US Politics : Withdrawal symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

konfab

Honorary Master

Good riddance.
From the case:
New York residents who both applied for unrestricted licenses to carry a handgun in public based on their generalized interest in self-defense. The State denied both of their applications for unrestricted licenses, allegedly because Koch and Nash failed to satisfy the “proper cause” requirement. Petitioners then sued respondents—state officials who oversee the processing of licensing applications—for declaratory and injunctive relief, alleging that respondents violated their Second and Fourteenth Amendment rights by denying their unrestricted-license applications for failure to demonstrate a unique need for self-defense
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/20-843_7j80.pdf

Some background on the people who are being represented in the case:
Nash and Koch subsequently requested that the licensing officer remove the restriction from their licenses so that they could carry a firearm for the general purpose of self-defense. In support of his request, Nash cited a number of recent robberies in his neighborhood and his completion of an advanced firearms safety course. Likewise, in support of his request, Koch cited his experience in safely handling firearms and the completion of various firearms safety courses. The licensing officer denied both requests, noting that neither Nash nor Koch had proper cause to carry a firearm for self-defense under § 400.00(2)(f). New York case law defines proper cause as requiring an applicant to "demonstrate a special need for self-protection distinguishable from that of the general community." The licensing officer found that none of the reasons offered by Nash or Koch for needing to carry a firearm for general self-defense met this proper cause standard

https://ballotpedia.org/New_York_State_Rifle_&_Pistol_Association_Inc._v._Bruen

So neither of these individuals had criminal records, both had taken firearm safety courses, but no they are not allowed to own a gun in a neighbourhood that has crime in it because some government official thinks they don't need a gun for self defence. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Progressives: ThE POLiCE aRE RaYSICST, tHEY MUSt Be dEfunDed.
Also progressives: YOu caN'T oWN A gUN FoR selF dEFEnse, YoU MuST relY oN THE pOLICE to PROtECT YoU.

cerebus

Honorary Master

Rudy Giuliani, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, said in an interview with The New Yorker that he is "afraid" his gravestone will say he "lied for Trump."

Giuliani was asked by the magazine on Sunday if he ever worried that "saying things for Trump, not always being truthful about it" would be his legacy.

"Absolutely," he responded. "I am afraid it will be on my gravestone. 'Rudy Giuliani: He lied for Trump. Somehow, I don't think that will be it. But, if it is, so what do I care? I’ll be dead."

cerebus

Honorary Master

Good riddance.
From the case:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/20-843_7j80.pdf

Some background on the people who are being represented in the case:

So neither of these individuals had criminal records, both had taken firearm safety courses, but no they are not allowed to own a gun in a neighbourhood that has crime in it because some government official thinks they don't need a gun for self defence. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Progressives: ThE POLiCE aRE RaYSICST, tHEY MUSt Be dEfunDed.
Also progressives: YOu caN'T oWN A gUN FoR selF dEFEnse, YoU MuST relY oN THE pOLICE to PROtECT YoU.

The Supreme Court: states cannot have the right to make gun control laws
Also the Supreme Court: abortion rights must be left to the states

rietrot

Honorary Master
It's a constitutional issue.
1 of these is an explicit right people have, the other not.

konfab

Honorary Master
Unlike your beloved "right" to murder children , the right to bear arms is explicitly written in the constitution as a right for everyone.
Stuff that isn't in the constitution gets determined by the states.

And what was practiced by NY state wasn't gun control laws, it was an outright ban on firearm ownership. The court didn't claim that NYS couldn't have gun control laws nor gun licences. This wasn't about doing background checks, or anything like that. The individuals wanted to carry a gun for self defence, and NYS said no.

These people are precisely the people who would never cause an issue with their firearms, they took firearm safety courses, they went through the entire procedure to get a licence, but a good little progressive like yourself would rather they be murdered by a criminal.

surface

Honorary Master

Rudy Giuliani, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, said in an interview with The New Yorker that he is "afraid" his gravestone will say he "lied for Trump."

Giuliani was asked by the magazine on Sunday if he ever worried that "saying things for Trump, not always being truthful about it" would be his legacy.

"Absolutely," he responded. "I am afraid it will be on my gravestone. 'Rudy Giuliani: He lied for Trump. Somehow, I don't think that will be it. But, if it is, so what do I care? I’ll be dead."
but he doesn't believe he lied.

"I figure I can explain it to St. Peter," he continued. "He will be on my side, because I am, so far ... I don’t think, as a lawyer, I ever said anything that’s untruthful. I have a sense of ethics that is as high as anybody you can imagine. I've been doing this forever. I am doing what I believe in. I may not always be right, but I am doing what I believe."

konfab

Honorary Master
ECRdu4QU4AAqJHr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.