Use of old South African flag in avatars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Honorary Master
so now i'm curious as to the purpose of it.

to each it has differing meaning.
for my part, i regards it as aesthetically more pleasing than the current flag, which to me looks a little infantile.

as to the meaning of it, try as i may, i'm only able to associate it with government buildings, saps & military.
i know it was obviously seen and used at international sporting events, but i never attended these, hence be being unable to draw association.
for some it represents a symbol of oppression, as a white male, i was never subjected to that oppression and thus not qualified to comment in any way or manner.
i was by means of military conscription, an unwitting participant in the military invasion of townships, but again, not on the receiving end of what was going down

if you have it in your avatar, why is this, what does it really represent to you ?

gamer16

Honorary Master
At the end of the day people will complain, that flag has a lot of meaning to a lot of people, it was a great country at that time for a whole bucket load of reasons, but this is not taken into account, all that people care about is a little bit of discomfort that some suffered.

But I'll still hang the flag if I want, I'll wear a shirt with it on, I'll set it as a wallpaper and I'll look at it proudly knowing all the great things that were achieved. The remainder will look and complain as they have nothing to be proud of as they have done nothing as mostly they are part of noting with no achievements, but yeah, jealousy makes you nasty.

HunterNW

Executive Member
I think it's all in reaction to the court ruling. I've recognised Hunter by his previous avatar and don't think Swa even had one before last week. If they really cared about its heritage, they'd have used it since day one.
If you look closely .... I'm not waving a flag.... It's a dude who put his live at risk for his country back then. My country. My history. My culture.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
At the end of the day people will complain, that flag has a lot of meaning to a lot of people, it was a great country at that time for a whole bucket load of reasons, but this is not taken into account, all that people care about is a little bit of discomfort that some suffered.

But I'll still hang the flag if I want, I'll wear a shirt with it on, I'll set it as a wallpaper and I'll look at it proudly knowing all the great things that were achieved. The remainder will look and complain as they have nothing to be proud of as they have done nothing as mostly they are part of noting with no achievements, but yeah, jealousy makes you nasty.
Except now, you will be charged in terms of the Equality Act.

Status
Not open for further replies.