"Vape Lung" poses a danger to South Africans

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
"Vape lung" poses a danger to South Africans

Vaping is a common practice among South African teenagers, with many parents allowing their children to smoke nicotine-free e-cigarettes, believing them to be safer than tobacco, according to a report in the Sunday Times.

According to the report, regulation to control the use of e-cigarettes is in development, but there has been little progress made on the Control of Tobacco Products and Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems Bill in the last year.

BubiSparks

"Vape Lung" - Did you make that up? The problems in the US were all caused by idiots vaping bootleg THC (Cannabis) laced E-liquid containing vitamin E acetate. Now the whole WORLD is up in arms against vaping.

I have been vaping since 2013 and it got me off cigarettes. I and millions of others have benifitted by this harm reduction system. I have many side effects though, namely: No more coughing, climbing stairs without shortness of breath, and my general feeling of wellbeing is vastly improved. Oh, and I don't vape dope...

Vaping is meant for smokers who want to quit - not for kids who will vape anything they can get high on. There have been no instances of "Vape Lung" elsewhere - proof that something other than proper e-liquid was being vaped in these cases in the USA.

Go have a look at the stance the UK and New Zealand have taken. In those countries sanity prevails and vaping is encouraged for those that want to quit smoking. Public Health England has repeatedly stated that vaping is 95% safer than smoking. In the US all you need to do is "Follow the Money". US states get huge taxes from tobacco companies from an agreement made back in 1998 where states agreed to drop lawsuits if the tobacco industries paid them billions annually to continue as they always have. These revenues are now falling drastically, partially due to vaping, so politcians there are on the bandwagon to stop anything that reduces that income stream.

Last edited:

ivovegter

This is false propaganda. "Vape lung" is no longer "mysterious". The CDC has found that cases of lipoid pneumonia involved illicit cannabis oils that contain Vitamin E acetate. This substance does not occur in normal nicotine or non-nicotine e-liquids.

There is no evidence that vaping "renormalises" cigarette smoking. On the contrary, there is evidence that it does not:
Vaping also does not act as a gateway to cigarette smoking:
Vaping produces less than 1% of the carcinogens that tobacco smoking does:

For lots more links on the relative safety and consequences of vaping, and its success in helping people quit smoking, see, for example, this article of mine:

The National Council Against Smoking is either unaware of the scientific literature, which makes it incompetent as an authority on the matter, or it deliberately ignores the science to push its misguided anti-vaping agenda, which makes it dishonest.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
[snip]

For lots more links on the relative safety and consequences of vaping, and its success in helping people quit smoking, see, for example, this article of mine:

[snip]
Wow, an actual journalist/writer posting on a MyBB thread...

I don't like his columns, but in this case he is correct.

quovadis

Expert Member
Vaping is meant for smokers who want to quit
As an ex-smoker that statement brings back memories of the filter and the light cigarette "breakthroughs" which were marketed as healthy alternatives. The fact remains that as much as vaping may touted to be less damaging to your health it is by no means marketed to smokers who want to quit. It's just a new legal addiction with less of a stigma for now being marketed to anyone and everyone who is willing to fork out cash for their next dose.

daveza

Honorary Master
You can vape without any nicotine, how is that addictive ?

lkswan747

Expert Member
I have been vaping for over 6 years and only use branded juice, have an never will try THC based liquids! From what I have read, this "Lung Disease" seems to affect those people who are vaping THC based liquids. In my opinion the "illegal stuff" and synthetic stuff is where the problem lies. An example is Spice, this synthetic marijuana also leeds to early deaths.
I am happy to have my nicotine fix via a vape mod and cannot see myself returning to smoking "stinkies" which I smoked for over 35 years.

Just my opinion.

quovadis

Expert Member
You can vape without any nicotine, how is that addictive ?
Congratulations on once again nitpicking an argument. I seem to not recall mentioning nicotine. Take my post in its own context. I was not attacking your own choice to vape whatever the hell you want - nicotine based or otherwise.

Temujin

Executive Member
Starting to think this is all just tobacco throwing its money around :whistling:

C4Cat

Executive Member
This is false propaganda. "Vape lung" is no longer "mysterious". The CDC has found that cases of lipoid pneumonia involved illicit cannabis oils that contain Vitamin E acetate. This substance does not occur in normal nicotine or non-nicotine e-liquids
Did you actually read the nyt article you posted?

Ivanr

Expert Member
As an ex-smoker that statement brings back memories of the filter and the light cigarette "breakthroughs" which were marketed as healthy alternatives. The fact remains that as much as vaping may touted to be less damaging to your health it is by no means marketed to smokers who want to quit. It's just a new legal addiction with less of a stigma for now being marketed to anyone and everyone who is willing to fork out cash for their next dose.
There is no evidence that "Vaping" is less harmful than nicotine cigarettes and YES whether you Vape or use Nicotine, both are a NO,NO and should be forbidden equally like the present Tobacco Act prescribes, removing ALL Smoking Chambers in existence in eating places etc. We hope the new proposed new Tobacco Act is signed into law sooner that later.