Using GPS “switches off” part of the brain needed in navigation

FoXtroT

Expert Member
I can certainly attest to the fact that GPS has made me poorer at navigation when using it. It becomes too much of a crutch.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
"bilateral inferior lateral prefrontal activity"

Jirre, sounded like something I'd want to do with a woman.
Thanks for spoiling it, article.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
I can certainly attest to the fact that GPS has made me poorer at navigation when using it. It becomes too much of a crutch.
This.

If I write the directions on paper I can come back to the place again without help. Using the GPS though I need multiple trips to remember the route.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
I find it helps to always be aware of the route the GPS is trying to take and why. Sometimes I even go a different way from what is suggested. That's probably the older gen in me speaking but it not only assists with general awareness (probably that hippocampus lighting up), but sometimes gets me out of potential navigational stuff-ups.

grok

Honorary Master
What a surprise, using a remote control "switches off" part of the brain needed in getting up to change the channel.. :)

greg0205

Honorary Master
Someone thought solving this mystery was important enough to finance?

Common sense, really IS a superpower.

access

Honorary Master
not a friend of gps, but its better than paging through a map book and trying to follow where to go while going there.

took a while for me to wean the wife off it. she couldn't go anywhere without the thing, even to places weve been before. drove me nuts.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Doesn't have the stated affect on me, I'm always trying to figure out the lay of the land as I'm going along and if I would not take a different route. I don't have to reuse if I've driven a route with it once.

But it is useful for rerouting interactively due to updating itself due to traffic build ups.

Beachless

Executive Member
So this doesn't change anything for men? They've been told how, where and how fast to drive for ages already.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Mine has a sexy female voice. Cheers me up in the morning to work :p