Username and password for Vodacom Huawei Gateway

Kaboupas

Hello guys,

I have been strangling for some time now to get the bloody PPPoE info from one of the Vodacom supplied Huawei routers. So I discovered another way, without the use of a MikroTic router (since I do not own one).
Keep in mind that you could download the x86 MicroTic operating system for free from the MicroTic website and use it for 24h without license. Just install it on a spare hard drive and boot from it.

To give credit where credit is due, the solution is based on the one described at: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=314042&sid=16556dfe34b84fdb780d19a7dca8b43d
and at: https://mooshikam.wordpress.com/2007/10/10/how-to-recover-a-lost-pppoe-password/

So the basic idea is still revolving around the use of a PPPoE server to retrieve the user credentials.

In this case one can use a "live" version of Ubuntu (no need to install ubuntu, just boot it through a USB stick)

Once booted Ubuntu, open terminal and:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ppp
wget https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/rp-pppoe/download/rp-pppoe-3.15.tar.gz
tar -zxvf rp-pppoe-3.15.tar.gz
cd rp-pppoe-3.15/src/
apt-get install build-essential
./configure
make
make install
chmod 777 /etc/ppp/pppoe-server-options
chmod 777 /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

Find the file "pppoe-server-options" using ubuntu's file explorer at /etc/ppp/pppoe-server-options and edit it like this:
Code:
require-pap
login
lcp-echo-interval 10
lcp-echo-failure 2
show-password
debug
logfile /var/log/pppoe-server-log

Then in the same path open pap-secrets at /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and edit it like this:
Code:
# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client server secret IP addresses
"guest@vb.co.za" * ""

Back in terminal
Code:
touch /var/log/pppoe-server-log
chmod 0774 /var/log/pppoe-server-log
pppoe-server -F -I enp1s0 -O /etc/ppp/pppoe-server-options

In other terminal:
Code:
sudo tail -f /var/log/pppoe-server-log

I hope this solution helps others!

element1

Hello guys,

I have been strangling for some time now to get the bloody PPPoE info from one of the Vodacom supplied Huawei routers. So I discovered another way, without the use of a MikroTic router (since I do not own one).
Keep in mind that you could download the x86 MicroTic operating system for free from the MicroTic website and use it for 24h without license. Just install it on a spare hard drive and boot from it.

To give credit where credit is due, the solution is based on the one described at: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=314042&sid=16556dfe34b84fdb780d19a7dca8b43d
and at: https://mooshikam.wordpress.com/2007/10/10/how-to-recover-a-lost-pppoe-password/

So the basic idea is still revolving around the use of a PPPoE server to retrieve the user credentials.

In this case one can use a "live" version of Ubuntu (no need to install ubuntu, just boot it through a USB stick)

Code:
sudo apt-get install ppp
cd rp-pppoe-3.15/src/
./configure
make
make install

Find the file "pppoe-server-options" using ubuntu's file explorer at /etc/ppp/pppoe-server-options and edit it like this:
Code:
require-pap
login
lcp-echo-interval 10
lcp-echo-failure 2
show-password
debug

Then in the same path open pap-secrets at /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and edit it like this:
Code:
"guest@vb.co.za" * ""

Back in terminal
Code:

In other terminal:
Code:

This worked for me..

Thank you for sharing!!

FYI the approach I took was to setup a Linux image on VirtualBox instead of booting from a separate USB.

eagle2k

This worked for me..

Thank you for sharing!!

FYI the approach I took was to setup a Linux image on VirtualBox instead of booting from a separate USB.
I've also tried this

when I run this command

on my interface name it just runs.. nothing happens

then ctrl C to stop the operation to run it again but then it's just stuck again

Running LIVE ubuntu and I have a AR129 router from vodacom business LTE

So I don't think I have PPPOE settings?

The easiest would be is to reflash the router, but can't find the firmware anywhere

Tried registering on Huawei site but it's still not showing up on my registered devices

eagle2k

If someone can help me with this, I have about 30 x AR129 routers than need unlocking. Vodacom couldn't help me even after contract ended

element1

I've also tried this

when I run this command

on my interface name it just runs.. nothing happens

then ctrl C to stop the operation to run it again but then it's just stuck again

Running LIVE ubuntu and I have a AR129 router from vodacom business LTE

So I don't think I have PPPOE settings?

The easiest would be is to reflash the router, but can't find the firmware anywhere

Tried registering on Huawei site but it's still not showing up on my registered devices

Confirm the name of your network adapter..?

On my instance it was eth0 and not enp1s0

eagle2k

Mine was something else, for I was using live ubuntu so I ran an ifconfig or something to see the specific name of the network bridged port to the ar129 router through windows

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Hello guys,

Code:
sudo apt-get install ppp
cd rp-pppoe-3.15/src/
./configure
make
make install

Code:
require-pap
login
lcp-echo-interval 10
lcp-echo-failure 2
show-password
debug

Code:
"guest@vb.co.za" * ""

Back in terminal
Code:

In other terminal:
Code:

tried this with their new DN8245W2-7T routers, and no go , the log file stays empty :(

ijacobs3

Expert Member
You are trying to get a pppoe login for “LTE” ?
nope , business fibre account, this stupid router , even though you can not log into it, port forwarding is very broken, they try to add 80 and 443 from their side, and it says good, but doesn't happen here ( ports not open) and if you try to add it yourself, you get a message that says "nope" .
1629199642871.png

Tried to google the issue, but the Haweueueueiiiiii support sites all say you cant use it, contact your carrier.

So i'm trying to get the username and password, so i can use another router that does work. In the sign off docs, they did give the pppoe username, but not the password sadly

eagle2k

nope , business fibre account, this stupid router , even though you can not log into it, port forwarding is very broken, they try to add 80 and 443 from their side, and it says good, but doesn't happen here ( ports not open) and if you try to add it yourself, you get a message that says "nope" .
View attachment 1128442

Tried to google the issue, but the Haweueueueiiiiii support sites all say you cant use it, contact your carrier.

So i'm trying to get the username and password, so i can use another router that does work. In the sign off docs, they did give the pppoe username, but not the password sadly
If anyone finds a solution to this

They changed it somehow and I've also been struggling to get the pppoe login for lte and can't obtain access to the routers anymore.

They control everything remotely and I have 5 x Ar129 routers and 3 x B315 vodacom business routers (discontinued)

I don't have the new one they brought out now

eagle2k

Considering how many security bulletins are out for the AR129, I wouldn’t bother with it unless you can flash the latest firmware. Routers never get updated and patched security wise and make easy targets. There should be some kind of recovery mode whereby you can flash it. I’ve seen some firmware on Huawei’s pages.
I tried obtaining the original flash firmware. But you have to register the router with Huawei. Can't find a copy of the original firmware anywhere for the AR129

eagle2k

Although I'd like to use the LTE in a router with 4G plus.

Because Vodacom Business is limiting the AR129 routers and all LTE on Business to the single 900MHz band frequency

It's not on auto I'm afraid. They locked it to 900MHz, that's why Vodacom Business LTE is so much worse than Personal Vodacom LTE

ijacobs3

Expert Member
To be expected, you can’t port map 80 or 443 as the router uses those ports for its web interface. Hence the error ‘internal service’
how then have i done it on the hg659 ( older one) so any request that hits it from our public IP on port 80 -> to internal server on port xx ? and on multiple routers before then?

either way, the crux of it is, that it seems one cannot get the pppoe password out of this thing :(

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Different routers use different firmware and functions differ. It’s very simple to obtain pppoe credentials provided they are still using pap authentication (sends the password in clear text). If they have updated the security and switched to mschapv2, you’re S.O.L
it also seems they have a higher level log in, as the vodacom login gives you some room to tinker, but not a lot

ijacobs3

Expert Member
The reason I posted the Mikrotik method is because most people replace the vodacom routers with Microtik, the process is still the same even on the latest Mikrotik firmware.
Yeah, i had tried this way

may have to get a Mikrotik router and give it a try

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Got the admin password for the shitty new routers, done a firmware backup, got the password, ran it through some scratchy Hawaii application to decrypt it ( the usual tools didn’t work) and now running on my own router :)

Much better