Using Buffalo to buy from Banggood and AliExpress

Gnome

Executive Member
In the past they showed it all to you, but this changed quite some time ago
So they are actively trying to hide it now?

So I'm sorry but as I originally thought the claim is patently false. Sure there would be some outliers that would come close,but I very much doubt it would ever actually be cheaper.
Those items aren't shipped and sold by Amazon tho...

I will admit I often only buy larger items on Amazon and in those cases the shipping is cheaper.

Stupid little niknaks I wouldn't buy from Amazon and often not even from Banggood. I often just use eBay.

It's the SARS/Customs handling and shipping fee and likely also paid by Amazon which is why they charge you the deposit.
Yeah ok sure, the fact is, I know exactly what I pay when I buy from Amazon.

In fact I don't think the couriers try to f@#k around with Amazon orders because they know they have their sh#t covered.
I've even had issues once when Amazon was still largely using Aramex.
When I complained to Aramex, they couldn't care less.
One call to Amazon later and Aramex managers are calling to make sure I'm happy, etc.

Aramex is always slapping some or other fees onto things, probably why Buffalo (aka Aramex) decided to hide the invoice.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Is it VAT? Because IIRC VAT isn't charged below R250

Also to clear this misconception up there is actually no such rule or limit and it all relates to the 2 x Gift Allowances per year of R1400 each tota.

Nothing from Banggood should qualify under this criteria, but it's likely why you get the option to remove the branding from the box.

It used to be R500 or some such back in the day.

The reason people believe VAT isn't charged on low-value items originates from this, but actually it's because SARS has been so lax and backlogged in doing their jobs that they've just let small items slip under the radar.

Outside of this gift allowance you can and should be charged VAT on anything and everything regardless how low or high it's value.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yeah ok sure, the fact is, I know exactly what I pay when I buy from Amazon.

Yes but that is an argument of convenience.

You claimed it was cheaper...which is simply not true.

Aramex is always slapping some or other fees onto things, probably why Buffalo (aka Aramex) decided to hide the invoice.

It really all depends on the seller and how they deal with it and I wouldn't be so quick to judge the courier in the middle.

Also what makes you think Buffalo is always Aramex? I haven't once received any indication of Aramex touching any of my Buffalo packages. DHL mostly. They use the entire lot depending on where it needs to go and what it is and when etc.

Either way there is obviously going to be a difference in the services offered for the difference in cost, which is why it sounded so ridiculous when you claimed Amazon is cheaper when they aren't by a very long shot.

Buffalo has made international shipping to South Africa ridiculously cheap and convenient, often easily no different than ordering from local, so quite honestly to get in a tizz about a R50 is really just bizarre.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So they are actively trying to hide it now?

Does Amazon break it down for you? Or do you just ignore it as a whole because it was paid for up front?

I don't recall them giving me a deep detailed break down on my last order, but if it was there you'll likely find the same R54 odd handling fee somewhere in the middle.

Gnome

Executive Member
You claimed it was cheaper...which is simply not true.
Depends what you buy. When I buy lots of items, it is cheaper.

IE> I built a new computer the other day. So I ordered motherboard, SSD, case, RAM, everything from Amazon, total shipping was $60. I knew what I was paying, there were no other fees and because I order a bunch of items, the price for shipping doesn't increase with each item and shipping included way cheaper than locally or something similar on Banggood (not that they really sell good quality computer hardware).

I did the same with Banggood for a bunch of things and they all arrived in different shipments which I had to pay fees for, for every single package.
Those R50+ charges per delivery add up really quick. Ended up paying a ton of money for my banggood order and most of it was paid locally with no invoice or reason for it. You just get an email saying, hi pay R500 for this. Who knows why.

So yes, I do prefer the Amazon model quite frankly.

When I'm buying niknaks, sure they can't possible charge that much and if they do I just tell them to forget it.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Depends what you buy. When I buy lots of items, it is cheaper.

IE> I built a new computer the other day. So I ordered motherboard, SSD, case, RAM, everything from Amazon, total shipping was $60. I knew what I was paying, there were no other fees and because I order a bunch of items, the price for shipping doesn't increase with each item and shipping included way cheaper than locally or something similar on Banggood (not that they really sell good quality computer hardware).

I did the same with Banggood for a bunch of things and they all arrived in different shipments which I had to pay fees for, for every single package.
Those R50+ charges per delivery add up really quick. Ended up paying a ton of money for my banggood order and most of it was paid locally with no invoice or reason for it. You just get an email saying, hi pay R500 for this. Who knows why.

So yes, I do prefer the Amazon model quite frankly.

When I'm buying niknaks, sure they can't possible charge that much and if they do I just tell them to forget it.

Aaah I see where the problem comes in yes.

Banggood does use multiple warehouses and sometimes if you choose the wrong items from different ones then they will indeed split the order for obvious logistical reasons.

It is something to pay some attention to, because while it does get displayed as split out it’s all in one row and appears like one big cart.

But you are right Amazon is good for bigger orders like that and it’s the only time I buy from them because then it does make sense to do so as the shipping cost is justified.

For smaller things it’s their baseline shipping cost that is the problem and that’s the kind of product Banggood excels at.

You can request the full customs order from Buffalo and they don’t have an issue to supply it.

Divine Master of Unknown

Honorary Master
my luck has run out

got an email from Buffalo asking my ID number on their website
i put it in and and got told i have ordered more than 3 times this year

now i need to get an Importers Code at SARS, what a paperwork mission this is gonna be now

you may only order on your ID number 3 times a year for a total not exceeding R20 000
So you thought I was joking yesterday?

Dear @Papa Smurf

Since we see you're a regular importer, please provide us with your Importer's Permit.

Yours Lovingly
SARS

bokka1

Expert Member
^ I must remember this. I was highly impressed with my first Banggood order and was going to order a few more stuff such as the Weber thermometer that @Papa Smurf recommended.

How big of a mission is it to register as an importer?

Gnome

Executive Member
Give the TL;DR for importer effort?

I import a lot and somehow I'm still never falling into this trap.

msmoorad

What the hell..$4.99. for a.phone cover and $80.67 shipping?

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_191306.jpg
    IMG_20200907_191306.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 92

Jake45

Expert Member
What the hell..$4.99. for a.phone cover and $80.67 shipping?
Some of the Aliexpress sellers are currently unable to use their usual cheap shipping options to South Africa due to the Covid-19 lockdown and flight restrictions. Try to take a snapshot of the product and use the video search option in the Aliexpress app to find the same product from several different suppliers and you may be able to find a seller that can ship the same item cheaply to South Africa.

warlock

Imports code are free and take 2 weeks to obtain, while they are processing you can use the case number for your imports, and the import code are for life.
It's very simple to apply and quite painless.

Buffalo are now not sending to your door but are to your nearest PEP

Pho3nix

The Legend
Imports code are free and take 2 weeks to obtain, while they are processing you can use the case number for your imports, and the import code are for life.

They sent to my door?

Leisure Larry

If it involves any 'waiting in line' at government offices, it's never painless! Just look at how the licencing departments have become. Using covid as a scapegoat for laziness level 100.
Or is it now possible to apply online for a code?

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Buffalo is door to door. They're a Chinese company, who only do CN <-> SA.

I just ordered some equipment on taobao, had to ship to Buffalo's office in Shenzhen which was annoying, as they told me could drop at their Shanghai offices. If they didn't tell me lies, I would have had the sender ship directly to them.

Should arrive next week some time. My first attempt using them.

Gnome

Executive Member
Buffalo is no longer shipping door to door in my case. They've been sending everything to the closest Pep store. Anyone else experiencing this too?