US homes cutting landline phones

Do you use a mobile or fixed line phone as primary voice service?

• Mobile

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Fixed

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Both

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

<moLe>

Expert Member
in south africa I think the trend is even more agressive....who uses landlines for anything apart from data?

OhGats

Given the inconvenience of applying for fixed lines in ZA and all the associated hassles of dealing with Telkom and its abysmal prices, its amazing that even more people are not going the mobile route. But then our numbers are skewed because of having to have a fixed line from telkom for adsl.

Netguy

Primarily using a Laptop (and a Smart-phone) on the Internet, it is hard to beat the flexibility provided by Mobile Data - and with 3G being quite widely available, it makes more and more sense whilst traveling around.
Neotel will have to pull a "rabbit" if they wish to compete with 3G "on-the-move".

Budza

Executive Member
I have both, have closer plan 2 for landline. Nothing during the day as am at work. I spend almost double that on MTN, so would have to say that cell has become primary. The free calls after hours on landline is useful for family contact, and perhaps results in more talktime overall. Which counts more?

Edit: Closer plan 2 would not be used if I did not need landline for ADSL...

Last edited: