US plane scatters engine debris over Denver homes [B777]

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The Boeing 777, with 231 passengers and 10 crew on board, was able to return safely and land at Denver airport. No injuries were reported.

Police in the town of Broomfield posted pictures of what appears to be the front of an engine casing in the front garden of a home.

Passengers onboard described a "large explosion" shortly after take-off.
_117103033_7d077bb6-c745-42d9-a291-58b1004b4de3.jpg

_117102614_29b7fccb-442f-44a3-b35b-6f12508cf332.jpg

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Completely unrelated incident yesterday, also scattered engine parts: http://avherald.com/h?article=4e35302b
A Longtail Aviation Boeing 747-400 freighter, registration VQ-BWT performing flight LGT-5504 from Maastricht (Netherlands) to New York JFK,NY (USA), was in the initial climb out of Maastricht's runway 21 when the #1 engine (PW4056, outboard left hand) suffered severe damage and began to distribute engine parts (turbine blades) over the village of Meerssen (Netherlands) about one to two nautical miles past the runway end. An elderly lady on the ground was hit by the debris and received minor injuries. The crew declared PAN PAN, then Mayday, and reported they had lost the #1 engine. The aircraft stopped the climb at FL100, entered a hold to dump fuel and diverted to Liege (Belgium) for a safe landing on runway 22L about one hour after departure.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Kudos to the guy filming that with such steady hands, not sure I would be that calm.
You'd be surprised. When watching movies and such they make planes look chaotic when they are going down.
So back in 2007 we went on a team build in Durban. On the way back at about 8pm a massive storm broke over JHB international and we got stuck in it with the plane being thrown around like a pebble in a river. I was on the wing and I watched the wing flap up and down, the plane buckled and bounced to the extent that we all saw the fuselage flex enough that the door to the cockpit open, lots of alarms going off and that was the only noise.
He got us out that after the plane dropped, not descend literally just fell down as if it had no lift, the wings were bending. But he got us out, the door had since been closed, an announcement came out that we had to divert back to Durban as JHB had flooded.
We got back to Durban on fumes and a massive storm had blown over there. But we had to land there was no other way.
Brace was announced so we did and the plane came down hard, lots of emergency lights, lots of sirens, the plane was skidding on the runway, engines were in reverse thrusters, brakes applied but the plane just was speeding down the runway, I looked out the window and saw the emergency vehicles racing along side. The plane eventually stopped with a massive jolt and we were not quite straight.
They drove the emergency vehicles around the plane, hooked it up and towed us to the terminal.
They were already checking everything when we got out the plane, there were some missing panels on the exterior as well cause we could see the plane out the window.
After the storms blew over I got a business class flight home at midnight, there was still some hectic turbulence but it was mild, the lady next to me was a little shaky, she asked me why I was so calm.
I looked at her and said did you see the plane they removed off the runway with all the emergency vehicles, she was like yes. I smiled and said I was on that plane.
Throughout the whole experience there was no screaming, no praying, there was just a lot of noise from the plane. My team lead was playing his psp, I was like why aren't you nervous. His response, if it's my time there's not a lot I could do right and I want to finish this.
Man I was nervous on my next couple of flights afterwards.

neoprema

Expert Member
You'd be surprised. When watching movies and such they make planes look chaotic when they are going down.
So back in 2007 we went on a team build in Durban. On the way back at about 8pm a massive storm broke over JHB international and we got stuck in it with the plane being thrown around like a pebble in a river. I was on the wing and I watched the wing flap up and down, the plane buckled and bounced to the extent that we all saw the fuselage flex enough that the door to the cockpit open, lots of alarms going off and that was the only noise.
He got us out that after the plane dropped, not descend literally just fell down as if it had no lift, the wings were bending. But he got us out, the door had since been closed, an announcement came out that we had to divert back to Durban as JHB had flooded.
We got back to Durban on fumes and a massive storm had blown over there. But we had to land there was no other way.
Brace was announced so we did and the plane came down hard, lots of emergency lights, lots of sirens, the plane was skidding on the runway, engines were in reverse thrusters, brakes applied but the plane just was speeding down the runway, I looked out the window and saw the emergency vehicles racing along side. The plane eventually stopped with a massive jolt and we were not quite straight.
They drove the emergency vehicles around the plane, hooked it up and towed us to the terminal.
They were already checking everything when we got out the plane, there were some missing panels on the exterior as well cause we could see the plane out the window.
After the storms blew over I got a business class flight home at midnight, there was still some hectic turbulence but it was mild, the lady next to me was a little shaky, she asked me why I was so calm.
I looked at her and said did you see the plane they removed off the runway with all the emergency vehicles, she was like yes. I smiled and said I was on that plane.
Throughout the whole experience there was no screaming, no praying, there was just a lot of noise from the plane. My team lead was playing his psp, I was like why aren't you nervous. His response, if it's my time there's not a lot I could do right and I want to finish this.
Man I was nervous on my next couple of flights afterwards.
I had something similar a few years ago. Not as bad but also getting tossed around a lot in a JHB storm in a 737. For us the worst was that lightning was very very close and every time it struck we could hear it clearly and the whole cabin would light up from the strike from outside.
It was also the strangest turbulence I’ve ever felt because the plane would tilt to a side a bit and then “fall” in that direction for 2 seconds. Was very weird.
we did complete our landing at Tambo but then im pretty sure 70% of the passengers and crew found the closest bar :)

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Imagine this happened half way to Hawaii over the ocean!

A very similar incident occurred in 2018, blamed on engine inspection failure:

wingnut771

Honorary Master
It can still complete its flight with one engine. So it would be a case of either carrying on if there’s no where else to go, or finding the closest airport to land at.

But yeah, it’s something no one wants to experience - pilots and aircraft manufacturers included.
I think it would be a different story if the engine broke off.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I had something similar a few years ago. Not as bad but also getting tossed around a lot in a JHB storm in a 737. For us the worst was that lightning was very very close and every time it struck we could hear it clearly and the whole cabin would light up from the strike from outside.
It was also the strangest turbulence I’ve ever felt because the plane would tilt to a side a bit and then “fall” in that direction for 2 seconds. Was very weird.
we did complete our landing at Tambo but then im pretty sure 70% of the passengers and crew found the closest bar :)
The lightning was the least of our worries but yeah it was strange. When we landed back at Durbs a lot of people did head to the bar, I just wanted to get home, so on the next flight I was bumped to business class and had a whisky on the flight and some snacks.
But yeah what was supposed to be an hour and a bit flight home ended up being 5 and a 1/2 hours.