Very bad service from WebAfrica

Dirk L

Hi,

WA Ticket number : 1709083

How can I get some help from WebAfrica other than their call-centre? This is not the first time that I'm hitting a brick wall with them and their call centre!!

We develop applications for big corporations and our SQL databases are hosted on WA servers.

Since last week one of our Databases for Afgri SA is not working. We can do nothing on the databse, no updates or changes or nothing, and I can't even backup the databse or restore it. I've spoken to the call centre, they said I should send them a mail to replicate the error on their side. So I send tham a mail with exact instructions, login details and a sample query, so they can get the same error.

I told them it's VERY URGENT.

They send me back this, with not even reading my mail!!! "We had no issues yesterday at the specific time of your error. Can you please test by using this application (Sql Server Management Studio) and advise if this issue still occurs?"

WTF?!?

I then called and called again, each day. I eventually spelled out what they should do, they then got the same error on their side. And each day they would apparently get back to me asap, but no one ever does. Since Friday I can not even log in any more using SSMS, so now I can't see ANY of our databses. They are ALL down now. It's a week and we are still down.

ISP's are supposed to be up and running 99.99% of the time. Where in your life do you get hosting with an ISP that's down for a WEEK?!?!?!?!!!! This is ridiculous. Only in SA. Do they not know what the meaning of a Data-Centre is????? A server hosted at my home will be more reliable than this!!!!

Please, who can I speak to other than a call centre person, that never comes back to me. And this is not the first time I'm complaining about this, tickets with no excalation or responce. How difficult is it to assign a ticket to ONE person and have them finish it, I have not spoken to the same person once about this error, how will this ever get resloved this way.

PLEASE HELP URGENTLY !!!!

Regards

PS: I have also posted this here, not sure where I will get a responce first. http://hellopeter.com/webafrica/complaints/isp-hosting-down-for-a-week-very-bad-service-1193478

Last edited:

Anonymous™

Dude, honestly, fire them. You are paying for a failing service. Go with another ISP.

A week to resolve a clearly critical issue is beyond unacceptable!

philaniH

what an image for such a company. last time i went down was when i upgraded to cloudlinux. never had a down time since. and as for my home server powerd by axxess dedi ip, im offline when i give my old a case a break daily.
Go with another ISP.
You better. dont even wait for that ticket response.

Dirk L

Problem is, I'm hosting with them for the last 8 years.

So we have lots of domains with them, it will not be an easy task moving to another ISP. And even moving just the databases and FTP sites will be a mission and a half, as the .NET applications we build are used country wide by various clients of ours. But counting the tickets of just the last year, and all the down-time, and looking at the effort it takes every time to resolve a query, it might be time to reconsider...

I even often get an error message, while we are busy developing, in the middle of the day, "Server Restarting". And ALL our websites go down, as they are all SQL driven. Then I immidiatly phone in, but it normally takes 10 minutes for them to answer, and before they pick up, the server is back on. Where on earth do you get that an ISP restart a server in the middle of the day. What happened to redundancy???

At R2000+ a month, I'm a small client to them, but over 8 years, this does account to a few R100k. And for what?

Will keep you posted....

WebAfrica Helper

Web Africa representative
Hi,

WA Ticket number : 1709083

How can I get some help from WebAfrica other than their call-centre? This is not the first time that I'm hitting a brick wall with them and their call centre!!

We develop applications for big corporations and our SQL databases are hosted on WA servers.

Since last week one of our Databases for Afgri SA is not working. We can do nothing on the databse, no updates or changes or nothing, and I can't even backup the databse or restore it. I've spoken to the call centre, they said I should send them a mail to replicate the error on their side. So I send tham a mail with exact instructions, login details and a sample query, so they can get the same error.

I told them it's VERY URGENT.

They send me back this, with not even reading my mail!!! "We had no issues yesterday at the specific time of your error. Can you please test by using this application (Sql Server Management Studio) and advise if this issue still occurs?"

WTF?!?

I then called and called again, each day. I eventually spelled out what they should do, they then got the same error on their side. And each day they would apparently get back to me asap, but no one ever does. Since Friday I can not even log in any more using SSMS, so now I can't see ANY of our databses. They are ALL down now. It's a week and we are still down.

ISP's are supposed to be up and running 99.99% of the time. Where in your life do you get hosting with an ISP that's down for a WEEK?!?!?!?!!!! This is ridiculous. Only in SA. Do they not know what the meaning of a Data-Centre is????? A server hosted at my home will be more reliable than this!!!!

Please, who can I speak to other than a call centre person, that never comes back to me. And this is not the first time I'm complaining about this, tickets with no excalation or responce. How difficult is it to assign a ticket to ONE person and have them finish it, I have not spoken to the same person once about this error, how will this ever get resloved this way.

PLEASE HELP URGENTLY !!!!

Regards

PS: I have also posted this here, not sure where I will get a responce first. http://hellopeter.com/webafrica/complaints/isp-hosting-down-for-a-week-very-bad-service-1193478
Hi Dirk L,

I can completely understand where your frustrations are coming from as the service you received from us is not up to standard. We are in process of investigating things and I have sent your complaint here as well as your post on Hello Peter to our Hosting Seniors, who will contact you with feedback.

Telasera

Telasera representative
Company Rep

Are you referring to shared hosting SQL services or your own dedicated server?

Dirk L

Issue has been resolved. Everything is working again now. Not sure what the problem was, and don't care, it's working again.

Thanks for Geffin Jones for staying in touch today and seeing this through!!

That was how it should have been done a week ago, with minimum pain and effort.

guest2013-1

You would be surprised how many big corporates rely on rickety systems that were not developed properly.
No, I'm not surprised @ the big corporates, that I understand. I'm surprised that someone who does work for them that specializes in technology and development etc, would rely on shared SQL Server hosting they barely have access to if problems arises.

I pity these big corporations that pay them for these services.