vaccination side affects

Splinter

Honorary Master
Ummm, do you really for one moment think I am saying people should not get the vaccine?

People asked about side effects and I gave a fact about the second round vaccine and side effects.

Surely you do not think I am telling people the vaccine is bad?

Lets not dance around. What are you saying about the vaccine?

Edit: and please dont say "I am only giving the facts"

rvZA

Executive Member
Lets not dance around. What are you saying about the vaccine?

Edit: and please dont say "I am only giving the facts"

The vaccine is needed. There is no two ways about this. We need this to minimize the impact Covid will have on people, subsequently on the economy. Vaccines will not stop you from getting Covid, but it will lessen the effects Covid will have on you. It has the possibility of preventing severe reactions and minimize hospitalizations and death.

Vaccines should be made mandatory in my opinion, and I suspect they would have if it was not in trial phase. I am 100% for vaccines for Covid. The virus has a devastating impact on the world, but even more so for SA where the government cannot afford to purchase sufficient supply.

These are no facts, and I do not claim it to be facts. This is my personal view on the vaccines.

rvZA

Executive Member
But then again, the discussion was never about my view on the vaccine, around this forum I have made my personal view pretty clear. The discussion was about side effects. What I know and what research this far confirms, and this may change in future, is that side effects do happen. There are no explanations as to who will experience side effects and why.

Fact is some get mild side effects, some get no side effects, but some do experience severe side effects.

Research also confirmed that if you did experience side effects with your first jab, you may experience worse side effects on your second jab. But, all these side effects, first or second jab, mild or severe, are considered normal. So, in all likelyhood, your doctor will be happy with your condition and send you home with some Panados.

They do, however, recommend that if you had severe reactions with your first jab, that you consult your doctor before taking the second jab.

Splinter

Honorary Master
/snip
They do, however, recommend that if you had severe reactions with your first jab, that you consult your doctor before taking the second jab.

And yes, severe reactions would be the key phrase. Which are very limited.

As I pointed out to you before, your phrasing was more inflammatory than this.

rvZA

Executive Member
And yes, severe reactions would be the key phrase. Which are very limited.

As I pointed out to you before, your phrasing was more inflammatory than this.

Nobody said it was limited, not even the CDC. Severe reactions do occur, that is about all we know. How frequent or total numbers or even what 'severe reactions' are defined is totally at a loss, around the globe. Not a single government nor a single scientist this far have defined what 'severe reactions' are.

That being said, all that is important is that they do confirm that there are side effects and that those side effects may be worse on the second jab for some.

So, if you get the jab a second time and feel like you are getting sick, even worse than the first round, this is nothing to worry about or run to the doctor or jump online looking for answers. It is normal.

Splinter

Honorary Master
But then again, the discussion was never about my view on the vaccine, around this forum I have made my personal view pretty clear. The discussion was about side effects. What I know and what research this far confirms, and this may change in future, is that side effects do happen. There are no explanations as to who will experience side effects and why.

Fact is some get mild side effects, some get no side effects, but some do experience severe side effects.

This discussion was about side-effects - and that encompasses those who express opinions about said side effects.

But your anti-vaccine bias spills out in your post above when you are trying to claim impartiality. With all the "some".

It's actually "very, very few" experience severe side effects.

Last edited:

Elon

These are not technically side effects.

A side effect is an unintended effect secondary to the intended effect.

Getting your immune system riled up is precisely the intention of a vaccine, the primary and very much intended effect. The sore arm, headaches, fatigue, fever are all signs of this occurring.

Disclaimer: I am not (yet) a doctor so the above is purely my opinion.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Nobody said it was limited, not even the CDC. Severe reactions do occur, that is about all we know. How frequent or total numbers or even what 'severe reactions' are defined is totally at a loss, around the globe. Not a single government nor a single scientist this far have defined what 'severe reactions' are.

That being said, all that is important is that they do confirm that there are side effects and that those side effects may be worse on the second jab for some.

So, if you get the jab a second time and feel like you are getting sick, even worse than the first round, this is nothing to worry about or run to the doctor or jump online looking for answers. It is normal.

But yet you just said above that some experience "severe" side-effects.

rvZA

Executive Member
This discussion was about side-effects - and that encompasses those who express opinions about said side effects.

But your anti-vaccine bias spills out in your post above when you are trying to claim impartiality. With all the "some".

It's actually "very, very few" experience sever side effects.

Aaaaghh.,... no use here further. Believe whatever you want to believe and what makes you happy. Let's drop our discussion here.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Aaaaghh.,... no use here further. Believe whatever you want to believe and what makes you happy. Let's drop our discussion here.

I just base what I believe on with the actual comments you make. As in the written words.

Daveogg

Expert Member
My father, 84 years, had the first Pfeizer jab. After a day or two he started feeling like he was getting the flu. He felt cold, shivered a lot, he had body aches, sore throat, started coughing badly. Symptoms lasted for about 3-4 days and then he started getting better. He got the second jab yesterday morning. So far, he does not show any side effects.
Does not really fit the vaccine side effect profile, perhaps he had Covid. If you are interested you can determine this by doing a Sars CoV2 antibody test but need to do it at one of the major labs and need to do the N(nucleocapsid) antibody (not S as that will be positive from the vaccine, also not the rapid fingerpricks those look for S).
Not that it would change anything.

zolly

Expert Member
Where did you get the J&J jab? As far as I know, it's not available in SA.

It's being used. Govt jabbed medical workers, teachers, and cops with it so far. My gf and another friend of mine were part of the Sisonke trial all the way back in March.

zolly

Expert Member
So wanted to add, about 10 hours after I got vaccinated I had a very light fever. Enough to keep me warm in this kak cold but also enough to stop me from getting to sleep.

So basically this after first Pfizer jab (and I'm in my late 30s for better context):

2-3 hours - mild arm ache and fatigue
6-8 hours - mild arm ache and heavy fatigue
10 hours - mild arm ache, heavy fatigue, and light fever
The next morning (now) - mild arm ache

Currantly

Expert Member

Some complaints of side effects from vaccine being looked into​

Cape Town - There has been a lot of talk about the side-effects caused by the two vaccines being administered in the country.
The two vaccines are Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson.

A Khayelitsha woman, Nosidima Matadi, went for her first jab this week and said she got sick after being vaccinated.

The site she went to has different provincial departments next to Khayelitsha District Hospital.

Linky

blunt

Expert Member
Sore arm for 2 days then fine.
Same as when I got the flu shot