, if it doesn't happen before the electoral college votes there won't be any point anymore imo

TysonRoux

Honorary Master

Michigan lawmaker who met with Trump pushes ‘constitutional crisis’ to overturn election on Fox News​

Michigan House Speaker Lee Chatfield (R) on Sunday explained how a constitutional crisis could mean a win for President Donald Trump despite losing the popular vote in his state.

In an interview with Fox News host Pete Hegseth, Chatfield defended his recent meeting with Trump. Prior to the meeting, critics warned that it gave the current president an opportunity to push Michigan lawmakers not to certify President-elect Joe Biden’s victory.

“When the president of the United States calls, you take that meeting,” Chatfield insisted. “There was this outrage that the president was going to ask us to break the law and he was going to ask us to interfere. And that simply didn’t happen.”

tetrasect

Expert Member
you do realize the appeals process effectively escalates to higher courts as it plays out right?

the simple fact that a lower court has ruled one way doesn't rule out a higher court, in fact it is a prerequisite

but hey, you won't have to wait long to see if anything is argued in front of the supreme court, if it doesn't happen before the electoral college votes there won't be any point anymore imo

Yeah but 4 out of 9 supreme court justices have to vote yes to accept a case before the court. Why would a supreme court justice (never mind 4 of them) vote to hear an embarrassing train wreck of a case like the one Giuliani is presenting? I can only think of one reason anyone would vote yes to that; "For the LOLs.", though I seriously doubt that any supreme court justice would vote to accept a case just for entertainment value.

surface

Honorary Master
Yeah but 4 out of 9 supreme court justices have to vote yes to accept a case before the court. Why would a supreme court justice (never mind 4 of them) vote to hear an embarrassing train wreck of a case like the one Giuliani is presenting? I can only think of one reason anyone would vote yes to that; "For the LOLs.", though I seriously doubt that any supreme court justice would vote to accept a case just for entertainment value.
I speculate that turdites are banking on 4 justices being conservatives and hence hoping for 4 rubber stamps.

tetrasect

Expert Member
What's their second win?

There was a court case in Allegheny county where democrats asked that 2,349 mail-in ballots that were received by Election Day but weren’t dated by voters be counted. That case was ruled in favor of the democrats but Trump appealed the decision and later won the appeal.
To be clear, those votes were never counted to begin with, all this did was prevent more votes being added to the count.

That's why the case count went from 1-32 to 2-31 at one stage on Friday.

tetrasect

Expert Member
I speculate that turdites are banking on 4 justices being conservatives and hence hoping for 4 rubber stamps.
Even then they still have to do their job, meaning they have to argue the case within the confines of the law. And then they still need a majority vote.

If these Trumptards really think that the majority of supreme court justices will magically abandon their life-long commitment to the law and turn into a bunch of Q-anon spouting idiots then... well I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if they thought that. But it just won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.