Vapers to be classified as smokers for insurance

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Vapers to be classified as smokers

Prudential, one of the largest U.S. life insurers, plans to tweak its policy for customers who vape, saying that they’ll be classified as smokers instead of non-smokers when applying for individual coverage.

Smokers tend to be charged higher life insurance rates than people who don’t smoke, the company said in an emailed statement Wednesday.

Vaping has come under scrutiny as officials investigate lung-injury cases associated with electronic cigarette use.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Fark me! This sucks! I guess SA insurers will follow suit soon. :unsure:

MEIOT

Expert Member
Insurers used to do a nicotine metabolite (cotinine) test, so the delivery mechanism does not matter.
Reinsured a few months ago - blood tests done, I was captured as a non-smoker and declared I was vaping at the time. The agent said I would be classified as a non-smoker even though I was vaping nicotine juice. I'm sure theres other markers they look for in the blood as well.
Guess that will all change now.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Insurers used to do a nicotine metabolite (cotinine) test, so the delivery mechanism does not matter.
Which makes no sense. The overwhelming bulk of the risk from inhaling tobacco smoke does not come from nicotine. And what about someone using gum or patches? Are they now supposedly equally at risk as a smoker?

noxibox

Honorary Master
Reinsured a few months ago - blood tests done, I was captured as a non-smoker and declared I was vaping at the time. The agent said I would be classified as a non-smoker even though I was vaping nicotine juice.
Which is logical. It isn't smoking. The toxic chemicals are far lower.