Use of old South African flag in avatars

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer16

Honorary Master
I agree that it shouldn't be made illegal to display the flag. But is it honestly the right thing to do by wearing it publicly? These are your private memories, what do they have to do with everyone else?
Well nothing and no one is going to wear it every day but now you can't even wear it at a special event or to memorials or use it at the funeral of a soldier that died who served then etc etc.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
He has a reason for doing so, he clarified it in his post.

He's not just doing it because. Which means it's not gratuitous is it? Maybe my understanding of it is wrong. I don't think he's doing it to annoy anyone.
But that is the part of the ruling that's the problem. And the reason it's being appealed.
Maybe, maybe not but I don't know if MyBB needs or wants to be drawn into the fight right now.

The forum is publicly accessible and it's members have agreed not "to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.". I'm pretty sure that would extend to Avatars.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Maybe, maybe not but I don't know if MyBB needs or wants to be drawn into the fight right now.

The forum is publicly accessible and it's members have agreed not "to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.". I'm pretty sure that would extend to Avatars.
Ban them already - clean up this forum - about time.

Pitbull

Verboten

Remove the avatars completely then. Problem solved. (They have been grinding my balls since the change anyway :D)

We have already lost our signature. Removing avatars should be pretty easy. No harm no foul.

Magnum

Expert Member
Nope. I don't believe that for a second. Old people and their silly tales. Young people and their gullible stupidy. Terrible combination. One more thing amongst a plethora of others as to why the world is going to shite.
Go watch the Documentary.

Pitbull

Verboten
That's a piss poor solution.
Nope,

Perfect solution. You don't have to worry what people put in their avatars and the Forum is clean and professional like it should be.

Just my 2c anyway.

If not, they need to accept people will have the creativity to display they feel a need to display as it suits them. People who don't like it can ignore them and their feels are saved the pain.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I agree that it shouldn't be made illegal to display the flag. But is it honestly the right thing to do by wearing it publicly? These are your private memories, what do they have to do with everyone else?
Don't forget that there may be people that have to travel down Andrew Zondo Road that were either victims of or lost relatives to said person. Put the flag away but have this guy's name up on signs, a bit iffy for me.

In my opinion, with the way things in SA are, there should be NO place names, anthems or flags that have any sort of historical or political connections. At least nothing pre-1994 and with the possible exception of cultural icons. Can't really see a problem with a Johnny Clegg Boulevard or Hugh Masekela Drive. Sure Hugh wrote anti-apartheid stuff, but he's not a politician and cannot be claimed or venerated by a single party. Heck, I'd name something after William Smith (the maths dude) before a politician. Post-1994 sportsmen as well would be safe options.

Our anthem should just be some vanilla English anthem or as someone else said in another thread, purely instrumental.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Remove the avatars completely then. Problem solved. (They have been grinding my balls since the change anyway :D)

We have already lost our signature. Removing avatars should be pretty easy. No harm no foul.
That's like saying cloth with colors on them hurt feelings, so ban cloth's and colors!

Oh wait.

unskinnybob

Expert Member

s0lar

Don't forget that there may be people that have to travel down Andrew Zondo Road that were either victims of or lost relatives to said person.

In my opinion, with the way things in SA are, there should be NO place names, anthems or flags that have any sort of historical or political connections. At least nothing pre-1994 and with the possible exception of cultural icons. Can't really see a problem with a Johnny Clegg Boulevard or Hugh Masekela Drive. Sure Hugh wrote anti-apartheid stuff, but he's not a politician and cannot be claimed or venerated by a single party. Heck, I'd name something after William Smith (the maths dude) before a politician. Post-1994 sportsmen as well would be safe options.

Our anthem should just be some vanilla English anthem or as someone else said in another thread, purely instrumental.

Place and street names should be East Road; Fifth Street; Elephant Hill, etc.
So we just forget it all happened and sing kumbaya

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Well nothing and no one is going to wear it every day but now you can't even wear it at a special event or to memorials or use it at the funeral of a soldier that died who served then etc etc.
You obviously don't understand the judgement handed down yesterday then.

saor

Honorary Master
Or just removes our ability to choose our own avatars.
Or mybb can just moderate them at their own discretion. It's so rare that anyone bothers putting up an avatar that others really take issue with, that if someone does the mods can just remove it. Be stupid to remove avatars for the 0.01% that enjoy stepping on boundaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.