• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

US president’s vow to drop countries that are ‘not our friends’ threatens US aid to SA

Tman*

Expert Member
Isn't this what this is? You take my money, do what I tell you...no matter where you stand morally on an issue. Here's your 5 dolla, now stfu and obey orders
Something critical to also mention is, no country was forced to take aid. If you want to take the moral high ground, by all means.

Even the pocket money I received from my folks as a teenager came with certain conditions. No one just gets free money for nothing.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Something critical to also mention is, no country was forced to take aid. If you want to take the moral high ground, by all means.

Even the pocket money I received from my folks as a teenager came with certain conditions. No one just gets free money for nothing.
Something obvious to mention is that the bulk of the money doesn't go to the recipient country's government.

So basically, your folks refusing to pay your sisters pocket money because you refused to date the ugly girl they told you to.

Eniigma

Expert Member
Another thing is that the SA government isn't even anti-US by default. Some issues they vote against them at the UN, others they vote with. Not that Trump understands or cares about nuance, of course.
You mean the same SA Government who's ambassador said they'd send troops / military aid to Venez to stand up to the USA?

Pull the other one.

Eniigma

Expert Member

Something obvious to mention is that the bulk of the money doesn't go to the recipient country's government.

So basically, your folks refusing to pay your sisters pocket money because you refused to date the ugly girl they told you to.
OMFG how do you get that from that?

What you are saying there, is the USA is refusing to pay Sudan's (or Zimbabwe's) aid because South Africa votes against them. Are you really that dense?

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
OMFG how do you get that from that?

What you are saying there, is the USA is refusing to pay Sudan's (or Zimbabwe's) aid because South Africa votes against them. Are you really that dense?
No, you are.

I think you missed the part where in excess of 80% of the aid goes to NGOs, and not the government. Most of that aid will be used by USAID, with the SA govt having no control over where the money is spent. The NGOs will suffer more than the govt. And a lot of politicians will shrug their shoulders because they don't have access to the majority of that cash anyway

Eniigma

Expert Member
No, you are.

I think you missed the part where in excess of 80% of the aid goes to NGOs, and not the government. Most of that aid will be used by USAID, with the SA govt having no control over where the money is spent. The NGOs will suffer more than the govt. And a lot of politicians will shrug their shoulders because they don't have access to the majority of that cash anyway
Ok now your post about the sister makes a little more sense and I see your point. Glad I went with dense and not the stronger words I thought of.

I still stand by the belief that I don't see anything wrong with Trumps stance on this. SA has many times decied the USA and the west but still wants to sit with it's begging bowl out.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Ok now your post about the sister makes a little more sense and I see your point. Glad I went with dense and not the stronger words I thought of.

I still stand by the belief that I don't see anything wrong with Trumps stance on this. SA has many times decied the USA and the west but still wants to sit with it's begging bowl out.
I don't have issue with Trumps stance either. It's up to them what they do with their money, but it sure as hell ain't gonna be "building schools" for themselves as they claim

And it's up to SA to stand it's ground on this issue as well. Being a doormat , (as some seem to suggest is the way to go) will make this worse, not better.

Tman*

Expert Member

I get your point, I think a better example would be:

I pay your family medical aid, but due to the fact that you have a gambling addiction (ANC), I give the money to your son to pay the medical aid. When I find out you no longer take your blood pressure meds, I revoke payments.

Everyone benefits from the aid, but if 1 party doesn't play along, it's revoked and everyone loses.

Swa

Honorary Master
Sidenote: taxes are not donations, it is state revenue taken at the threat of prison time or force.

In what utopia does the taxpayer have any say in how the tax is spent?
Actually they do, in some countries more than others. If they didn't want to give aid to the rest of the world they could campaign for that and pay less taxes. And then there are also people who donate directly.

ponder

Honorary Master
At the end of the day it's their money, how they spend it or who they give it to is nobodies business really.