Using cellular phones' Flight Mode on South African planes

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
This is utter kak, I always have my phone on offline mode in the plane and the plane has never dropped from the sky.

What these halfwits fail to realise is that these planes are actually designed to handle interference.

ajax

Executive Member
IMHO a tablet pc without GSM/3G capability is the best entertainment tool for long haul flights.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
"....we would hear of more planes crashing due to a phone being left on either intentionally by a terrorist...."

or Rouxenator! :D

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
"....we would hear of more planes crashing due to a phone being left on either intentionally by a terrorist...."

or Rouxenator! :D

It's ridiculous to blame Rouxenator. If he was involved in any crash then it would be because he drives an Opel :p

DenSweep

Firstly, is there even coverage that high up? And if so, will the signal being that high not interfere in any way, whether or not you are in the plane or 30000 feet below?
Secondly, I have no problem with cell phones being banned. At least the actual voice part of it. I have no desire to sit next to some love smitten kid or some anxious businessman or a worried mother yapping on and on.

As for devices with flight mode, I totally agree, but the problem is that not everyone abides by keeping their phones in flight mode only and you can not expect the flight attendants to check everyone's phone every 10 minutes or at random intervals. All that being said, I have once or twice now had a flight where I've forgotten to switch of my phone and it had been on all flight.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
i always leave my phone on in flight mode and no plane I've been on has ever fallen out of the sky.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
So I guess I should place my Netbook in airplane mode next time I fly? Esp seeing that it has 3g/wifi and Bluetooth.

Odd thing I been to Europe, USA, China, Malaysia, Australia and New Zealand with it and still didn't have problems....
Actually searching through other laptops on the plane, browsing through people's files make the trip shorter.

ajax

Executive Member
I have once or twice now had a flight where I've forgotten to switch of my phone and it had been on all flight.

Same here. The safety of the aircraft cannot be dependent on everyone "remembering" to switch their GSM/3G capable devices off or into flight mode.

Paul_S

Executive Member
CAA = state run department.

I had the "privilege" of visiting the CAA head office in Midrand to sort out my pilot radio license and from what I saw and experienced it's run by BB-BEE staff who perform on the same level as home affairs.
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I wasn't very impressed considering we're talking about the body that regulates flight and flight safety in the country.

PPJ

Why dont the aircraft builders get asked the question. They built the darn plane. Or have their reccommendations been superseeded?? Sure the current aircraft design would bring passenger carry-on technology into consideration ??

avert

i read/heard somewhere that it was due to the fact that have 300+ odd passengers connecting/disconnecting from multiple cell towers could break stuff while taking off and landing.

feasible maybe 10-15 years ago i guess.

Bismuth

Expert Member
CAA = state run department.

I had the "privilege" of visiting the CAA head office in Midrand to sort out my pilot radio license and from what I saw and experienced it's run by BB-BEE staff who perform on the same level as home affairs.
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I wasn't very impressed considering we're talking about the body that regulates flight and flight safety in the country.

I have had the pleasure of dealing with the CAA on many levels... their document management is scary, actually, it doesn't exist. Yet they go around telling airlines how it should be done. Yet I have meet some extremely knowledgeable inspectors, who just roll their eyes when the CAA "administration" is mentioned. It would appear that there is a core group of people keeping the CAA running successfully, and if they all left, it would fall apart. Funny thing is, this "core group" isn'y one specific race group, but a mixture. I think it's like SAA, if they were a private company, they would have been sold off long ago.

B

Knersus

I also leave whatever I can on flight mode and I will not bother to be forced to switch it off. In fact on most flights where I can I listen to music all the way through landing and taxing. No problems ever, and never will there be problems because there is no way that tiny little music playing device way in the back can cause any interference in the front or anywhere else on the plane for that matter.

This is just another classic example of government departments not doing their job for the people.

Ecco

Executive Member
I just left my phone on once. No harm done, nobody even knew it was on.

Blatman

I just love it when someone's phone rings in the overhead luggage at 30,000 ft and everyone freezes waiting to see who the cuprit is.

Tick

i read/heard somewhere that it was due to the fact that have 300+ odd passengers connecting/disconnecting from multiple cell towers could break stuff while taking off and landing.

My understanding, and I think what you're thinking of, is that it can interfere with the comms between plane and Air Traffic Control, due to using some of the same frequencies. A few people forgetting isn't going to cause a problem but a plane approaching cellphone reception area as you land with 400+ phones 'checking in' can. What most people also don't realise is that a phone getting weak reception is going to up its power output to try reach the tower. So as you move from no reception to weak reception during approach, you will 400+ phones transmitting at full power at the same time that the crew are trying to talk to ATC (and in fact on some of the larger new planes, you could potentially have over 850 mobile devices).

The problem with allowing in-flight mode is that, if you have any clue what dealing with large numbers of actual members of public is like, is that 90% of people are either going to be too stupid to properly put it in in flight mode or are deliberately just going to say it's in flight mode when it's not. And it's not feasible for the air crew to check every phone individually to make sure it's in in flight mode.

Last edited:

Elimentals

Honorary Master
I just love it when someone's phone rings in the overhead luggage at 30,000 ft and everyone freezes waiting to see who the cuprit is.

Not anymore, allot of flights starting to get AeroMobile, so you can actually make calls using your cell phone.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
The problem with allowing in-flight mode is that, if you have any clue what dealing with large numbers of actual members of public is like, is that 90% of people are either going to be too stupid to properly put it in in flight mode or are deliberately just going to say it's in flight mode when it's not. And it's not feasible for the air crew to check every phone individually to make sure it's in in flight mode.
It's not like they routinely check whether each and every phone is off anyway.