Utterly Outraged Over Faulty 16TB Seagate Hard Drive Amazon's Absurd Response

pouroverguy

Expert Member
Hello Friends

I'm seeking some guidance.

Recently, I purchased a 16TB Seagate external Hard Drive from Amazon, which I got last Friday. Unfortunately, it started malfunctioning last night – it doesn't light up, emits high-pitched noises, and is unresponsive on two different PCs. I reached out to Amazon, but their reply left me quite upset. They've asked me to send the product back at my own expense and promised a refund afterward. The shipping costs could be exorbitant, running into thousands of rands. Moreover, they declined to send a replacement right away. Given the time of year, this whole procedure might take a long time. I'm at a loss about how to proceed. I did register the product on Seagate's website, but I'm not sure if they have local support in South Africa for warranty issues. I'm also considering asking my bank to reverse the charge, though I'm skeptical since the purchase was made three weeks ago.

Any suggestions would be really helpful

Edit: I'm just adding why I'm so reluctant to go through a refund process with Amazon. About 12 months ago, I had a faulty set of earbuds. The company refunded me via Amazon - Amazon refused to pass this refund on to me after they initially emailed me to ask how I would like to get the refund back, and it took me months and months of fighting before I finally was given it as a gift card balance. I don't trust them at all to refund the courier fees if I pay it up now up front.

Last edited:
Hello Friends

I'm seeking some guidance.

Recently, I purchased a 16TB Seagate external Hard Drive from Amazon, which I got last Friday. Unfortunately, it started malfunctioning last night – it doesn't light up, emits high-pitched noises, and is unresponsive on two different PCs. I reached out to Amazon, but their reply left me quite upset. They've asked me to send the product back at my own expense and promised a refund afterward. The shipping costs could be exorbitant, running into thousands of rands. Moreover, they declined to send a replacement right away. Given the time of year, this whole procedure might take a long time. I'm at a loss about how to proceed. I did register the product on Seagate's website, but I'm not sure if they have local support in South Africa for warranty issues. I'm also considering asking my bank to reverse the charge, though I'm skeptical since the purchase was made three weeks ago.

You send it back via courier, they refund you the courier cost, and send you a new hard drive. It really isn't that difficult.

You send it back via courier, they refund you the courier cost, and send you a new hard drive. It really isn't that difficult.

I shouldn't be expected to pay thousands of rands myself to get refunded 1-2 months later and receive a replacement, for an item that costed hundreds of dollars that malfunctioned within 4 days.

I shouldn't be expected to pay thousands of rands myself to get refunded 1-2 months later and receive a replacement, for an item that costed hundreds of dollars that malfunctioned within 4 days.

It looks like you already made up your mind. What other options did you think you would have for interest's sake?

Don't be melodramatic. It doesn't cost thousands to courier it to the US, and it will take a week or so there, a couple days to process, and a week back.

It sucks that it broke, but they are willing to replace it, and they will refund the full courier cost. This is life.

Don't be melodramatic. It doesn't cost thousands to courier it to the US, and it will take a week or so there, a couple days to process, and a week back.

It sucks that it broke, but they are willing to replace it, and they will refund the full courier cost. This is life.
This.

Plus you knew this would be the procedure before buying from Amazon right.

Hard drives don’t have international warranties - registering the drive with Seagate doesn’t introduce a local warranty. Unfortunately that’s a risk of buying internationally.

I guess you’re “lucky” it was DOA. I assisted someone with an MSI graphics card where Amazon wouldn’t assist because it was a few months old and referred him to MSI direct, and MSI wouldn’t assist because in SA channel is setup in a way that you return the product to the place of purchase for the entire warranty duration.

Between the two, they were basically telling him to go to the USA and THEN start an RMA with MSI (with shipping costs from the USA to MSI at his own expense once there :ROFL:). It was eventually resolved after 17 weeks and R 3.5k odd out of his pocket.

I help tons of people with warranty where either the retailer has closed down or still exists but refuses to assist - very often at no cost - but when it comes to international purchases all bets are off. I can try, but it won’t be free, it won’t be quick, and it might not happen at all.

That is the risk you take when ordering from another country. The policies are clear on Amazons site. It just is what it is you took a chance to save money and got unlucky.

Seems like a workable solution.
I'm also considering asking my bank to reverse the charge, though I'm skeptical since the purchase was made three weeks ago.
On what grounds? They've provided you with the means to get a refund.

Seems like a workable solution.

On what grounds? They've provided you with the means to get a refund.
I feel they should be paying themselves to arrange the courier. I've already had issues earlier this year getting money refunded by Amazon and not keen to go through that again.

Solution is a solution sure, but it'll mean a long wait without a hard drive that I wanted now.

I feel they should be paying themselves to arrange the courier. I've already had issues earlier this year getting money refunded by Amazon and not keen to go through that again.

Solution is a solution sure, but it'll mean a long wait without a hard drive that I wanted now.

Buy one from Takealot and use it while you’re waiting for Amazon to return the faulty one. Once it’s back, log a return with Takealot.

I have asked about Seagate South africa and a warranty claim here...
Well yes, but you did not buy it in South Africa so you have no claim here. But since you are open for any suggestions, why not buy an identical one from Evetech then try to claim it through them. Of course it won't work but at least you can rant about Evetech later on the forum.

Send it back. They will refund.

Asking your bank to reverse the payment is fraud jou skelm.

Go read the TsCs next time, they are very clear on how it works if you import.

Stop moaning now or buy local.

I've edited the OP to indicate why I'm reluctant to pay for the courier fee and ask for a refund.

I've edited the OP to indicate why I'm reluctant to pay for the courier fee and ask for a refund.

Back