Used Phone from the USA - Will it work in S.A?

Inky1980

Hi all,

I am in the USA at the moment and have been given a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge by my brother. The phone is used and is currently on AT&T. I have read all over the internet that phones can be region-unlocked by placing a 5 minute phone call from withing the country of purchase on the network provider (AT&T), which will allow me to be able to use a South African sim card once I return. Obviously this has been done already since it's a used phone.

Is this true, or how will I go about getting my S7 to function in South Africa?

Thank you kindly

Last edited:

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
Hi all,

I a'm in the USA at the moment and have been given a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge by my brother. The phone is used and is currently on AT&T. I have read all over the internet that phones can be region-unlocked by placing a 5 minute phone call from withing the country of purchase on the network provider (AT&T), which will allow me to be able to use a South African sim card once I return. Obviously this has been done already since it's a used phone.

Is this true, or how will I go about getting my S7 to function in South Africa?

Thank you kindly

Call ATT and confirm whether the phone is carrier-locked or not. If it's under contract then it's likely locked and you would need to purchase an unlock from those shady sites.

I have never heard about the 5 minute call thing.

Inky1980

Call ATT and confirm whether the phone is carrier-locked or not. If it's under contract then it's likely locked and you would need to purchase an unlock from those shady sites.

I have never heard about the 5 minute call thing.

Hi, thanks for answering. Apparently the account has been paid up and I should be able to unlock it by tomorrow via the ATT website. So once that is done, I should be good to go in SA?

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
Hi, thanks for answering. Apparently the account has been paid up and I should be able to unlock it by tomorrow via the ATT website. So once that is done, I should be good to go in SA?

Get it in writing by an ATT employee, I would go into a store.

Corelli

Expert Member
Yip

That's how it worked with my friends iPhone even though she had to call them from here. They remotely unlocked it for her