Vehicle sold as full service history may have skipped a service interval

mulen

Good day

We bought a used vehicle 16 months back from a well-known dealership. It was sold as full service history, the service book had all the relevant information. They also sold us an extended warranty with a different company.
The vehicle broke down recently, the approved repair garage provided the necessary information to the warranty company, it was determined the car was not serviced for one interval. This interval was well before we bought the vehicle.

The dealership we bought the vehicle from is busy finding out what exactly happened, as it looks like the car may not have been serviced from the garage they bought it from. This have been going on for almost 2 weeks now.

At the moment, we would just like the vehicle to be repaired. The repair garage mentioned we may be able to take this up with the bank that provided finance if the dealership doesn't come up with a solution to our issue.

Will anyone please assist me with the options I have?
Thanks

thechamp

Honorary Master
This is the reason I have never had any interest in the warranties sold with used cars, there are always issues when repair time comes. Options, follow it up with everyone involved, within reasonable time frames, if you don't find relief decide if it's worth your while fighting on, if it isn't just repair the car and move on with your life.

How big of an issue are the repair? What car is it?

namzsteve

Expert Member
This is the reason I have never had any interest in the warranties sold with used cars, there are always issues when repair time comes. Options, follow it up with everyone involved, within reasonable time frames, if you don't find relief decide if it's worth your while fighting on, if it isn't just repair the car and move on with your life.

Very true

mulen

Hi
My issue isn't really with the warranty company, but with the car dealership that sold me the car as a full service history vehicle, while there may be a possibility that a service interval was skipped before we bought the vehicle. Even if they didn't know a service was skipped, surely they should have done due diligence before stating it was FSH?
The warranty company stated they if we can provide the information that the car was indeed serviced in the interval they flagged, they will repair

Vehicle is a Toyota, cost to repair is just over R10 000.

So you telling me you didn't check the log book to make sure car was serviced on time when due ?
The logbooks states the car was serviced throughout, at every 10 000 KM. There are stamps. When the repair garage looked up on their database (or internet?), it showed an interval was skipped. This information was provided to the warranty company and they denied the repair claim.

HiThe logbooks states the car was serviced throughout, at every 10 000 KM. There are stamps. When the repair garage looked up on their database (or internet?), it showed an interval was skipped. This information was provided to the warranty company and they denied the repair claim.
Unfortunately this is a frequent occurrence. An unscrupulous dealer will have a "friendly" service center(s) stamp the logbook, especially if the vehicle was originally taken in as a trade-in. This is just to make a sale. Not all dealers, but a lot. It's easy to claim ignorance after.

Another important note is that Third-party warranty companies usually insist that the services are done at authorised dealerships only. So even if you go to a highly qualified but non-authorised service centre, that will not count as the service is not logged on the dealerships "system" which the warranty company queries. It's a shame of course, but that is what their contract states.

My advice is as per another member posted, approach your finance house and ask if they can assist with any recourse. They are surprisingly helpful in these matters as I have read in numerous other threads created on this forum.

Gazbal

Expert Member
There should be an invoice number in the log book, along with the stamp. Get the servicing dealership to look up using that as well as via either vin or engine number in separate searches. Sometimes it gets captured incorrectly.

Was the “missed” service within original maintenance or service plan period?

mulen

@Nobody Important
Thanks, we have a meeting with repair garage in a week and half to contact the bank.

@Gazbal
The repair garage did check via the VIN number, but I'll let them know, thanks.
The missed service was at 40 000KM, so I'm not sure?

The_Traveller

Expert Member
The logbooks states the car was serviced throughout, at every 10 000 KM. There are stamps. When the repair garage looked up on their database (or internet?), it showed an interval was skipped. This information was provided to the warranty company and they denied the repair claim.
Fraud... you've got a case in your favour.