User Review: Discovery Insure Car Insurance

Colin62

Executive Member
*bump* Ironically after starting this whole long thread in 2015, I'm now considering moving back to Discovery Insure (because I always did enjoy gamification).

Is anybody here currently with them, and how would you rate their claims experience specifically? I never had to submit a claim with them last time I was with them, so I still don't know this crucial piece of info.
You left out the part where you tell us why you left them in the first place :)

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
You left out the part where you tell us why you left them in the first place :)
I moved back up to Gauteng from the Western Cape, and my new employer encouraged me to try out his amazing insurance broker located just down the road ... and after I left that company and the broker was no longer 'just down the road' it all became a bit irrelevant. Insurance is just a big pit you pour money into until you need it, innit? The one thing I liked with Discovery Insure (and one of the reasons I'm actually going back) is the whole fuel rewards thing gives you some engagement every month ... you get incentivised to be a better driver, get rewards of free smoothies you can collect, get reports to analyse on your driving behaviour ... at least it's something for all that money. Sure you're paying for it anyway, but this other insurer I moved to was literally a black hole because I submitted no claims to them and the only times I communicated with them was when I updated my policy. *shrugs* Meh, I'm not saying I'll even be with Discovery Insure forever, I'll probably move on again at some point when something better comes along, but for now I choose to mix this up a little and gamify my driving.

RoboJedi

Ok, so this thread is a follow-up to this earlier thread. I've successfully completed my transition from Outsurance to Discovery Insure, and so far everything has gone smoothly.

Disclaimer: For the record I am NOT a Discovery salesperson (lol) or connected to Discovery in any way (apart from being a new client). I'm just *really* concentrating on my driving behavior at the moment (for obvious reasons) and I think that some word-of-mouth about Discovery's innovations in this area won't hurt.

Client acquisition - Verdict: Glossy
When I joined Outsurance, I got a single e-mail with my text-intensive policy schedule, and that was that. The experience with Discovery couldn't be more different - you get several e-mails with illustrated and professionally-designed documents attached, introducing you to how the DQ-Track system works, what will be monitored and how you can earn rewards. There's also a wealth of information available online in various guides (a bit too much frankly), but once you've got the hang of it everything should be fine.

Installation of DQ-Track - Verdict: Seamless
Discovery offers both cellphone-based and vehicle-based tracking options (monitoring your driving behavior and offering you rewards for safe driving), and I opted for the vehicle-based tracking option. The installation went smoothly, with the professional technician performing the installation in my work's parking lot in an hour. There's a comprehensive pre- and post-installation check of your vehicle's electrical system, so you've got peace of mind that there aren't any electrical gremlins, and the installer hands you an envelope at the end with your BP fuel rewards card (which you activate simply by sms).

Discovery website - Verdict: Comprehensive
Because I was already a Discovery Health client, I had a client portal on Discovery's website. Once I joined Discovery Insure, a new section opened up automatically on that with all the details related to my car insurance, especially the DQ-Track dashboard. That is really impressive, because honestly what guy doesn't like a good dashboard with gauges and trends and points? Sure it's your driving being monitored (on everything from harsh braking and cornering to how much you drive at night), but I feel the 'scoring mechanism' is very clearly laid out and transparent (best of all you can see how your behavior in each item changes over time).

Discovery driver training - Verdict: Inspirational

Again bear in mind I come from Outsurance, where you never hear from them unless they're trying to sell you a life insurance policy or you have to submit a claim. Discovery, by contrast, offers you an 'EyeGym' course through their website (a bit gimmicky but it's designed to measure and improve your peripheral vision and response speed to visual stimuli), and an online driver training course (with local instructional videos and tests). All of those earn you additional points (which translate into rewards), and you're also encouraged to keep your car maintained (you get additional points for an annual vehicle safety inspection and just for keeping your service history up to date) and take one of four advanced driving courses.

The negatives
Ok, so if all of the above is too glowing, there ARE still a few rough edges, and most of them apply to DQ-Track's own web interface. It's my understanding that DQ-Track is basically a rebranded version of a product offered by C-Track, and as such it appears that C-Track has just tried to convert some pre-existing fleet infrastructure over to a client-centric product for Discovery (whereas everything Discovery Insure has was built from scratch so is a lot more refined). Yes your car's location is visible on a map, but (for example) the interface for that is pretty crude, and there are a few technical niggles (related to map zoom level and deactivated functions). Funnily enough some people have also misunderstand the 'Points of Interest' feature that's offered, and dutifully saved their own personal points of interest to the map (which is then shared as public info!!!). I kid you not, there are POIs on the map called 'My girlfriend', 'Home', 'Jim' etc. Not terribly safe, but hopefully C-Track will address that in a future update.

The future
Those are all just my initial impressions. I still have to receive my first DQ-Track rating of my driver behavior (which I'll share here). I have to see exactly how much I do manage to get back in rewards. I'll have to see (or rather hopefully not!) how slick Discovery's claim process is. On that note Discovery's Android application is pretty slick, allowing you to take photographs and submit a vehicle accident claim from your phone. It's early days yet, but it's heartening to see that Discovery is clearly making an effort to reduce their risk by making a concerted effort to improve their customers' driving behavior (not by punishing them with higher premiums but by offering them online training resources and financial incentives). What other South African car insurance provider can claim to be doing all of that?
The real review kicks in when you try and claim....

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
The real review kicks in when you try and claim....
Yes boss, that's exactly what I've been asking people to share here.

I'm going back to Discovery Insure now so will update the user review in case anything's changed. One thing I've already noticed is that the documentation is a LOT better than it was in the early days, when my review was like all there was publicly available. Now Discovery Insure has put together this handy document that explains how it all works: https://www.discovery.co.za/discovery_coza/web/linked_content/pdfs/insure/your_dq_track_guide.pdf

As for the claiming part, I still hope I won't have to do that ... but if I have at least some faith in them. Discovery Health is pretty awesome (they've paid all my claims without blinking an eye), so I'm hopeful that Discovery Insure follows that same trend (and their complaints record in the annual Insurance Ombudsman's reports is pretty damn competitive with the rest of the industry leaders). If I DO, you bet I'll share the whole experience here.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Alrighty, so round two of updates on this thread starts here ... my cover with Discovery Insure started on 1 May, I had my standalone DQ Track device fitted just last week Friday, and ...

immediate snag.

On Saturday my car's running low on petrol, go into a petrol station (drive around a bit to find a Shell so I can use my spanking new rewards card to get Discovery Insure points - still better than when I first did this at the start of this thread, when it was only BP stations) ... and the petrol attendant says he can't open the flap. I get out, confirm this ... drive down the road, confirm it again ... call BMW OnCall who arrive and also confirm it and say I have to go into a workshop (added frustration = even the emergency fuel flap release isn't working).

Take it into BMW, and their technician confirms that my car's fuel flap opening pin was blocked by my new tracking device ... they fix it, charge me R960 and send me on my way.

I report it to Discovery Insure immediately, send them the workshop report and invoice, get a request mid-week to re-send the documents to a different address, and today, finally, I get the magical call: C-Track admitted liability (the DQTrack unit is basically a rebranded C-Track device) and Discovery Insure will be paying me the full R960 back. Here's the REALLY amazing part though: although the agent told me I'd get the refund in 3 to 5 working days, I got the refund exactly five hours after his call (i.e. exactly one week after issue happened).

Oh, and on Wednesday I also got an sms telling me I'd gotten my first VitalityDrive reward for 100km of 'incident free driving', and I selected a free SterKinekor popcorn (coffees and smoothies were also options).

Not much of a user review as yet, it's too early, but it's good to see that at least some companies haven't forgotten what customer care is. They can not only admit liability, but they'll make a full refund AND pay that refund extremely quickly. Oh, and free popcorn ftw.

Kinda dreading my first Discovery Insure monthly driving report though, I know I haven't been a good little driver this month, but we'll see what money I get back and will share those results here.

Ok, so this thread is a follow-up to this earlier thread. I've successfully completed my transition from Outsurance to Discovery Insure, and so far everything has gone smoothly.

Disclaimer: For the record I am NOT a Discovery salesperson (lol) or connected to Discovery in any way (apart from being a new client). I'm just *really* concentrating on my driving behavior at the moment (for obvious reasons) and I think that some word-of-mouth about Discovery's innovations in this area won't hurt.

Client acquisition - Verdict: Glossy
When I joined Outsurance, I got a single e-mail with my text-intensive policy schedule, and that was that. The experience with Discovery couldn't be more different - you get several e-mails with illustrated and professionally-designed documents attached, introducing you to how the DQ-Track system works, what will be monitored and how you can earn rewards. There's also a wealth of information available online in various guides (a bit too much frankly), but once you've got the hang of it everything should be fine.

Installation of DQ-Track - Verdict: Seamless
Discovery offers both cellphone-based and vehicle-based tracking options (monitoring your driving behavior and offering you rewards for safe driving), and I opted for the vehicle-based tracking option. The installation went smoothly, with the professional technician performing the installation in my work's parking lot in an hour. There's a comprehensive pre- and post-installation check of your vehicle's electrical system, so you've got peace of mind that there aren't any electrical gremlins, and the installer hands you an envelope at the end with your BP fuel rewards card (which you activate simply by sms).

Discovery website - Verdict: Comprehensive
Because I was already a Discovery Health client, I had a client portal on Discovery's website. Once I joined Discovery Insure, a new section opened up automatically on that with all the details related to my car insurance, especially the DQ-Track dashboard. That is really impressive, because honestly what guy doesn't like a good dashboard with gauges and trends and points? Sure it's your driving being monitored (on everything from harsh braking and cornering to how much you drive at night), but I feel the 'scoring mechanism' is very clearly laid out and transparent (best of all you can see how your behavior in each item changes over time).

Discovery driver training - Verdict: Inspirational
Again bear in mind I come from Outsurance, where you never hear from them unless they're trying to sell you a life insurance policy or you have to submit a claim. Discovery, by contrast, offers you an 'EyeGym' course through their website (a bit gimmicky but it's designed to measure and improve your peripheral vision and response speed to visual stimuli), and an online driver training course (with local instructional videos and tests). All of those earn you additional points (which translate into rewards), and you're also encouraged to keep your car maintained (you get additional points for an annual vehicle safety inspection and just for keeping your service history up to date) and take one of four advanced driving courses.

The negatives
Ok, so if all of the above is too glowing, there ARE still a few rough edges, and most of them apply to DQ-Track's own web interface. It's my understanding that DQ-Track is basically a rebranded version of a product offered by C-Track, and as such it appears that C-Track has just tried to convert some pre-existing fleet infrastructure over to a client-centric product for Discovery (whereas everything Discovery Insure has was built from scratch so is a lot more refined). Yes your car's location is visible on a map, but (for example) the interface for that is pretty crude, and there are a few technical niggles (related to map zoom level and deactivated functions). Funnily enough some people have also misunderstand the 'Points of Interest' feature that's offered, and dutifully saved their own personal points of interest to the map (which is then shared as public info!!!). I kid you not, there are POIs on the map called 'My girlfriend', 'Home', 'Jim' etc. Not terribly safe, but hopefully C-Track will address that in a future update.

The future
Those are all just my initial impressions. I still have to receive my first DQ-Track rating of my driver behavior (which I'll share here). I have to see exactly how much I do manage to get back in rewards. I'll have to see (or rather hopefully not!) how slick Discovery's claim process is. On that note Discovery's Android application is pretty slick, allowing you to take photographs and submit a vehicle accident claim from your phone. It's early days yet, but it's heartening to see that Discovery is clearly making an effort to reduce their risk by making a concerted effort to improve their customers' driving behavior (not by punishing them with higher premiums but by offering them online training resources and financial incentives). What other South African car insurance provider can claim to be doing all of that?
Hi there!

Fast forward 5years later. I'm currently an Outsurance client thinking of moving to Discovery. Are your experiences still the same? Have you changed? What could you advise before making the switch?

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Hi there!

Fast forward 5years later. I'm currently an Outsurance client thinking of moving to Discovery. Are your experiences still the same? Have you changed? What could you advise before making the switch?
I'm still with Discovery Insure. Actually tried another requote a few months ago with Outsurance and the quote was still dismal. I have another good Discovery claim under my belt too: in January 2019 they paid to have a new windscreen installed for my BMW after the other one had a chip in it, and the excess was covered from my Excess Funder Account (I'd been sending my early rewards there instead of cashing out). Now I've got R5000 in that account, I've switched my rewards to cash back, and get about R300 back in the middle of every month. Oh wait, Discovery Insure also replaced my iPad Pro under my valuables cover without batting an eyelid, after it was stolen from my holiday apartment by burglars. I'd only had it two months at that stage. They got me a new one, facilitated the whole replacement, and didn't even increase my premium. So yeah, I say go for it ... I get the feeling I get a better premium because I also pay for Discovery Health and Vitality, but that's just a suspicion. Overall it works for me, but I guess the real test will be a theft of my car. Let's hope that never happens!

I'm still with Discovery Insure. Actually tried another requote a few months ago with Outsurance and the quote was still dismal. I have another good Discovery claim under my belt too: in January 2019 they paid to have a new windscreen installed for my BMW after the other one had a chip in it, and the excess was covered from my Excess Funder Account (I'd been sending my early rewards there instead of cashing out). Now I've got R5000 in that account, I've switched my rewards to cash back, and get about R300 back in the middle of every month. Oh wait, Discovery Insure also replaced my iPad Pro under my valuables cover without batting an eyelid, after it was stolen from my holiday apartment by burglars. I'd only had it two months at that stage. They got me a new one, facilitated the whole replacement, and didn't even increase my premium. So yeah, I say go for it ... I get the feeling I get a better premium because I also pay for Discovery Health and Vitality, but that's just a suspicion. Overall it works for me, but I guess the real test will be a theft of my car. Let's hope that never happens!
Thanks alot for the insight! :)