Vapers to be classified as smokers for insurance

konfab

Honorary Master
Good.
Whatever your views on vaping are, you can't really say that it is good for you, thus from an insurance point of view, they should charge you more.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Which makes no sense. The overwhelming bulk of the risk from inhaling tobacco smoke does not come from nicotine. And what about someone using gum or patches? Are they now supposedly equally at risk as a smoker?
this is the reason why the insurance companies test for Cotinine rather than the actual Nicotine. Cotinine stays in your body longer and it is a metabolite of smoking Nicotine, you cannot inhale Cotinine and the amount of Cotinine found in your body can give them an approximation if you are a smoker, how many smokes you smoke a day or if you are only one smoke a day type of person. It can actually give them an approximation if you are trying to quit and they can actually see the Cotinine levels from low level Nicotine use such as in the gum or patches.

Remember the insurance companies are not really interested in your habits, they are only interested in protecting their risk, by charging you more. So they just want to know if they can charge you maximum policy value for your insurance policies to cover in case you die of lung cancer, and even then they will still try some way of getting out of paying for it.

saor

Honorary Master
A bit o/t but is vaping allowed indoors at restaurants in the normal seating areas?

ponder

Honorary Master
this is the reason why the insurance companies test for Cotinine rather than the actual Nicotine. Cotinine stays in your body longer and it is a metabolite of smoking Nicotine, you cannot inhale Cotinine and the amount of Cotinine found in your body can give them an approximation if you are a smoker, how many smokes you smoke a day or if you are only one smoke a day type of person. It can actually give them an approximation if you are trying to quit and they can actually see the Cotinine levels from low level Nicotine use such as in the gum or patches.

Remember the insurance companies are not really interested in your habits, they are only interested in protecting their risk, by charging you more. So they just want to know if they can charge you maximum policy value for your insurance policies to cover in case you die of lung cancer, and even then they will still try some way of getting out of paying for it.
Many vapers use nicotine free vapes, what now?

MEIOT

Expert Member
So much hate for something that doesn't affect or harm anyone besides the user.

Maybe we should go back to cigs ços that's so much more pleasant for those nearby.
This exactly. No 2nd hand smoke for non-smokers to deal with. I too don't understand the hate.

saor

Honorary Master
No. it's not. Same rules for vapers as regular smokers
Thanks. Saw someone vaping in a restaurant last week and wasn't sure. Tho I'm guessing anyone who does that is probably just looking for an argument.

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
Good.
Whatever your views on vaping are, you can't really say that it is good for you, thus from an insurance point of view, they should charge you more.
Sure but then why not just give it its own classification? Obese isn't as bad as morbidly obese.

I hope so.

I hope SA bans this disgusting **** the same way regular cigarettes are banned.
Get a load of this Nazi.

daveza

Honorary Master
Do these insurance companies ask you how much time you spend in traffic breathing noxious exhaust fumes, whether you work in an industry where toxins are present ?

If they are rating vaping health risks the same as cigarette health risks then they are just exploiting a soft target to reduce their liability without any scientific justification.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
This exactly. No 2nd hand smoke for non-smokers to deal with. I too don't understand the hate.
Will you enjoy me coughing in your face?
No?
Keep your vape clouds away from the rest of us then.
Thanks.

konfab

Honorary Master
Do these insurance companies ask you how much time you spend in traffic breathing noxious exhaust fumes, whether you work in an industry where toxins are present ?

If they are rating vaping health risks the same as cigarette health risks then they are just exploiting a soft target to reduce their liability without any scientific justification.
Last time I checked, no sane human willingly chooses to sit in traffic.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Many vapers use nicotine free vapes, what now?
I'm confused

My answer to him was how and why insurance companies test for Cotinine and not Nicotine for smokers. I don't see anywhere I mentioned anything about Vapors.

If I am not mistaken I don't think Cotinine levels vary that much from vapors even if they are vaping nicotine based vapes, so they would not be able to use this test for detecting if you are a vapor or not.

If insurance companies want to start declaring you as a "smoker" when vaping they will have to probably run other tests rather than the Cotinine test.