Vaal River suffocates under filthy wave of raw effluent

schumi

Honorary Master
Vaal River sewage crisis persists due to funding issues

JOHANNESBURG - The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) says it's concerned about the slow progress of addressing the sewage crisis facing the Vaal District.
The commission conducted an inspection at the Sebokeng and Rietspruit waste water treatment plants in the Emfuleni Local Municipality on Thursday.
The area is in the grips of an environmental disaster as pollution and raw sewage continue to spill into the Vaal River.
More at: https://ewn.co.za/2019/04/04/vaal-river-sewage-crisis-persists-due-to-budgetary-constraints

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I'm confused, why is the SAHRC involved in this and not the Department of Public Works and Department of Water Affairs?

ponder

Honorary Master
I'm confused, why is the SAHRC involved in this and not the Department of Public Works and Department of Water Affairs?
Clean water is a human right from what I recall them saying earlier.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Clean water is a human right from what I recall them saying earlier.
I get that part... but why the SAHRC are the ones at the forefront... I would have expected the Department to be the one investigating and giving feedback (at least in an ideal world)..

Though of course the Departments have siphoned off the cash elsewhere which is probably why they're being silent... Its fscking tragic and any deaths relating to this should be held over the heads of the people responsible for the Vaal being clean...

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
always boiles down to a funding problem, why because the legimate funds were funneled into cadre's pockets.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
I get that part... but why the SAHRC are the ones at the forefront... I would have expected the Department to be the one investigating and giving feedback (at least in an ideal world)..

Though of course the Departments have siphoned off the cash elsewhere which is probably why they're being silent... Its fscking tragic and any deaths relating to this should be held over the heads of the people responsible for the Vaal being clean...
It's time for the SAHRC to eat.

Kryptonite

That cow Nomvula Mokonyane effectively bankrupted the department of water and sanitation through fraud and mismanagement, basically in line with the rest of her comrades.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
That cow Nomvula Mokonyane effectively bankrupted the department of water and sanitation through fraud and mismanagement, basically in line with the rest of her comrades.
Then any deaths related to the state of the Vaal river should be tallied up and she should be charged with Murder

Lupus

Honorary Master
Then any deaths related to the state of the Vaal river should be tallied up and she should be charged with Murder
The chances of this happening are slim to none. The death of one is a tragedy, the death of millions a statistic. That's the ideology they seem to believe in.

McSack

Executive Member
pffttt...there will be a commission of inquiry, tax payers will fork out some blood money and Mokonyane will continue in her cushy no accountability bubble

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
pffttt...there will be a commission of inquiry, tax payers will fork out some blood money and Mokonyane will continue in her cushy not accountability bubble
The chances of this happening are slim to none. The death of one is a tragedy, the death of millions a statistic. That's the ideology they seem to believe in.
Yeah I know, but its the ideal world I'm living in when I write that response :)..

schumi

Honorary Master
2,000 young recruits to keep Vaal pump stations safe - govt

SEBOKENG - Government says it is in the process of recruiting 2,000 young people to man water pump stations in the Emfuleni Local Municipality.
The Vaal district is in the grip of a disaster as pollution and raw sewage continue to pour into the Vaal River.
An inter-governmental task team that includes Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula has given a report on the progress made in the area since the army was deployed in November to intervene.
More at: https://ewn.co.za/2019/04/05/2-000-young-recruits-to-keep-vaal-pump-stations-safe-government

schumi

Honorary Master
R341m set aside to prevent pollution in the Vaal river – Water dept

The Department of Water and Sanitation has set aside R341-million for the resuscitation of all wastewater treatment infrastructure in the Vaal Triangle.
The aim of the project is to prevent further pollution in the Vaal River.
Water Affairs Minister Gugile Nkwinti announced on Friday that the East Rand Water Care Company (ERWAT), will ensure that all wastewater treatment infrastructure is resuscitated to an operational state and that pollution in the Vaal River is stopped.
Nkwinti told community members at Saul Tsotetsi Sports Centre in Sebokeng, that his department together with COGTA department in Gauteng, Emfuleni Local Municipality, South African National Defence Force (SANDF), Municipal Infrastructure Support Agent (MISA) and the ERWAT, signed an Implementation Protocol on March 29.
He indicated that the allocated money will be used to train 250 youth and community members on plumbing, carpentry, brick-laying, paving and agriculture.

“SANDF will also train 2000 youth and community members to guard 44 pump stations until the completion of the project, that is projected for March 2020,” he said.
More at: http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article/r341m-set-aside-to-prevent-pollution-in-the-vaal-river-water-dept-2019-04-08

schumi

Honorary Master
Sappers expected to finish Vaal River project by March 2020

More money in the form of R341 million from government will be used to finish rehabilitation of wastewater treatment infrastructure in the Vaal Triangle – a task handed to the SA Army Engineer Formation by Finance Minister Tito Mboweni.

Making the announcement, Water and Sanitation Minister Gugile Nkwinti said the national defence force’s involvement with the project would also see two thousand young people from affected communities trained to guard 44 pump stations to prevent vandalism and other damage. The guards will, according to Minister Nkwinti, be on duty until the end of March next year when the project is scheduled to be completed.

Michael Holenstein, OUTA (the Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse) portfolio manager for local government, welcomed what he termed “renewed promises of funding for the Vaal River intervention and Emfuleni sewerage system restoration.

He welcomed co-operation between national government in the form of Nkwinti’s Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) and the national defence force represented by Defence and Military Veterans Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, Gauteng’s Department of governance and Traditional Affairs, Emfuleni municipality, the Municipal Infrastructure Support Agent (MISA) and the East Rand Water Care Company (ERWAT). All signed an implementation protocol for the Vaal river rehabilitation project last month.

The total cost of the project is, according to Holenstein, expected to be R1.2 billion. An Engineer Formation technical assessment ahead of deployment put the cost of the clean-up at R873 million.
More at: https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featured/sappers-expected-to-finish-vaal-river-project-by-march-2020/

schumi

Honorary Master
Sewer spillage a never-ending battle

The strong smell of disinfect permeates Nnini Morosi’s neat, two-bedroom flat.

But beneath the air fresheners, sanitisers and bleach, the sickening stench of sewage still lingers.

“The kitchen is the worst,” says the mother of two, her face twisting in disgust. “It’s horrible to cook in here. Even the tap water smells like sewage.”
Morosi has lived comfortably in her block of flats in a downtrodden part of mid-town Vereeniging for the past decade.

But regular sewage spillages in the past two months have made her family’s life intolerable. Across Emfuleni, where a sewage crisis has festered for nearly 20 years, collapsing wastewater networks have caused sewage to seep through the ground into the basements of buildings, like Morosi’s.

Outside her flat, and her neighbours’, a mess of putrefying waste clogs drains. Sewage streams across the parking area.

“I can’t open my doors or my windows because of the smell. We have to buy bottled water, or boil our water. It’s tough, so tough.”
At a neighbouring flat block, Willem Potgieter* dodges the noxious pools of sewage filling the street to show how sewage is oozing into his basement. He has done what he can to try to divert it, but it seems futile.

“The sewage is coming up everywhere. It’s a disaster. That smell is in our clothes when we go to work.
“We haven’t been able to open our windows for two months.”

Local residents say Emfuleni’s crumbling, “antiquated” wastewater network - the 2600km of pipes transporting sewage to Emfuleni’s three ailing wastewater treatment works, is in its worst-ever state.

Sewage is being spilled at a “record level” all the way from Evaton down to the multimillion-rand homes on the banks of the polluted Vaal River.
“The situation is even now more dire than it has ever been in the history of Emfuleni local municipality,” remarks Rosemary Anderson, a spokesperson for waste and sanitation for the business chamber in the Vaal.

“The consequence is that there are major spillages in townships, suburbs, CBD’s, schools, clinics, council buildings, apartment blocks and roads - everywhere.

“No township, suburb or business is immune to this pollution,” she says.

The larger ramifications are that the sewage is not even getting to the waste water plants to be processed and treated because of breakdowns and blockages in the sewer network.“This raw sewage is eventually entering the tributaries and the Vaal River.” In March, the Sedibeng District Municipality had to temporarily close its rates office because of a “necessary containment of sewer overflow”.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/saturday-star/sewer-spillage-a-never-ending-battle-20828902

Bewlen

This is actually a direct result of the Sedibeng (Vereeniging) municipality collapsing. Sure it hasn't officially been declared bankrupt, but it came close to being put under administration. The ANC realised that it would be catastrophic, as Emfuleni is a key area, and swept it all under the carpet. Everything kept sliding into disrepair. Roads are terrible, garbage only collected once every 2 weeks, sometimes 3 weeks. Constant power cuts in many areas. A slow but very steady decline of the entire area is evident for all to see. Many pump stations have not run FOR MANY YEARS. This is not a new problem. Any journalist worth a quarter ounce of salt, will be able to uncover serious stories there.
All this while those ANC piggies keep feeding at the trough.

In very stark contrast, driving into the adjacent area of Meyerton, you literally see the difference as you cross the road into the municipal district: clean, well-kept, decent roads. That one is DA controlled, but the ANC will do everything in its power to get their hands on that ward, so they could lay their hands on the funds and resources available in that municipality.