US Netflix in SA

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Noted.. .now.

5 years back when these same assurances were granted this was not entirely the case.

Still a heck of a PITA to fumble around with sodding gift cards...

It’s been the case for the last 10+ years I’ve used an Apple ID from America.

The only choice since SA accounts were very late to the game.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
No.

4 Cases in the last 6 months of errant charges to my card.

Whilst I can get this corrected with the local bank, they are doing shiat to fix their end.

So, no. I do not. At all.

Well then best you get off the internet.

Sounds like your account is otherwise compromised.

Unless you meant to errant charges to your card and not specifically your Amazon account.

Most credit card details get stolen in person, not off the internet.

rustypup

Expert Member
Unless you meant to errant charges to your card and not specifically your Amazon account.

Completely OT, but nope. Amazon charging my profile. They finally acknowledged there's an issue but have yet to confirm if they've resolved.

Here's the thing. Once they've done this enough times the local bank will simply block the service in its entirety. Which is just **** awesome.

My card has not been compromised because I'm not the sort of mouth-breathing farkwit that shares it with every Tom, Dick and Larry.

TedLasso

Expert Member
Go to getflix dot com dot au

Signup for their SmartDNS... it’s roughly R80 per month

Change the DNS/IPv4 on your router or machines

Watch US Netflix

I’ve never considered it “too many hoops” at all.
First i had paid for a year and it just worked. Two or three issues but nothing a reboot of router didn't solve. Then at renewal, paid 2 years in advance , was 500-600 bucks . BBC iPlayer also works. Since I have a multiple SSIDs , only the private WLANs get to use these , the guests get SA Netflix. Wouldn't want a guest to start something on their device that is US based , only to leave my place to find out , they can't continue watching what they had started. Haha

gertvanjoe

Expert Member
I tried the other day through SmartDNS but upon registering they wanted a US +1 number, I tried various free sms services but each number I entered gave an error. Don't know if it was a site problem that night ?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I tried the other day through SmartDNS but upon registering they wanted a US +1 number, I tried various free sms services but each number I entered gave an error. Don't know if it was a site problem that night ?
Can try Google Voice.

greg0205

Honorary Master
First i had paid for a year and it just worked. Two or three issues but nothing a reboot of router didn't solve. Then at renewal, paid 2 years in advance , was 500-600 bucks . BBC iPlayer also works. Since I have a multiple SSIDs , only the private WLANs get to use these , the guests get SA Netflix. Wouldn't want a guest to start something on their device that is US based , only to leave my place to find out , they can't continue watching what they had started. Haha

Tough but fair. :D

Dubes

Expert Member
Apologies for reviving an old thread. Does use of a VPN work when paying for SA Netflix? I had been paying for a US account until a short while back and was using a VPN with success to change regions. Now I've switched to paying for SA Netflix and not having luck with my VPN any more.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Apologies for reviving an old thread. Does use of a VPN work when paying for SA Netflix? I had been paying for a US account until a short while back and was using a VPN with success to change regions. Now I've switched to paying for SA Netflix and not having luck with my VPN any more.
Payment country has nothing to do with the catalogue you're viewing. IOW you can watch US Netflix with a ZAR account.

midnightcaller

Expert Member
Some feedback on my experiment.

I signed up for smartdns.
I entered the IP address into dns setting into a Samsung Q55 tv and fired up Netflix

I can see a much wider variety of content. There are movies that are not in Netflix SA.
However, when I try to play those movies, Netflix shows a message that I am using a unblocking server and it doesn’t play the movie.

midnightcaller

Expert Member
Update :
Tried the same IP address on a windows 10 laptop.
Fired up Netflix and it works.

Laptop is now plugged into Samsung TV via HDMI.