Username and password for Vodacom Huawei Gateway

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
-sigh- The ONT is married to the OLT. You can not plug your fiber into a different router if you're using FTTx - frankly, FTTx is not even Ethernet, and it won't work on any normal Ethernet based router. There are limitations to the MAC addresses of the routers, encryption settings, just to mention a few... A FTTx router of one provider, will not work on a network from a different FTTx provider either.

That's precisely how these FTTx providers 'lock in' an area to force them to use their networks, and their equipment, AFAIK. And it's precisely why it's not 'true' open access networks. You will unfortunately, forever be stuck with Vodacom's CPE, until such time that someone else puts in different / alternative infrastructure in the area, which is unlikely.

All that the industry is doing with their "open access" networks, is to create hundreds of isolated islands in the fiber arena, there is, and never will be, any interoperability and interchangeability of equipment on FTTx networks. If Vodacom put the fiber in your area, Vodacom owns you. If Telkom put fiber in your area, Telkom owns you. If Frogfoot put fiber in your area, Frogfoot owns you (for FTTx networks at least).

If you're not using FTTx but rather something like point to point fiber or active Ethernet, then yes, that's a different story and you could replace the router with something else. Even better (and what should be happening), is that the network should be "open access" right up to the Layer 1 field (i.e. physical fiber), meaning that you can use any equipment, the service provider can use any equipment, and equipment can be freely changed and interconnected as / when required.

so are you saying, that if I get Vodacom fiber, I am stuck with the crappy Hauwei router and cannot replace it with my own MikroTik router?

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
That is the idea with sniffing the credentials... (Vodacom's T&Cs mention that they are allowed to configure additional SSIDs as well... A router on your network not under your control should be considered a hostile device...

And in my mind an invasion of privacy

kevinswan007

Expert Member
I was able to obtain my fibre credentials via the mikrotik PPPOE server way.
Now running a much more powerful wifi router. Thanks all for the help.

Singhms

Hi Guys, am I correct in saying that the Broadband lite sim card cannot be used in any other devices? Is there a way around this to use it in a mifi device while travelling?

deonmoodley

Hi Guys, am I correct in saying that the Broadband lite sim card cannot be used in any other devices? Is there a way around this to use it in a mifi device while travelling?
I suspect the reason it wont just work in a mifi device is due to the apn that it uses. The standard apn that your phone or mifi device would use is "internet". If you could get these settings of vodacoms router you could make it work anywhere.

Singhms

I suspect the reason it wont just work in a mifi device is due to the apn that it uses. The standard apn that your phone or mifi device would use is "internet". If you could get these settings of vodacoms router you could make it work anywhere.
Thanks for the response. The current APN setting in the mifi is internet and it does not work. Does anyone know what the APN would be?

Singhms

Thanks for the response. The current APN setting in the mifi is internet and it does not work. Does anyone know what the APN would be?

Bump, any idea how to use the Broadband Lite sim in a mifi device?

Singhms

According to vodacom the sim is configured to only work the router it came with ...

Wynand_RZA

hi, does anyone have the latest Username and password for the Vodacom Huawei gateway HG659?

Lashie130

hi, does anyone have the latest Username and password for the Vodacom Huawei gateway HG659?
Unfortunately, you have to phone them to get access to the router 082 1904. From there I disabled the remote access in the maintenance tab and reset the router password to my own. Did this about 6 months ago and haven't had a problem since

Wynand_RZA

Unfortunately, you have to phone them to get access to the router 082 1904. From there I disabled the remote access in the maintenance tab and reset the router password to my own. Did this about 6 months ago and haven't had a problem since
Thank you good sir, will phone them.

hume

Just tried them now, they work, I haven't bothered messing with the MAC (or tested it for longer than it takes to write this post...)... (The router have been behaving itself - I haven't been that motivated to try it...) (A previous time it lost its IP and I had to phone them to change the password to allow me in again...)

(It is an 8 character mix of upper and lower case characters...) (The username is in this format: 1-###########@vodaftth.co.za (Where "#" represents a digit))

(There are actually two connections configured, the one seems to be meant just for the TR-069 management, with a username of guest@vbbbc.co.za and a password of guest@vb)

Code:
Oct 29 15:59:56 mohagpc pppd[8584]: Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.7/rp-pppoe.so loaded.
Oct 29 15:59:56 mohagpc pppd[8584]: RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.8p compiled against pppd 2.4.7
Oct 29 15:59:56 mohagpc pppd[8590]: pppd 2.4.7 started by root, uid 0
Oct 29 15:59:56 mohagpc pppd[8590]: PPP session is 11259
Oct 29 15:59:56 mohagpc pppd[8590]: Connected to 00:1b:0d:e7:dc:c0 via interface enp4s0
Oct 29 15:59:56 mohagpc pppd[8590]: Using interface ppp1
Oct 29 15:59:56 mohagpc pppd[8590]: Connect: ppp1 <--> enp4s0
Oct 29 15:59:56 mohagpc pppd[8590]: PAP authentication succeeded
Oct 29 15:59:56 mohagpc pppd[8590]: peer from calling number 00:1B:0D:E7:DC:C0 authorized
Oct 29 15:59:56 mohagpc pppd[8590]: Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP
Oct 29 15:59:56 mohagpc pppd[8590]: local  IP address <snip>
Oct 29 15:59:56 mohagpc pppd[8590]: remote IP address 105.246.0.1
Not sure what MAC the 00:1b:0d:e7:dc:c0 is, it is not one that is on my ONT or my PC. It might be the other side of the PPPoE connections MAC (That seems likely - it is a Cisco MAC address...)
Howzit Guys...
Who can help with a step by step guide with some real noob detail on how to get the PPOE credentials, im struggling with all the jargon
Would really be appreciated...

Lashie130

Howzit Guys...
Who can help with a step by step guide with some real noob detail on how to get the PPOE credentials, im struggling with all the jargon
Would really be appreciated...
You have to e-mail 0821904@vodacom.co.za.
- In the subject line put in your Solution ID.
- Tell them you require the PPpOE Username and Password. They usually don't require any reasoning in the e-mail.
- After that call the fibre call centre 082 1904 and give them the reference number from the automated response you get after sending the mail.
- Tell them to please escalate it to the correct department
- Response took 2 days for me
- username is on the router under the Internet tab (after logging into the router)
- On the left select Internet Settings (I think)
- Under Internet your username should be there
- The password is blocked out which is why you have to mail them for it
- the username is usually your SolutionID@vodacomftth.co.za

I had to request this as I changed my router at home.

Ryan03

You have to e-mail 0821904@vodacom.co.za.
- In the subject line put in your Solution ID.
- Tell them you require the PPpOE Username and Password. They usually don't require any reasoning in the e-mail.
- After that call the fibre call centre 082 1904 and give them the reference number from the automated response you get after sending the mail.
- Tell them to please escalate it to the correct department
- Response took 2 days for me
- username is on the router under the Internet tab (after logging into the router)
- On the left select Internet Settings (I think)
- Under Internet your username should be there
- The password is blocked out which is why you have to mail them for it
- the username is usually your SolutionID@vodacomftth.co.za

I had to request this as I changed my router at home.

I've tried this and Vodacom have told me they cant give out the password. Apparently they don't have access to it :/

danmanv1

FYI - Signed up for Vodacom fibre mid July 2019 and was supplied a Nokia G240W router which has the fibre directly connected to the Nokia router's SC/APC connector. Good luck finding a replacement consumer router with an SC/APC connector. Looks like only option is to double NAT going forward.

eagle2k

Ive got 7 of these routers on my name from Vodacom Business and they don't want to give out the login details. So what now? Anyone had any luck on this again?

Neural

The 2.4 GHZ channel on my Huawei HG 659 router has died (little over 2 years old). Anyone else had this problem The 5 GHz channel is working fine. Will see how long it takes to get swopped out.