US plane scatters engine debris over Denver homes [B777]

Flanders

Honorary Master
Imagine being crushed by falling airplane debris ...what a way to go out this world .

Or just being donked on the head and severely injured by a super lightweight, gigantic, PW4000 engine inlet lip falling out of the sky. :ROFL:

Arthur

Honorary Master
Just checked. It's only the older 777-200s with the P&W 4000-112 engine that have been grounded. This engine, with huge hollow fan blades, is specific to that model of B777 on just a few airlines, and only those have been grounded. The other 2500-odd B777s continue as normal. As you know, it's generally the airline that selects the engine. All B777s since 2004 have only the GE-90 engine.

Blu82

Expert Member
I doubt it. Note that the P&W 4000-112 engine type is specifically for the B777. I suspect the grounding order is for the engine, not the airframe.
A 747 had a similar incident on the same day with multiple injuries on the ground. The picture of the debris embedded in the car earlier in this tread is from that incident.

Supervan II

Expert Member
My one cousin and her husband recently moved from Denver. To Austin, Texas.

Now I'm not sure which is better: getting seriously injured/killed by things falling out of the sky, or freezing to death ...

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Least surprising revelation about this incident:
It said 128 jets should be suspended until inspections had been carried out. United Airlines, Egyptair, and operators in Japan and South Korea have all said they will not be flying their Boeing-777s.

The NTSB said late on Monday that two fan blades on Flight 328's Pratt & Whitney engine had broken. One of them showed signs of metal fatigue, and investigators believe it broke off and chipped the second blade.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Detailed report into the previous incident (almost identical), and the testing procedures for engine fan blades: