US iTunes acc. - what happens to your ZA acc.?

fwwwn

Sorry if this has been posted before. Did some searching but haven't found any specific answers yet.

Been using my ZA Apple ID since 2007, recently got an iPhone and I've installed some free apps from the south african iTunes store already. Haven't purchased anything with the ZA account. I've done some research, and I know how to create a US iTunes account, but how does that affect my existing account? Do I have to deauthorise my current account in iTunes? Do I have to format my phone and start from scratch? And how will it work when iCloud comes out, since that's linked to your Apple ID?

Any information would be appreciated, but the most important thing I want to know is what happens to my apps/phone after switching to a new account.

MikeCTZA

Expert Member
Having a USA account wont affect your ZA one at all. Bottom line is that you can have both accounts and apps from both stores on your phone at the same time. I have that. You just sign in and out of them in iTunes (or on the phone if you want too). I am not sure how having 2 accounts will work with iCloud, I am guessing it will just sync the account that is currently logged in on the device but not sure - is something that we will have to wait and see with. You won't need to format or do anything strange like that on your phone. Hope this helps.

brucem

Mike is right. However, your iPhone gets pretty confused with updates, trying to switch between stores. I wish there was more info on how multi accounts was handled.

In terms of icloud, I have ios5 and you have to enter icloud login in settings, so it should fix to whichever account you choose

fwwwn

Having a USA account wont affect your ZA one at all. Bottom line is that you can have both accounts and apps from both stores on your phone at the same time. I have that. You just sign in and out of them in iTunes (or on the phone if you want too). I am not sure how having 2 accounts will work with iCloud, I am guessing it will just sync the account that is currently logged in on the device but not sure - is something that we will have to wait and see with. You won't need to format or do anything strange like that on your phone. Hope this helps.

Mike is right. However, your iPhone gets pretty confused with updates, trying to switch between stores. I wish there was more info on how multi accounts was handled.

In terms of icloud, I have ios5 and you have to enter icloud login in settings, so it should fix to whichever account you choose

Awesome, thanks guys. Helps a lot. This is going to get tricky when iCloud comes out... I have my phone (Find my iPhone) and mac registered to my ZA apple ID, and will need to use iCloud with a US apple ID, to keep the apps synced... :/

MikeCTZA

Expert Member
Yeah, would be nice if there was a better way for multiple a/c but I don't think people in the US have the need for that, it is only us poor people with no games etc. in our store who needs it. Sigh. I haven't found it to be too much of an issue, only now and then, I rather have the slight niggles and have the apps I want vs not to have them. I'm was tempted to only use my US a/c but have the odd app, which was free & now is no longer free, I use from ZA store so kinda have to keep both around for the moment.

fwwwn

Yeah, would be nice if there was a better way for multiple a/c but I don't think people in the US have the need for that, it is only us poor people with no games etc. in our store who needs it. Sigh. I haven't found it to be too much of an issue, only now and then, I rather have the slight niggles and have the apps I want vs not to have them. I'm was tempted to only use my US a/c but have the odd app, which was free & now is no longer free, I use from ZA store so kinda have to keep both around for the moment.

Well, I took the time today to transfer everything over to one account. All the free apps I was using I redownloaded from the US store, so now everything's syncing nicely! Going to buy some apps tomorrow. All the SA gift card sites seem to be out of stock, but found a site in the US, pcgamesupply.com. Seems legit, and they accept PayPal. Will post in this thread if everything goes well... or the other way...

Edit:
Wow. Just bought a voucher from that site and received my code exactly 53 seconds later. Awesome.

Last edited:

MikeCTZA

Expert Member
... but found a site in the US, pcgamesupply.com. Seems legit, and they accept PayPal. Will post in this thread if everything goes well... or the other way...
Edit: Wow. Just bought a voucher from that site and received my code exactly 53 seconds later. Awesome.

Thanks for the update, good to know - their prices seem pretty good, I need to get something soon so will maybe give them a go.

brucem

Well, I took the time today to transfer everything over to one account. All the free apps I was using I redownloaded from the US store, so now everything's syncing nicely! Going to buy some apps tomorrow. All the SA gift card sites seem to be out of stock, but found a site in the US, pcgamesupply.com. Seems legit, and they accept PayPal. Will post in this thread if everything goes well... or the other way...

Edit:
Wow. Just bought a voucher from that site and received my code exactly 53 seconds later. Awesome.

How did you transfer apps across, and how do you work out which store u downloaded an app in?

fwwwn

How did you transfer apps across, and how do you work out which store u downloaded an app in?

I had about 30-40 apps linked to the ZA account, so I just noted which apps I actually use and would download again, deleted all the apps from my computer and synced the phone. Then I logged into the new account on the phone and my computer and redownloaded all the free apps (so it's linked to a single account). I also set the phone and computer to sync up using the iCloud beta (everyone has this already), which warned me that you can only change this once every 90 days - fine by me since I will only be using the new account, but will be a bit of a hassle for people with two or more accounts. Loving the better variety and games btw... the local store is so nerfed.