Username and password for Vodacom Huawei Gateway

Neural

I have installed Vodacom FTTH and I have been given a Vodacom Huawei HG659 gateway.

When going to the browser, it defaults to 10.0.0.254 and asks for a username and password. The default username is "vbn_cpe" and blank password.

The fibre is up and running but I want to change the standard IP address of the gateway and rename the SSIDs. Anyone out there know what the password is for that username? I have tried the normal U : P of admin : vodacom and admin : admin which doesn't work.

I have phoned Vodacom FTTH support and they have escalated the query - no-one knows the password (or maybe not willing to part with it).

Many thanks

notayoba

Following this thread, hoping someone has an answer.

Vodacom made a unilateral decision overnight to update my firmware and lock me out of my own router that I paid for. Now I can't update my MAC Address filtering. Unbelievable arrogance from their side.

Neural

Nothing yet - I wanted the IP address of my router change and they did it remotely for me. Refused to give a username and password. Said that too many people were changing their settings and causing problems with their routers that they had to then send people out to repair.

I agree, this is going to be a sticking point for a lot of people that have choice of their service provider once their fibre line is in. Will put many off Vodacom.

zeely

in theory you should be able to stick your own router in between your lan and their router, and manage everything there?

Not ideal, but will help for most powerusers

notayoba

I guess that's why they didn't allow a straight up purchase of the router, but forced me into a contract.

So it probably belongs to Vodacom on some legal technicality. So you have a router, but can't do anything with it. The mind boggles.

Neural

This is the point they try to make is that it is a "managed" line - they are quite clear on that and they don't want anyone but them to manage it.

On the order form it states "Router Leased (Huawei HG659)".

Last edited:

savage

Expert Member
This is the point they try to make is that it is a "managed" line - they are quite clear on that and they don't want anyone but them to manage it.

On the order form it states "Router Leased (Huawei HG659)".

Then it's a managed line, and a managed router - their property. Doubt you'll get username/password, if you want settings changed, log a ticket and bend over.

ISPs are frequently doing this with fixed lines as well (Metro Ethernet, X21, etc).

tcgcomp

Vodacom HG659 Router

Password has been updated. This no longer works...
Come Coza, weave your magic again!

I have been in contact with Vodacom for over 2 days now and they are not a very helpful bunch, We require setting changes that needs to be done via the router but they keep on saying you need to change via the portal. The portal does not offer what needs to be done, I have now sent a mail hoping to get a response with new password for router.

How can we run a business when you can not even configure your required settings?

Neural

I have been in contact with Vodacom for over 2 days now and they are not a very helpful bunch, We require setting changes that needs to be done via the router but they keep on saying you need to change via the portal. The portal does not offer what needs to be done, I have now sent a mail hoping to get a response with new password for router.

How can we run a business when you can not even configure your required settings?

The call centre is helpful, but 80% needs to go to the "backoffice" team and they are very poor at communicating / coming back to you until you get a guy like Adriaan that takes up the problem. Very efficient.

Very little you can do through the portal. Managed line, managed router and they will not give you the password for the vbe_cpe username. They say you must phone it to get the settings changed.

zeely

i plonked a mikrotik router between their cpe and my lan. now I dont have to touch their device and I can configure everything I want to my hearts content

Neural

i plonked a mikrotik router between their cpe and my lan. now I dont have to touch their device and I can configure everything I want to my hearts content

True - the only other option that works.

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Yeah seems like this password doesnt work anymore, please could someone try get it again