Vacuum cleaner - what to buy?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Our vacuum cleaner recently died, and it never really worked that well to begin with. We have some long hair rats/tiny dogs, and the one we had struggled with their hair.

I see the following two are available on Takealot:
Philips - Bag Performer Compact - R1700
Bosch - 2200W Ergomaxx - R4000

Does anyone have experience with either of these? I googled for reviews, but it seems to be another case of different model numbers for different countries, which is really annoying.

Any good reasons to go for the Bosch over the much cheaper Philips? The bosch seems to be quieter from what I can tell, but to me it's not worth the price difference.

Any other recommendations?

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I have the bagless version of the Philips you're looking at and very happy with it.
I have two dogs and one of them sheds A LOT! and I have no issues with the vac picking it all up

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Vacuum cleaners are like Pool Cleaners, it's very hard to find a long lasting one... usually you're buying a new one every year. We used to have the old steel drum Karcher Type.. lasted us 30 years. But they don't make them like that any more.

Aghori

Honorary Master
I concure with spiff. Get a wet filter vacuum cleaner. There's less smell and dust.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Karcher.

And you don't want to go bagless. It's convenience vs performance, half the crap ends up back in your house.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member

calypso

Expert Member
Miele, they the pros. Expensive but anyone thats bought one has never regretted the cost after.

Trompie67

Expert Member
Vacuum cleaners are like Pool Cleaners, it's very hard to find a long lasting one... usually you're buying a new one every year. We used to have the old steel drum Karcher Type.. lasted us 30 years. But they don't make them like that any more.

Kirby. They literally last for life. We have a Kirby Gen 3 purchased in 1990 that is still in use to this day.

Only costs have been to replace bags (which are consumables) & 2 drive belts for the brush rollers. Brush rollers get replaced every 3 years odd as they wear down. Replaced the mains cord once as it is folded over the drive handle, so the inner cores eventually crack/break leading to the motor going on/off all the time. Cord is easy to replace - it plugs into the machine, so 3 screws on cover, unplug old one, plug in new one, route it & 3 scews to fasten.

This thing is practically indestructible. I use it in the garage to vacuum when I've been woodworking, it cleans the house, the cars, horse blankets, the works.

spiff

Executive Member
Thanks, I read through it and the idea of a water filter does sound great. However, the main requirement at the moment is that it must suck up long dog hairs off the floor.

Which one do you have? The Genesis hydrovac compact looks affordable, but at that price I don't expect too much.

I had an AEG vampire many years ago and it was the bees knees! seriously powerfull
that eventually died of old age.

replaced it with a karcher wet & dry - krap!

replaced it with a genesis water filter and I'm happy with it. I used to suffer with hayfever and this water filter helps a lot - no smell / no dust.

I have tiles & wooden floors so I can't say what it will do on carpets

it's cheap by comparison to bosch / Miele / Smegg etc. but works fine for me. I only vac every 2nd week as it's just me in the house - no pets / kids etc.

konfab

Honorary Master
Get a Numatic Henry or James

henry_red.jpg

james_6.jpg

http://www.numaticshop.co.za/

They are very high quality cleaners IMO. And if the thing burns out, you can get a new motor for it relatively easily.
I don't like the bagless ones as they become unhygienic.

Clive2

Hoover Aquaplus (if they're still made).
This powerful Wet/Dry vac has a hose and internal felt-filter 'bucket' to protect motor and dust falls into bin (the body). Inherited from a late family member so quite old, still strong suction.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Thanks, I read through it and the idea of a water filter does sound great. However, the main requirement at the moment is that it must suck up long dog hairs off the floor.

Which one do you have? The Genesis hydrovac compact looks affordable, but at that price I don't expect too much.

Nevermind, I've been veto'd on the water filter ones... too much work to fill and empty the water container every time after use, so you can't use it to just quickly vacuum something.

SpiderGear

Kirby. They literally last for life. We have a Kirby Gen 3 purchased in 1990 that is still in use to this day.

Only costs have been to replace bags (which are consumables) & 2 drive belts for the brush rollers. Brush rollers get replaced every 3 years odd as they wear down. Replaced the mains cord once as it is folded over the drive handle, so the inner cores eventually crack/break leading to the motor going on/off all the time. Cord is easy to replace - it plugs into the machine, so 3 screws on cover, unplug old one, plug in new one, route it & 3 scews to fasten.

This thing is practically indestructible. I use it in the garage to vacuum when I've been woodworking, it cleans the house, the cars, horse blankets, the works.

When was the last time you priced a Kirby? They are serious $$$ these days.

Trompie67

Expert Member
When was the last time you priced a Kirby? They are serious $$$ these days.

Last time? 1990. It was serious $$$ then too, in comparison.

28 years later, with maybe R2k in total in repairs/maintenance I'm happy to say it has saved me heaps of $$$.

Tried the Miele's, Hoovers, WAP, Electrolux all before the Kirby.

Kirby will in all likelihood be handed down as a family freaking heirloom! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Unlike the rest, which all landed on the tip site within 2 years.

Sollie

Honorary Master
Hoover Aquaplus (if they're still made).
This powerful Wet/Dry vac has a hose and internal felt-filter 'bucket' to protect motor and dust falls into bin (the body). Inherited from a late family member so quite old, still strong suction.
We actually had a shoot suck-out with the dorr to door Kirby salesman. Hoover stood it's ground. No need for a Kirby.

Hoover still going strong. Except replaced the pipe and head at a stage.

:) (comments)

Swa

Honorary Master
Really the expensive makes aren't worth the money they ask. The good cheap ones like Electrolux or Phillips can easily last 5+ years. Don't like bags though as the cost really starts adding up. We used to cut them open and tape them back up but haven't used one for decades.