Use of old South African flag in avatars

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer16

Honorary Master
I think you are an attention seeker. The flag is marred with blood shed, and I'm afraid that it will take a lot of bleaching to get those marks out.

By all means, keep the flag. Be sensitive of the context in which you now live.
So what if I am. Yes there was bloodshed, loads. But that's it isn't it, that's all they did and that's all that flag means isn't it? We have to ignore everything else, because of the bloodshed?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm sure it's being discussed somewhere but it wouldn't surprise me if, given yesterday's ruling, MyBB requests people don't use the old flag for their avatar.

Or just removes our ability to choose our own avatars.

mattrudlles

So what if I am. Yes there was bloodshed, loads. But that's it isn't it, that's all they did and that's all that flag means isn't it? We have to ignore everything else, because of the bloodshed?
I have no issue with a person keeping the flag for those fond memories.

But wearing it out in public is insensitive. It doesn't help matters.

The old government ruined that flag, and instead of defending their atrocities you should be blaming them for defiling it.

Pitbull

Verboten
I think you are an attention seeker. The flag is marred with blood shed, and I'm afraid that it will take a lot of bleaching to get those marks out.

By all means, keep the flag. Be sensitive of the context in which you now live.
Poor little snowflakes can go cry in a corner.

I can't be arsed about anyone's FEELZZZZZ. If the flag was causing you physical harm I would maybe agree with you.

Magnum

Expert Member
so now i'm curious as to the purpose of it.

to each it has differing meaning.
for my part, i regards it as aesthetically more pleasing than the current flag, which to me looks a little infantile.

as to the meaning of it, try as i may, i'm only able to associate it with government buildings, saps & military.
i know it was obviously seen and used at international sporting events, but i never attended these, hence be being unable to draw association.
for some it represents a symbol of oppression, as a white male, i was never subjected to that oppression and thus not qualified to comment in any way or manner.
i was by means of military conscription, an unwitting participant in the military invasion of townships, but again, not on the receiving end of what was going down

if you have it in your avatar, why is this, what does it really represent to you ?
Firstly The South-African flag you know represents hardship, Oppression, Death, Murder and Genocide. It was a constant reminder that we are the subjects of the Queen. We belonged to her.

Therefor I as a Boer should hate that flag as my people were killed. Tortured, Fed glass and fish-hooks to eat. Our animals were hamstringed and burned alive. Women and daughters raped. The crimes were so evil that they were removed from history. Nowhere are there any proof or notion that it ever existed.

I should hate that flag with every part of my being, Yet I love that flag. It made us strong It made us feared.

It is my avatar. I proudly fly that Flag, Have 3 of them for good measure, When I leave they come will come with me as that is who and what I am.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No you won't. From what I understand it's being appealed. If the appeal is launched the ruling is set aside till the appeal is herd if I understand it correctly.
I would hope it gets appealed.
The incompetence in the Judiciary is reaching "epidermiese properties"

-The nKandla Parliamenaty circus
-The NPA (before the new appointment)
-The PP
-The SIU
-The Arms contract Commission of Enquiry

Pitbull

Verboten
I'm sure it's being discussed somewhere but it wouldn't surprise me if, given yesterday's ruling, MyBB requests people don't use the old flag for their avatar.

Or just removes our ability to choose our own avatars.
Would it account to gratuitous display? I don't think so...

MEIOT

Expert Member
Firstly The South-African flag you know represents hardship, Oppression, Death, Murder and Genocide. It was a constant reminder that we are the subjects of the Queen. We belonged to her.

Therefor I as a Boer should hate that flag as my people were killed. Tortured, Fed glass and fish-hooks to eat. Our animals were hamstringed and burned alive. Women and daughters raped. The crimes were so evil that they were removed from history. Nowhere are there any proof or notion that it ever existed.
Indeed. No proof whatsoever folks were eating fishhooks and glass. I'm curious as to where these fantasies of yours stem from if there's no proof.

And why fishhooks? Seems so random :laugh:

HunterNW

Executive Member

The old government ruined that flag, and instead of defending their atrocities you should be blaming them for defiling it.
I see plenty folks walking with Fidel Castro on their t shirt.

gamer16

Honorary Master

I'm not defending their atrocities, I just don't like that I am not allowed to be proud of something, especially now that its illegal, what's worse is the whole story is never taken into account and even worse than that you cannot mention a single good thing they did doesn't matter what it is or what good it did people will still be offended by even that.

s0lar

Indeed. No proof whatsoever folks were eating fishhooks and glass. I'm curious as to where these fantasies of yours stem from if there's no proof.

And why fishhooks? Seems so random :laugh:
Quick to point out the suffering during Apartheid but will wilfully gloss over those of the previous humanitarian crime against humanity, namely the Boer war.

Status
Not open for further replies.