US Mid-term elections news and results

Pitbull

Verboten
Midterm voters in Johnstown say Donald Trump has revived their city's economy

Many of the steelworkers were dedicated traditional Democrat voters - hardworking, fond of unions, Christian - like many in the usually Democrat-leaning keystone state which voted for Mr Trump by 0.7% in 2016.

But how could they argue with what Mr Trump was offering them? Work, more money, a thriving economy.

Ms Kulback, 61, told Sky News: "There are help wanted signs up everywhere in Johnstown, and every business I talk to can't find enough qualified employees - that hasn't been a problem in Johnstown for the past couple of decades.

"He's been in office for two years and the fact we're in this situation is because of him - we've had a record year.

"He removed the regulations Obama put in, people are seeing their wages increase because of that.

"Workers here are getting $3,000 on top of that every three months, it's hard to argue with that.

"We've seen a revitalisation in our area that we haven't seen for many many years."
And so the success stories start rolling in.

Emjay

Expert Member
Interesting thread for someone who was telling me that I was too obsessed with US politics just last week.
Discussing the outcome of an election is not obsessing. Thinking that far Right wing extremism is personally impacting you in SA is obsessing.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Discussing the outcome of an election is not obsessing. Thinking that far Right wing extremism is personally impacting you in SA is obsessing.
It's personally impacting me in relation to my direct family members. But... that's another topic in another now deleted thread. Just pointing out the irony is all.

Emjay

Expert Member
Just putting my prediction from the other thread here.

I don't think the Republicans are going to win the House. They will win the Senate (and gain some seats I think), but polling is not looking great for the House. The latest nonsense by Trump is not helping, and the Kavanaugh outrage is forgotten already.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I think this is quite likely, which would probably be seen as a slim win for democrats.
For me all bets are off. I have no powers of prognostication after 2016 :D. There is still a balance of likelihood that the GOP will keep house and senate, and also some likelihood of an unexpected upset on both counts. There are some extremely tight and significant races that could tip the balance either way. Georgia and Texas are too close to call for example.

The two states I really hope do flip are Florida and Georgia. The rampant corruption, racism and voter disenfranchisement by incumbent senators in those states is criminal.