Very slow ADSL speed for past few days

Dean

Expert Member
Has anyone else been experiencing seriously slow ADSL speeds for the past couple of days ONLY?

I've had a perfectly stable line for the forseeable past, but suddenly over the past two days, using both WebAfrica and GConnect accounts, my 1Mbps line has been running at about half speed average.

Has anyone else, specifically in Sea Point Cape Town, been experiencing similar issues over the past couple of days only?

- Dean

Slapdash

Yup, in Bloubergstrand but since yesterday line speed internationally is terrible. I'm with MWEB.
I think this is a Telkom issue.

Dean

Expert Member
Yup, in Bloubergstrand but since yesterday line speed internationally is terrible. I'm with MWEB.
I think this is a Telkom issue.

You sure its only INTL? Today seems better but try an SA speed test regardless?

ARM505

Speedtest results are all great - but downloading anything however, or even getting a page to load is abysmal. Kenilworth, MWEB. Can't even download a 350kb mail attachment from yahoo, the download will always drop to 0 speed at some point.

Thx RoMark for confirming this, hope it gets sorted soon.
But had to laugh because I clicked the link you sent and then after a few seconds thought . duh. not going to open.
Have bookmarked it for future info purposes, thanks.

Hectic

Executive Member
Thx RoMark for confirming this, hope it gets sorted soon.
But had to laugh because I clicked the link you sent and then after a few seconds thought . duh. not going to open.
Have bookmarked it for future info purposes, thanks.
Eish that is bad.
You are the 2nd guy today that mentioned that he could not open the link.

If you don't have it already, make use of the offer that Afrihost has, 1GB free for life. At least it might help to tie you over.
http://www.afrihost.com/#4

Assuming you can open the page.

Thanks, I've been through this before and have decided to just let it run it's course and not frustrate myself again trying to sort out a problem that I really have no control over.
But for people who really need to be connected right now, your afrihost suggestion is a good one for these situations.

Thanks

Weird thing is, I decided to try and experiment by going into my internet history and try download the next video in a series I am watching.
The page opened immediately (ok no surprise there), but when I clicked on the next video to download.....BOOM... it's downloading at full speed.
It's an international site on top of it.
How can this be?
I'm not complaining, but google.co.za won't even open and I'm getting full speed downloads when we were told only priority usage is in place til the seacomm thing is fixed.
It's just strange.

Last edited:

Dean

Expert Member
Peeps the problem, at least mine, had nothing to do with Seacom - the problem started a few days ago and lasted pretty much UNTIL Seacom went down today.

Anyway, things are back up to full speed so I guess we can write this one off to a Telkom brainfart.

jackshiels

Expert Member
Weird thing is, I decided to try and experiment by going into my internet history and try download the next video in a series I am watching.
The page opened immediately (ok no surprise there), but when I clicked on the next video to download.....BOOM... it's downloading at full speed.
It's an international site on top of it.
How can this be?
I'm not complaining, but google.co.za won't even open and I'm getting full speed downloads when we were told only priority usage is in place til the seacomm thing is fixed.
It's just strange.

local mirror perhaps?

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
I am still getting atrocious speeds international--even google.com page give connection errors.
Local speeds are fine
international running at 0.84Mbps
MWEB 4Meg line

Dean

Expert Member
I am still getting atrocious speeds international--even google.com page give connection errors.
Local speeds are fine
international running at 0.84Mbps
MWEB 4Meg line

I suggest starting/joining another thread - all current issues including this one seem inconsistent with mine, seemed to be a Telkom issue in the area.