Vaccines rollout

chrisc

Executive Member
Some stats:

(From Novalis press release)

1 - We will have a working Vaccine (in the UK) by October. It is a 2-part vaccine and must be administered once a year

2 - Trials from Oxford (Jenner Labs) and in South Africa are more than 85% successful

3 - Johnson & Johnson, Astra-Zeneca, Novalis, Pfizer, Roche and 2 Japanese big pharma companies are expected to release their versions

4 - The USA has pre-ordered and paid $2.4m from two of these companies for 1 million doses

5 - Its is estimated it will cost $39 for a covid-19 vaccination

6 - The R&D for covid-19 is about $1.1 trillion worldwide

7 - The Russian vaccine claims are suspect

Amazing figures, but astronomical rewards. Not short-term investments though
Sygnia Health Innovation Global Equity Fund is taking a big position

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
If the common flu is deadlier than C-19, why haven't they jumped on a vaccine long ago?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Right now the UK has produced over 2 Billion doses of their vaccine and by the looks of it they should produce well over 3 billion doses by December.

It's just a waiting game to see how safe the vaccine is

Vorastra

Expert Member
Hold on, I'm confused.
It is a 2-part vaccine and must be administered once a year
Meaning that it's a 2-part whereby each part must be taken per year, meaning over 2 years?
Or that it's a 2-part vaccine-delivery that must be taken every year forever (or at least until COVID-19 is eradicated)?
So it's not a once-off permanent vaccine?
Fek that, who's going to pay for that if it's an annual thing? South Africa can't afford that if the government wants to be able to give it out for free.
To cover half the population (28.89M) of South Africa at $39 (R687.87) a pop would cost R19,872,539,165.70. R19 BILLION A YEAR just for vaccines.
There's going to have to be some serious cost reduction to make this viable for a lot of poorer countries.

bwana

MyBroadband
That's a very bold claim

You know the flu shot only covers the more numerous variants *for that year* and is only slightly more than 60% effective, (depending on cohort), right?
Exactly - which in turn answers the original question. "If the common flu is deadlier than C-19, why haven't they jumped on a vaccine long ago?" ;)

Hope we're on the same page now :)

Grant

Honorary Master
Some stats:

(From Novalis press release)

1 - We will have a working Vaccine (in the UK) by October. It is a 2-part vaccine and must be administered once a year

2 - Trials from Oxford (Jenner Labs) and in South Africa are more than 85% successful

3 - Johnson & Johnson, Astra-Zeneca, Novalis, Pfizer, Roche and 2 Japanese big pharma companies are expected to release their versions

4 - The USA has pre-ordered and paid $2.4m from two of these companies for 1 million doses

5 - Its is estimated it will cost $39 for a covid-19 vaccination

6 - The R&D for covid-19 is about $1.1 trillion worldwide

7 - The Russian vaccine claims are suspect

Amazing figures, but astronomical rewards. Not short-term investments though
Sygnia Health Innovation Global Equity Fund is taking a big position
That ain't from no pharmaceutical company press release

D tj

Expert Member
Sorry, but this is one vaccine, I will have little faith in, and especially a ZA one.
In the rush for glory I fear many mis-steps may be taken.

R13...

Honorary Master
Sorry, but this is one vaccine, I will have little faith in, and especially a ZA one.
In the rush for glory I fear many mis-steps may be taken.
SA developed a vaccine?

"D"

Expert Member

D tj

Expert Member
^^ZA developed a vaccine? "I will have"... future tense.

Grant

Honorary Master