Very few South Africans have Internet at home

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Very few South Africans have Internet at home

Statistics South Africa (Stats SA) released its General Household Survey 2017, which shows that only one-tenth of South African households have access to the Internet at home.

The report shows that home Internet access was most prevalent among households in the Western Cape (25.7%) and Gauteng (16.5%), and lowest in Limpopo (2.2%) and Eastern Cape (3.5%).

NickK

I don't think that's how you should read the stats. You should look at the proportion of the population lives in the provinces.

Gauteng has 14 million od people (officially) so 16.5% of that is 2.3 million with internet
Western Cape has about 6.5 million (also officially) so 25.7% of that is 1.6 odd million

Add those two together and you don't event get close to 48% of the total population. The other provinces are so small in % that they don't even bare considering.

Sugarman

Making Sugar
Not surprised, hard to get Internet when you are illegally occupying land and stealing electricity

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Even less have fibre, I wonder what those stats should look like.

eg2505

Honorary Master
not surprised by any of these "revelations"

majority cant read, most don't know how to use a computer, and most dont even have electricity to have a PC.

this is the main reason that internet on mobile phones and apps on mobile is such a hot topic and much more could say they have access to the internet via that.

The Voice

Executive Member
Are those stats specifically for households that would actually be able to have broadband installed? If so, then yes, those numbers are quite low.

No point in including shacks or rondawels in the survey...

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
I'd suggest that the figure is far higher. Internet access should include phones.
It may not be affordable, as data pricing is rapey in SA, but it is available pretty much anywhere there is a cellphone signal.

Article does mention that quite clearly, so its actually far higher than made out to be -
Access to the Internet using all available means – including smartphones and access at work – was highest in Gauteng (74.0%), Western Cape (70.8%) and Mpumalanga (63.3%), and lowest in Limpopo (43.6%) and Eastern Cape (51.8%).

DeSLAM

I would imagine the word ANYWHERE to include home... have a look at the survey results again.

Fewer have internet access EXCLUSIVELY at home. But that doesnt equate to "Very few South Africans have Internet at home"

Swa

Honorary Master
Very few South Africans have homes. Actually I think with the IQ and education of most they don't really know that browsing on your phone is internet. May not be broadband but it's internet.

Stickfigure

Executive Member
There are one or two high level managers at my work who don't have internet at home. Constantly asking IT for 3G dongles so they can work from home for the weekend :/