Use of old South African flag in avatars

Status
Not open for further replies.

HunterNW

Executive Member
Not at all. One day sounds very reasonable. Awesome pic that by the way, exactly the type of image that displays why we should not be banning it completely. Serious sacrifices where made under that flag for good too.
Thanks man. Tomorrow will be a new day with new schit. But no old flag. Atleast no judge can take away your memories.

s0lar

@HunterNW Totally understand not forgetting what is our history. Truth is that is not the reason why 99.9% of people take it out in public be it as an avatar or to the rugby.

Calling it NSFW is a bit overboard, seriously?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
At the end of the day people will complain, that flag has a lot of meaning to a lot of people, it was a great country at that time for a whole bucket load of reasons, but this is not taken into account, all that people care about is a little bit of discomfort that some suffered.

But I'll still hang the flag if I want, I'll wear a shirt with it on, I'll set it as a wallpaper and I'll look at it proudly knowing all the great things that were achieved. The remainder will look and complain as they have nothing to be proud of as they have done nothing as mostly they are part of noting with no achievements, but yeah, jealousy makes you nasty.
I've read a lot of callous crap on this forum, but in the context of this issue, that statement pretty much takes the cake.

terencej

Expert Member
Well, the Judge, unfortunately, ruled in such a way that a visitor to your home is now "empowered" to go and lay a charge because he was offended by your "tee-shirt" when he knocked on your door to ask for a drink of water.
Choose who you let in your home carefully

gamer16

Honorary Master
I thought the way I put it was fairly polite and would represent a problem a large portion of the community would also be experiencing. It was a friendly request to think of others, apologies if that offends you. I do find your response a bit antisocial and rude, which is not usually the style of this forum. Anyways, to each their own.
No no I understand your predicament, thought I put it quite nicely that way instead of just saying tsek. Not trying to be rude, to you at least.

Pitbull

Verboten
so now i'm curious as to the purpose of it.

to each it has differing meaning.
for my part, i regards it as aesthetically more pleasing than the current flag, which to me looks a little infantile.

as to the meaning of it, try as i may, i'm only able to associate it with government buildings, saps & military.
i know it was obviously seen and used at international sporting events, but i never attended these, hence be being unable to draw association.
for some it represents a symbol of oppression, as a white male, i was never subjected to that oppression and thus not qualified to comment in any way or manner.
i was by means of military conscription, an unwitting participant in the military invasion of townships, but again, not on the receiving end of what was going down

if you have it in your avatar, why is this, what does it really represent to you ?
Have an issue with me having the German one?

I mean let's be constant here right?

s0lar

I am still on MyBB as it is one of the last outposts that is not overrun by prissy millennials getting offended. Seriously if anything offends you close your browser or move to another thread. This whole flag thing is a manifestation of the lack of respecting others views which my be polar to your own. Live and let live, move on!

Pitbull

Verboten
Except now, you will be charged in terms of the Equality Act.
No you won't. From what I understand it's being appealed. If the appeal is launched the ruling is set aside till the appeal is herd if I understand it correctly.

MEIOT

Expert Member
I am still on MyBB as it is one of the last outposts that is not overrun by prissy millennials getting offended. Seriously if anything offends you close your browser or move to another thread. This whole flag thing is a manifestation of the lack of respecting others views which my be polar to your own. Live and let live, move on!
Live and let live doesn't really apply when something is clearly unlawful.

Anyway - it's just a flag - a pretty one too. People give way too much power to silly things.

Status
Not open for further replies.