Vacuum in Geyser

BenLadner

Hi guys

We had to turn the water off to fix a leaking tap. When we put the water back on, the geyser stopped heating the water. It just sounds like the geyser is filling constantly - like water is running in the pipes.
Plumber came out and said it was the electric isolator and replaced that but that doesn't make the water run and the water still isn't getting hot.
I switched the water going directly to the geyser off and the geyser make a sucking noise like it's pulling air in and the water immediately stops running out of the hot taps - like there is nothing in the geyser tank.
Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it? I feel like some people take chances because others don't know much about things like that and I'd like to be more prepared when I get them out again.

Thanks - Ben

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Is your geyser the type that stops pulling in water when the power goes off and the water drops below a certain temp?

kolaval

Expert Member
Can I chip in here and also ask, our one tap sputters constantly when running the hot water.
I've even replaced the tap and still the same issue.

patrick123

Expert Member
Hi guys

We had to turn the water off to fix a leaking tap. When we put the water back on, the geyser stopped heating the water. It just sounds like the geyser is filling constantly - like water is running in the pipes.
Plumber came out and said it was the electric isolator and replaced that but that doesn't make the water run and the water still isn't getting hot.
I switched the water going directly to the geyser off and the geyser make a sucking noise like it's pulling air in and the water immediately stops running out of the hot taps - like there is nothing in the geyser tank.
Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it? I feel like some people take chances because others don't know much about things like that and I'd like to be more prepared when I get them out again.

Thanks - Ben
Check whether issues with your geyser are covered by your home insurance.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Had a similar issue last year where no water came out of our hot water taps (geyser) after the water supply in the area was switched off for a few hours. Opened all the hot water taps in the house and after a few seconds water started flowing again and the geyser started filling up.

We've got a really old low pressure geyser.