Very tempted to get a convertible... but should I?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
While browsing Autotrader for some low mileage gems I came across this beauty

R130k for a 8 year old twintop Astra with a mere 53,000km on the clock
http://www.autotrader.co.za/used-ca...-sandton-fpa-8a81b5574f267feb014f271ac9490dbe

My Corsa is 5 years old and has the same mileage so I am very tempted to trade it in on this Astra. I bought 2007 Astra last year with 60,000km on the clock and it is still running like a dream, I guess this one should be fine to.

The only concerns I have is the turbo and the fact that it was used at highveld altitudes - not sure if that will affect the lifespan of the car. Also the roof, I know they can be finicky with age.

So the questions is should I part ways with my trusty low mileage normally aspirated Corsa or rather keep it.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
The mileage on that EOS is way too high for my liking, although there is no denying that you do get a lot more with the EOS.

If it was closer to Cape Town I would definitely go take a look, you don't get low mileage cars like these very often - last one I saw I bought and that was a year ago.

How pricey would it be to fix the turbo if it blows?

Last edited:

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
My Corsa is 5 years old and has the same mileage so I am very tempted to trade it in on this Astra. I bought 2007 Astra last year with 60,000km on the clock and it is still running like a dream, I guess this one should be fine to.

The only concerns I have is the turbo and the fact that it was used at highveld altitudes - not sure if that will affect the lifespan of the car. Also the roof, I know they can be finicky with age.

So the questions is should I part ways with my trusty low mileage normally aspirated Corsa or rather keep it.
Good thing about that is that is less issue with rust, so win some lose some. I would think that at that kilometers it should still be fine, maybe get some sort of cover for a year or so to make sure it doesn't blow up, there after it should be as reliable as you make it.

wetkit

Expert Member
Only hairdressers and old gay men drive convertibles.
The Astra looks way better than that VW.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The mileage on that EOS is way to high for my liking, although there is no denying that you do get a lot more with the EOS.

If it was closer to Cape Town I would definitely go take a look, you don't get low mileage cars like these very often - last one I saw I bought and that was a year ago.

How pricey would it be to fix the turbo if it blows?
I stand corrected but this particular Eos is the N/A 2 FSI which is good & bad depending on ones pov.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
You know that trick with German cars where if you hold the unlock button it opens the windows for you? This is one of the reason I so dearly want that twintop...

[video=youtube;dQ5DNZwDmDk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ5DNZwDmDk[/video]

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Only hairdressers and old gay men drive convertibles.
The Astra looks way better than that VW.
Have to agree about the gay part, but that's not a problem really. I am slightly bi anyway and I use pink phones :D
I would never go for Opel personally
A good point actually, which is why I am hesitant about buying this car. I have had a few Opels and they have not let me down, but I am well aware that they can be problematic with age.

Last edited:

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
After a decade in the motor trade I've learnt a few universal truths. One of them is that folding hardtops are the devil, regardless of brand.

falcon786

Executive Member
You know that trick with German cars where if you hold the unlock button it opens the windows for you? This is one of the reason I so dearly want that twintop...

[video=youtube;dQ5DNZwDmDk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ5DNZwDmDk[/video]
Thats a long time to hold the button in,I get tired of holding my cars button just for the windows to close.:D

Also opening mechanism seems complicated,i wouldn't want to know the cost of that if something had to break in it!That to me would be a bigger issue than a turbo which is usually around R10k if you get direct from actual turbo manufacturer for most normal cars.

Sepeng

Expert Member
Life is short - do it man!
Plus, people call a Boxster a ladies car, which is what my mid life crisis car will be.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Life is short - do it man!
Plus, people call a Boxster a ladies car, which is what my mid life crisis car will be.
Exactly how I feel about it. I doubt I will see another twintop with a low mileage like that. As pointed out this convertible is more of gay car than it is a ladies car and I'm down with that. Keep in mind that I will only drive about 3000km a year as I cycle most of the time.

ChrisThomas

Hmm, I don't have much to say about the Opel personally, I don't know that car well enough, I did however have a Peugeot 206 cc - yes it was a pretty gay car and yes it had it's niggles here and there, but, that 2.0 motor with the roof down was an absolute scream, I loved that car with it's problems and it was the most fun car I've owned to date.

If you want it, get it, just buy a 2 year warrantee with it and ask if they cover the roof.

The only thing I didn't like about the roof being down is the guys on the side of the road would throw things into my car and then demand payment and it was pretty scary (I've been smash and grabbed so these people scare the sheet outta me) but otherwise, it was awesome!

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Now that you mention it, I have always wondered what it would be like in traffic with a convertible. The first few times I commuted to work on a bicycle I felt very exposed and unprotected but a few years down the line I feel perfectly safe. Perhaps a convertible will be the same? Most trips will be in and around Stellenbosch with the odd trip to the West Coast.

How much should I sell my 2010 Corsa for? It is pre-facelift but does have the 74kw engine and most essentials.

Edit : Mileage on those EOS' are too high for me.

asshat99

Expert Member
Urgh - those EOS, jetta levels of bland. Would rather take the risk with the Astra electrics.

Why not a NC MX-5? Really keenly priced second hand, massively reliable, actually fun to drive. Price will go down more when the ND comes out.