VAST Networks confirmed to be shutting down

philaniH

I wonder where is Always on.

I tried this hotspot, Just does not work, the main places already have their own main links ie hotels and BNB.

psavv

If thats the best Naspers and Dimension Data could come up with then good riddance.
Unreliable, have to keep logging back on, no promo from loging in, therefore no benefit to the shopping centres.

Basically it didn't generate income because there was no value to the service (only a lack of service).

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Was waiting for this to happen... their pricing structure and plans were a disaster.

I would have gladly bought a 3gb a month product for a reasonable price, since their wifi is available in so many places. But sadly they had no offering in that range, or in any other ranges to be honest. The kind of plans and bundles they were offering were simply ridiculous and out of touch with reality. It's no wonder they had no income, since they never offered anything usable. They should have fired their sales product team a long time ago.

Swa

Honorary Master
Good riddance. Wifi providers have always had an unrealistic expectation. We could have had the market cornered on Wifi but as it is there's no reason to use such a limited service with no cost saving when mobile data is everywhere.

Leno

Expert Member
I think the only shot they could have had here was wifi offloading for mobile networks, I cant remember when last I paid for wifi

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I recall part of their offering was wifi on public transport.

People underestimate the interest in free wifi, even if it's 500 megabytes.

Swa

Honorary Master
I recall part of their offering was wifi on public transport.

People underestimate the interest in free wifi, even if it's 500 megabytes.
VAST isn't free. If it's free people will have an interest because of that.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
VAST isn't free. If it's free people will have an interest because of that.
Fair post, I have no other information with regards to vast, never used them. This is what I heard, not sure if this was going to be government subsidized.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Paid for WiFi hotspots simply can't compete with mobile data in terms of convenience, price and coverage. Not to mention privacy and security issues with WiFi.