VDSL Issues in most parts of house

joshsparkie

Hi, my VDSL doesn't seem to connect well in most parts of my house and was connecting fine at a jack closest to where the Telkom line enters the house, but recently a Telkom technician tried wiring from this working jack to the jack where my modem was originally(recommended by another fault technician & it is the ethernet wire central point) and has since caused issues with VDSL on the port closest to where the line enters the house. When it used to work I would get 20mbps sync at the port closest to the line but 14mbps on the old port. The new direct link between these points did nothing except cause more issues. Firstly it lowered the speeds on saix.net speedtest down to around 5-8mbps(I was getting 18mbps the other day) on the closest jack to line and now I am offline (probably because they put me back to 40mbps VDSL which I would achieve if this port was not acting like it is now)

Does anyone have suggestions on what I could try do myself to try fix this issue?

I'm guessing the telephone wire has signal loss the further away from the main point. I read online that in New Zealand they use some special hardware that separates xDSL and telephone at where the line enters in order to try eliminate issues caused by telephones.

For the moment I am completely offline and have logged another fault with Telkom to try sort out this mess.

Should I try do my own wiring using CAT5e or something? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

tsruBi

Hi, my VDSL doesn't seem to connect well in most parts of my house and was connecting fine at a jack closest to where the Telkom line enters the house, but recently a Telkom technician tried wiring from this working jack to the jack where my modem was originally(recommended by another fault technician & it is the ethernet wire central point) and has since caused issues with VDSL on the port closest to where the line enters the house. When it used to work I would get 20mbps sync at the port closest to the line but 14mbps on the old port. The new direct link between these points did nothing except cause more issues. Firstly it lowered the speeds on saix.net speedtest down to around 5-8mbps(I was getting 18mbps the other day) on the closest jack to line and now I am offline (probably because they put me back to 40mbps VDSL which I would achieve if this port was not acting like it is now)

Does anyone have suggestions on what I could try do myself to try fix this issue?

I'm guessing the telephone wire has signal loss the further away from the main point. I read online that in New Zealand they use some special hardware that separates xDSL and telephone at where the line enters in order to try eliminate issues caused by telephones.

For the moment I am completely offline and have logged another fault with Telkom to try sort out this mess.

Should I try do my own wiring using CAT5e or something? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi,

You should have your vdsl router/modem near where your Telkom line enters your house. Don't use internal extensions/jacks or long cords. They may be of poor quality and reduce the signal/speed. Rather use Ethernet cable from vdsl router or use routers wireless connection to you pc's etc.

joshsparkie

Hi,

You should have your vdsl router/modem near where your Telkom line enters your house. Don't use internal extensions/jacks or long cords. They may be of poor quality and reduce the signal/speed. Rather use Ethernet cable from vdsl router or use routers wireless connection to you pc's etc.

Thanks for the reply. My house is wired in most places with ethernet, so I'm guessing I will just have to wire another cord to near the telkom jack closest to where the line enters the house?

Really appreciate your help, thank you.

chrisc

Executive Member
Telkom usually use 0.6mm conductors for internal house wiring. Using 0.5mm or thin stranded comms cable will attenuate the signal. I would actually suggest some twisted pair, you can get 2-pair twisted pair and this will not compromise the signal in any way. Also, each time you have a junction (plug and socket) you loose between 1 and 2 db of the signal