Vaal River suffocates under filthy wave of raw effluent

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
they just say that to pie you, everybodys domestic likes to say DA to make them happy.
No, I am not a DA fan, and do not have the vote in SA. The goings on in Hermanus during Helen Zille's watch caused me to doubt her abilities. I say that despite her strong anti apartheid stance years ago, which I admired. My domestic knew of my reservations at the time.

Sollie

Executive Member
No, the whole system.
Deliberately further misunderstands ...

I agree the whole system has to be fixed. Starting with some heads rolling. Since we want to re-invent everything from scratch, we might call it accountability. I believe that would unclog the system ;)

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
Deliberately further misunderstands ...

I agree the whole system has to be fixed. Starting with some heads rolling. Since we want to re-invent everything from scratch, we might call it accountability. I believe that would unclog the system ;)
I thought capital punishment was forbidden here? But seriously, heads rolling in SA is a little short of precedent? Re-education (rarely) with redeployment seems to be the idea in vogue. (Unless yoVictorian u interfered with Zuma's income stream!!) Apart from punishment, including restitution, which I am comfortable with, we need capability to get the job done. As it is we are paying over the odds for none existent capability. I suppose better not to pay and to put up with incapacity, than to pay and still put up with incapacity. But the capacity is still needed. No way will those who had it come back: that has been tried. Maybe bringing some competent retirees back and paying them as well as letting keep their pensions would do it: it would not cost any more.

If the families of incompetents suffer, so be it. Harsh? Yup, but that is how the Empire was built. I once had sight of Victorian instructions to Customs Officers. They were very detailed and failure resulted in instant dismissal. Some notables like Thomas Paine and Robert Burns were dismissed for example (pre Victorian of course).

Sollie

Executive Member
Maybe bringing some competent retirees back and paying them as well as letting keep their pensions would do it: it would not cost any more.
In a logical world, yes.

A few years ago people in the tiny town of Parys were getting sick, water was not being purified properly. Many old people in an old age home ended up in hospital. One retired guy that "grew up" in the municipal water purification department for a big city, retiring as a manager, offered his services for free as it would keep him busy. Offer rejected. Reason: lack of melanin. It took an intervention to stabilize the situation.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Warning-on-small-town-tap-water-20120507 mentions it. There was also an uproar in the local newspaper at the time.

So, though we may know what a potentially good solution will be, the helping hand gets slapped. How was this different to Anton Rupert (experience) trying to reach across the chasm ... ? Sigh!

We're in a shitty situation, pun intended.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
I'm not even joking. This is s**t. There's no other way to say it. If somebody ask you what this is. That is the only honest answer. S**t governance. S**t for brains. A s**t attitude. S**t work ethics. And a whole lot of..., nay... An incredible amount of actual s**t.

Infrastructure first! Not last. The rest will take care of itself given enough time. But no. It's always everything else first. A house of cards because the infrastructure is crumbling. And it all comes tumbling down when you poep on it. Everything undone. I-didn't-do-it faces everywhere.

maumau

Honorary Master
I thought capital punishment was forbidden here? But seriously, heads rolling in SA is a little short of precedent? Re-education (rarely) with redeployment seems to be the idea in vogue. (Unless yoVictorian u interfered with Zuma's income stream!!) Apart from punishment, including restitution, which I am comfortable with, we need capability to get the job done. As it is we are paying over the odds for none existent capability. I suppose better not to pay and to put up with incapacity, than to pay and still put up with incapacity. But the capacity is still needed. No way will those who had it come back: that has been tried. Maybe bringing some competent retirees back and paying them as well as letting keep their pensions would do it: it would not cost any more.

If the families of incompetents suffer, so be it. Harsh? Yup, but that is how the Empire was built. I once had sight of Victorian instructions to Customs Officers. They were very detailed and failure resulted in instant dismissal. Some notables like Thomas Paine and Robert Burns were dismissed for example (pre Victorian of course).
Ah, but we're not allowed to fire employees these days. Therein lies the rub.

maumau

Honorary Master
I'm aware this means less than nothing, but TEN YEARS AGO I saw a study and video footage showing the beginning of this catastrophe. The engineer involved was almost in tears trying to get a response from dept of water affairs.

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
I'm aware this means less than nothing, but TEN YEARS AGO I saw a study and video footage showing the beginning of this catastrophe. The engineer involved was almost in tears trying to get a response from dept of water affairs.
Dealing with Tshwane, I understand just how he feels.

Sollie

Executive Member
An article by Professor Prophet Will Alexander, extremely insightful, written ten years ago:
https://anhonestclimatedebate.wordpress.com/2008/12/02/dr-anthony-turton-resigns-from-csir/

Of course he was commenting on Dr Prophet Anthony Turton's paper:
Three Strategic Water Quality Challenges that Decision-Makers Need to Know About and How the CSIR Should Respond

Tbh, it's easy to predict with high accuracy that touching a red hot stove plate with bare hands will burn. Such is the current levels of execution stupidity in politics, many can be prophets (not to take anything away from these two learned gentlemen). But off course, this is South Africa. We shoot the messenger after wrapping failings up in political drivel, shifting blame for predictable failures.

Good unbiased topical reading material:
http://www.anthonyturton.com/scientific-publication-anthony-turton.php

It doesn't even help saying we need to wake up, we should have been awake a long time ago. We are stumbling from one crisis to the next.

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
An article by Professor Prophet Will Alexander, extremely insightful, written ten years ago:
https://anhonestclimatedebate.wordpress.com/2008/12/02/dr-anthony-turton-resigns-from-csir/

Of course he was commenting on Dr Prophet Anthony Turton's paper:
Three Strategic Water Quality Challenges that Decision-Makers Need to Know About and How the CSIR Should Respond

Tbh, it's easy to predict with high accuracy that touching a red hot stove plate with bare hands will burn. Such is the current levels of execution stupidity in politics, many can be prophets (not to take anything away from these two learned gentlemen). But off course, this is South Africa. We shoot the messenger after wrapping failings up in political drivel, shifting blame for predictable failures.

Good unbiased topical reading material:
http://www.anthonyturton.com/scientific-publication-anthony-turton.php

It doesn't even help saying we need to wake up, we should have been awake a long time ago. We are stumbling from one crisis to the next.
Are you doomed then?

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
They're fine with this level of incompetence and filth, no rush to fix anything of this nature *shrug*

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
No, I am not a DA fan, and do not have the vote in SA. The goings on in Hermanus during Helen Zille's watch caused me to doubt her abilities. I say that despite her strong anti apartheid stance years ago, which I admired. My domestic knew of my reservations at the time.
I am in the same mind as you on her. She is not the activist she used to be.