Vhs-Dvd No Sound On Dvd Playback (Tv)

ultramel1987

Hi there

I have used Roxio 2012 to create a DVD for DVD PAL Playback.

I selected the option DVD in the movie creator, and then inserted various movie files into my project, with menus.
(files inserted are mpeg2 format which have been captured from VHS)

Once the movie project is burned to DVD-R disk, the movie plays back on one of my DVD players/tv's with sound and all is in order, however if I try to play the disk on my 3 other dvd players / tv's, there is sound for the "menu", but my movie files have no sound at all?

What could be the reason for this?

The dvd player where the sound does play, is connected directly to an old television set, whereas the DVD player where there is no sound is connected to a newer lcd television, which plays its sound through a hi-fi.. could this somehow affect sound playback?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you kindly

howardb

Expert Member
I would look at the format used for the audio versus the capabilities of the DVD players - when I burned similar years ago there was always some compatibility issues with the sound formats - what audio settings are you using in your project file, i.e. are all the movie files added to the project the same audio format?

When you output the project for burning do you re-encode it in the DVD mpeg2 format (VOB) or are the clips not transcoded at all.

If the DVD hooked up to the LCD TV is hooked up to the old TV does the sound play? If the same DVD is hooked up straight to the LCDTV does the sound play. It could be a case of eliminating the problem area bit by bit.
Does the HiFi have the correct input from the DVD player and what audio connection are you using from the DVD to the HiFi (Is the audio and video sent through the hifi or just the audio, with the video straight to the LCD TV)

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Hi there

I have used Roxio 2012 to create a DVD for DVD PAL Playback.

I selected the option DVD in the movie creator, and then inserted various movie files into my project, with menus.
(files inserted are mpeg2 format which have been captured from VHS)

Once the movie project is burned to DVD-R disk, the movie plays back on one of my DVD players/tv's with sound and all is in order, however if I try to play the disk on my 3 other dvd players / tv's, there is sound for the "menu", but my movie files have no sound at all?

What could be the reason for this?

The dvd player where the sound does play, is connected directly to an old television set, whereas the DVD player where there is no sound is connected to a newer lcd television, which plays its sound through a hi-fi.. could this somehow affect sound playback?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you kindly

I had this problem before. Some DVD players can't play audio if it's encoded in too high a bitrate. Or if it's encoded in the wrong format, Dolby Digital vs MPEG Audio. As a possible fix, you may change a setting in your DVD player's setup menu: try changing your DVD audio output from Dolby Digital to MPEG Audio, or vice versa.