Use PC to phone from Cell Phone number

Sime

I currently switched over to 8ta LTE I have the sim card plugged into a LTE usb dongle, I recharged with a R1000 rand data and got R1000 bonus airtime, my question is is there a way to phone Landlines and cell phones from my computer using my simcard in LTE usb modem instead of taking the simcard out and putting it in a cell phone every time I want to make a call, I did think of linking 2 sim cards together but telkom will only do that if I am on contract, can anyone suggest a program that I can use to phone from my pc using my cellphone number

chrisc

Executive Member
Some TP-Link routers support VOIP and have a USB port for a cellular modem

Arthur

Honorary Master
Watching this thread.

Surely someone has written a soft cellular phone for Windows? Voice and SMS on the PC using a SIM card and a 3g modem?

simm_card

Expert Member
Some dongles can, some can't. My Dlink from Telkom can't.

From my searches, the Call option will be available in the software.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Have been doing this for a couple of years now. You need to unlock the voice function on your huawei dongle and install a uncarriered version of the mobile partner. I have 1 cell c dongle, 1mtn and 1 vodacom that work well .

Have only done it the huawei manufactured dongles

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Ok, here goes.

Might or might not work with your model of modem.
0. Backup your ****, and make a small prayer
1. Insert your modem, let it detect the modem and run the software (mobile partner?) as per normal.Once it is running, and you can see your modem signal strength on the program, exit the program (not minimise). Double check in your notification bar that it is indeed not running.
2. Go to device manager and check that there is a serial port that you can connect to: View attachment 116790 In this case, it is COM4 .Sometimes you can check the port under modems in device manager
3. Download or use a serial terminal like putty : http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.63/x86/putty.exe . Run it, and connect to the serial port
4. I would suggest to switch the echo on in putty : View attachment 116794
5. Type in the com port here : View attachment 116792 and click Open
6. A black terminal window will open. Type in ati and press enter . It will provide you with manufacturer information regarding the modem
7. Type in at^cvoice=? . huawei modem enable voice.jpg It will query whether the voice is enabled on the modem. 1 means voice disabled, 0 means enabled
8. Set the voice to enabled by typing at^cvoice=0 . huawei modem enable voice.jpg If it gives an "error" then your firmware might be locked or that function is not available for your modem. If it says "ok" then you should be ok to continue to the next step.
9. Download a fully enabled version of mobile partner, and install it. e.g. https://www.dc-unlocker.com/downloads/get/LihV26NW . Do not replace your other software, as it may be needed for the drivers for your modem. Rather, select a different folder to install in if you think there will be a conflict.
10. Run the mobile partner software. USSD commands and voice are enabled.

Good luck

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
http://download.ztedevices.com/UpLoadFiles/product/636/3989/manual/2013121314351363.pdf

Seems to make standard gsm calls from what i am reading.
I'll See if i can find a phone to plug in and test.
Yup, you are right....quite surprising that! The only ZTE router i used was using CDMA in another country, and it has the sip config only. This one seems to be using the sim, as when you are trying to call on 2g, you cant run data and voice at the same time. Keep up posted on whether it works.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Yup, you are right....quite surprising that! The only ZTE router i used was using CDMA in another country, and it has the sip config only. This one seems to be using the sim, as when you are trying to call on 2g, you cant run data and voice at the same time. Keep up posted on whether it works.
Will do.

This is by far the best cellular router I have ever bought.
Picks up the slightest signal and gives me at least 3g :)
I have run it for about a week without turning it off and did not lose signal or 3g connectivity once.
I have gone from getting around 450ms ping and .2Mbps to having a stable 30ms ping and about 4mbps download at home (on a plot and quite far from the closest tower).