USB Printer to two computers

Kraai JK

Hi guys,
I got a usb printer Samsung SCX 3405, D-Link router (uncapped, wireless), 1x computer using windows 7 and 1x computer using windows 10. The printer are currently connected to the computer using windows 10 via USB cable.
I would like to couple the printer to both computers. What would be the easiest way to go.? Can I set up a network printing configuration.? If so, how do I do it.?
One thing, I am not a boffin on computer hardware/software, but with good explanation, I can help myself.
Thanks
Hennie

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
If they are both on the same network and workgroup you can simply right click on the printer and then click "sharing"

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Easiest way to do this is simply to share the printer from the PC it is connected to. Obviously this PC will need to be on for this to work though, if it is off the other PC won't be able to access the printer.

ponder

Honorary Master
Hi guys,
I got a usb printer Samsung SCX 3405, D-Link router (uncapped, wireless), 1x computer using windows 7 and 1x computer using windows 10.

The Samsung SCX 3405 has both ethernet and wi-fi connectivity. If it's close to your d-link router connect the printer to the router using an ethernet cable else connect it via wi-fi to the router. Give the printer a static ip address and set your PCs up to print to the IP address, instructions to do this will be in the printer manual.

Kraai JK

Ja, ja. Sorry for my stupid question. Sure there are something that you are stupid with as well, just to shy to admit. In my original post I did admit, "I am not a boffin ..........." but at least got the guts to ask a question.
I had a IT guy and a boffin in programming here, and they could not set it up to work. That is the reason for my stupid question. Despite all the good response, it still does not work.
Lucky I am not lazy and does not print a lot from the second computer, so I got a cable that I every time swap if need to print.
Maybe it will work once both computers are using Windows 10. (will upgrade at later stage)
Thanks
Hennie

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Ja, ja. Sorry for my stupid question. Sure there are something that you are stupid with as well, just to shy to admit. In my original post I did admit, "I am not a boffin ..........." but at least got the guts to ask a question.
I had a IT guy and a boffin in programming here, and they could not set it up to work. That is the reason for my stupid question. Despite all the good response, it still does not work.
Lucky I am not lazy and does not print a lot from the second computer, so I got a cable that I every time swap if need to print.
Maybe it will work once both computers are using Windows 10. (will upgrade at later stage)
Thanks
Hennie
Don't worry Hennie, we all pull each others legs in here. If someone is pulling your leg it means you're part of the gang.
PM me if you don't come right, I'll help over TeamViewer.

NorthPole

It may be simpler to set the static IP on the router than the printer if done remotely...

airborne

Honorary Master
You set the printer to connect wirelessly and then just run the Samsung setup software on each PC you want to use it and that will discover the printer and then add it.

My Samsung laser printer works flawlessly via WiFi and I print from my laptop, desktop and mobile devices.

Mike Angelo

I have experienced this before with Windows 10. Some or other weird bug. Solved it by connecting the printer to the clients other other PC and then sharing it from there. Only other option is to re-install Windows 10 which can be too much of a hassle. Wireless connection would also not work.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
I thought the ops printer was natively wireless?

If not then sell it and buy one that is, much easier in the long run.
Apparently it does direct wireless print which I assume is geek speak for no LAN server built in. I would connect it wirelessly to the PC nearby and share from there.

For the Windows 10 machine that is sharing the printer, follow this:

For the Windows 7 PC, you should see the printer available once it is shared on Windows 10 by accessing the PC through the network.

Both must be set up for a private LAN so you can broadcast and find shares.

aleksandar

Expert Member
Had some old decent printers without any network capability that I wanted to share with rest of the family.
Got Raspberry PI (you can get older one) installed CUPS and all works like a charm.
Printers are permanently on so anybody can print as the wish.