Vehicle sounds (Clunking, thudding, sometimes rubber rubbing on metal sound)

namzsteve

Expert Member
Could someone offer some wisdom please

So my mothers VW polo tsi has developed some strange noises, she has reached a point where she doesn't even want to drive the car.
I not sure if it is a combination of suspension and engine mounts. The first noise is heard the moment the car is switched on, it sounds as though rubber is rubbing again metal, I can't really explain the sound. I'd have to maybe a get a recording of that sound.

The other noise happens going over uneven road, especially when warm which is sometimes transferred to the steering wheel, it sounds like a ball joint, however no noise when the car is still very cold.
A few months back I replaced the control arms on the car, outer and inner tie rods, sway bar links which somewhat fixed the noise until recently. I am planning on looking at the front shock assembly, could probably be the shock mounts or the sway bar bushings, probably even the engine mounts. Anything else I could look at?

thechamp

Honorary Master
The first noise is heard the moment the car is switched on, it sounds as though rubber is rubbing again metal, I can't really explain the sound. I'd have to maybe a get a recording of that sound.
I would start here, it looks more urgent than the other noises, one of the pulleys has bearing issues perhaps?

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Could someone offer some wisdom please

So my mothers VW polo tsi has developed some strange noises, she has reached a point where she doesn't even want to drive the car.
I not sure if it is a combination of suspension and engine mounts. The first noise is heard the moment the car is switched on, it sounds as though rubber is rubbing again metal, I can't really explain the sound. I'd have to maybe a get a recording of that sound.

The other noise happens going over uneven road, especially when warm which is sometimes transferred to the steering wheel, it sounds like a ball joint, however no noise when the car is still very cold.
A few months back I replaced the control arms on the car, outer and inner tie rods, sway bar links which somewhat fixed the noise until recently. I am planning on looking at the front shock assembly, could probably be the shock mounts or the sway bar bushings, probably even the engine mounts. Anything else I could look at?
CV joints? Let her turn the wheel all the way in one direction and let the car move forward, do this for both sides. Listen for a knocking noise.

namzsteve

Expert Member
I would start here, it looks more urgent than the other noises, one of the pulleys has bearing issues perhaps?
Yeah this is the strangest one I heard so far, it almost sounds like sound of a finger running across a clean dish.

CV joints? Let her turn the wheel all the way in one direction and let the car move forward, do this for both sides. Listen for a knocking noise.
Can't be a CV joint.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
One of the V-Belts (alternator / hydraulic power steering / air-con compressor) may be worn / stretched and is rubbing against the pulleys/tensioners, or it may even be the cam-belt as well. When last, if ever, were these items replaced?

namzsteve

Expert Member
One of the V-Belts (alternator / hydraulic power steering / air-con compressor) may be worn / stretched and is rubbing against the pulleys/tensioners, or it may even be the cam-belt as well. When last, if ever, were these items replaced?
The car's out of warranty/service plan, I normally work on it. Last changed the cam and drive belts last year January. All pulleys looked good at that time but a lot can happen in a year, putting these on the list.

namzsteve

Expert Member
Update on this, I took worked on the car this past weekend. Replaced the drive belt and tensioner which fixed the weird rubbing sound.

I took some time to really check the suspension, found the passenger side sway bar bushing was a little loose, I replaced both bushings on the sway bar along with the links. I kept the car for the weekend and it seemed fine with no sounds, however yesterday I noticed the suspension clunks are back.
I think I'll replace the shocks and shock mounts now. Hopefully that will be the fix.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Update on this, I took worked on the car this past weekend. Replaced the drive belt and tensioner which fixed the weird rubbing sound.
Glad to see you found one of the sources of the noise. My car used to have a squeaking noise -the alternator or power-steering belt was slipping, but it only used to do it on very cold mornings & the noise disappeared once the engine started to warm up. Replacing both belts solved the problem for me as well.

namzsteve

Expert Member
Glad to see you found one of the sources of the noise. My car used to have a squeaking noise -the alternator or power-steering belt was slipping, but it only used to do it on very cold mornings & the noise disappeared once the engine started to warm up. Replacing both belts solved the problem for me as well.
Same thing with the car, in the mornings it was very loud, then the noise would disappear once it warmed up.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Did you check all the bolts of the parts you replaced? I recommend using locktite on them.