Vaccinations for under 35s to open by 23 August

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Covid-19 vaccination for under 35s to open early

The National Department of Health plans to open Covid-19 vaccinations to South Africans between 18 and 34 years old within the next week.

This is according to health minister Joe Phaahla, who said that consultations with government leaders were underway to begin vaccinations of the age group weeks before the planned date of 1 September.

krycor

Honorary Master
Glad I'm going for my 2nd jab tomorrow.
It will either be inundated with people next week, or there will be total apathy and there will be hardly anyone there.

Yup.. also kinda worried more about the 2nd.. ie we will soon have a situation where incoming vaccines can’t be used prior to expiry.

I think a bit of a stick and carrot approach is needed and with coming vacation season it’s a good time to entice with anything from requiring for some events where close proximity cannot be mitigated easily to incentivizing ahead of time with a voucher for hospitality services discount (cost is only realized when people redeem which will have a drop off % and benefits economy/industry than needs incentive to drive it).

Botha22

On KFM radio there was a vaccination site (I think Pinelands EMS) were they were practically begging people to come and get vaccinated. Seems like more and more people are reluctant to get vaccinated.

Cius

Executive Member
Got first jab today. They where giving preference to second jab people. Had enough for all of us but the 2nd jab guys kept being sent in ahead of us despite arriving after us.

Tman*

Expert Member
Millpark hospital was packed today

b640fecf28ba0c9ae4dbed9731b00a19.jpg

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
On KFM radio there was a vaccination site (I think Pinelands EMS) were they were practically begging people to come and get vaccinated. Seems like more and more people are reluctant to get vaccinated.

That's the one in Alexandra Rd (Ndabeni). I went to the Netcare Old Mutual Pinelands one, and it was rather quiet.

I think it's a logistics and public transport issue. The sites are not where the people are, and opening up to younger ages is not going to help much.

SilverCode

That's the one in Alexandra Rd (Ndabeni). I went to the Netcare Old Mutual Pinelands one, and it was rather quiet.

I think it's a logistics and public transport issue. The sites are not where the people are, and opening up to younger ages is not going to help much.
In an ideal world there would be a public website with the current status of all the vaccination sites in your area so you can see which ones are busy and which ones are quiet. Build a weekly heatmap of the sites broken down by hour that shows how busy they are at any given hour of the week.

If people had easier access to be able to just look at a map and go "Oh, Hospital A is busy, but I see that Hospital B is quiet, I'll pop around there for the jab" then they are more likely to go. Lots of people I know didn't want to just walk into a vaccination site without their appointment because they didn't want to get stuck in a queue for hours.

Give people access to information and they will be able to plan their jab more efficiently than the ANC planned this vaccination rollout. Instead they gave all the money to Digital Vibes and now no one knows what the hell is going on.

heartbroken

Expert Member
Same here, the biggest site in town started a telegram group begging people to come. Absolutely no waiting time, walk in, walk out service for the last 4 weeks at least

Duke of Hazard

Nice,

Maybe I can get the jab before my denialist co-workers bring it into my workplace again.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
The masses don't know how to register and don't have information about the vaccine.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
plural noun: masses
  1. a large number of people or objects crowded together.
    "a mass of cyclists"

SAguy

Executive Member
plural noun: masses
  1. a large number of people or objects crowded together.
    "a mass of cyclists"
Please don't spread false information.
Everyone knows it's not a mass of cyclists.

It's a cuntload of cyclists, or, a po3s-ton of cyclists. Get your facts right