US visa applicants must now disclose their social media accounts

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
US visa applicants must now disclose their social media accounts

The United States will require nearly all applicants for visas to disclose their social media accounts to the US, the BBC reported.

The US State Department's new regulations require applicants to provide all social media account names as well as all email addresses and phone numbers owned within the past five years.

Praeses

Expert Member
How will they know whether you have one if you don't disclose it? E.g. a twitter account doesn't need to be your real name so how will they know its you if you don't disclose it?

RandomGeek

Hmmm, so if your email address is thedonald@isuckdonkeyschlong.com then you are not getting your visa :)

But seriously, how many social media accounts have you had for the last 5-10 years? So you provide them with the 5 you know of, and then they deny your visa due to you forgetting to put your Google+ account that you used once?!? Interesting to see how this one will turn out

What if you don't use social media...will they believe you? A rarity of course, but I know some people who don't use FB/Instagram/Twitter. Perhaps their only online presence is on LinkedIn...

Mista_Mobsta

Looking at how social media can be abused by fake accounts and bots to drive narratives, I am not surprised the US is doing this. Skynet will be watching you along with his Big Brother...

Pythonista

What if you don't use social media...will they believe you? A rarity of course, but I know some people who don't use FB/Instagram/Twitter. Perhaps their only online presence is on LinkedIn...
I do not use DisgraceBook, Twitter or anything like that. I have 2 emails address - 1 work, 1 private. And a cellphone number.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I do not use DisgraceBook, Twitter or anything like that. I have 2 emails address - 1 work, 1 private. And a cellphone number.
You're missing out. When I need customer support the first thing I check is whether a company has a Twitter account. Always the best service on Twitter.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
It's not a rarity. It's becoming prevalent. But LinkedIn would count as one, not?

Dups!

It's not a rarity. It's becoming prevalent. But LinkedIn would count as one, not?
I am not on Facebook, twitter, Instagram or any other social network (whatsapp excluded--does it even fall under that anyway?) and don't intend to be part of any of that in any way, shape or form.

I wonder, as well, if Trump would let me in. In any case, I prefer France and the UK.

Swa

Honorary Master
What if you don't have any? What counts as social media? What about this forum? What about the hacking forum I was on and forgot about? And that one with his wife's Playboy pictures on?

What's to bet this will only be enforced against certain races again?

LinkedIn I guess can be classified as social media but it's quite different in its purpose compared to FB/Twitter/Instagram. Just people putting their professional accomplishments up there mainly from what I can see. Not very likely that your LinkedIn profile will be a cause for concern for the US authorities. I have yet to see someone post something stupid on LinkedIn...FB & Twitter on the other hand...

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
I closed my FB account. Only other "social media" account I have is my LinkedIn.