Vicki Momberg sentenced to 3 years, 1 suspended for using K-Word

surface

Executive Member
The fact that anyone can spend even one night in jail for the words that came out of their mouth should send a chill down the spine of any free thinking person, no matter how despicable those words are.
Sure, take a look here. There have been remarkable human rights cases (this is just in Britain) all over the world.

https://rightsinfo.org/infographics/fifty-human-rights-cases/

Perhaps 100 years from now, she will be remembered for her freedom of speech fight? One can always join such fights if one feels that strongly.

BBSA

Honorary Master
I remember under a previous South African govt where this was quite normal.
It was wrong then and is still wrong today, or do you think past injustices justify today's injustices?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I remember under a previous South African govt where this was quite normal.
All the more reason to be horrified about what has happened to Vicky Momberg. You may not like her, you may not like what she's done, but you most certainly can and should be terrified about the implications for free speech that the precedent of her case represents in South Africa. I would guess this is why, despite her rather obvious character flaws, she has repeatedly been able to obtain pro bono counsel. Her case has the potential to be one of great constitutional significance, if only she would allow her lawyers and advocates to do their jobs.

Sollie

Expert Member
Nobody should go to jail for words, that's just dumb.

Unless you shout Bomb on a plane, lifes to short to joke about that at 35,000 feet.
If you're that dumb, you also be stupid enough to fall for it if the stewardess shows you the door ;)

Sollie

Expert Member
Can I engage in discussions about bombings and hijackings with fellow passengers on a plane without attracting attention from authorities? Just curious.
See my previous comment on you. I simply suggest don't do it, just don't. Your fellow passengers won't appreciate it. Really not.

:laugh:

Sollie

Expert Member
/Chuckles...
Rather you not me, I don't want to annoy Sollie.
Argh dankie man!

But really, I'm sure you can join them, you seem to have a fascination with them. Unfortunately I can't give you the inside info as I have none. ;)

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
WAM argument will be followed shortly. followed by usual 2 and 3 letter acronyms. Followed by genocide and emigration threat. rinse and repeat.

WAM - what about malema.
If Malema (or anyone) gets away with it because he's black, then we're NRE.

NRE - not really equal

zippy

Executive Member
All the more reason to be horrified about what has happened to Vicky Momberg. You may not like her, you may not like what she's done, but you most certainly can and should be terrified about the implications for free speech that the precedent of her case represents in South Africa. I would guess this is why, despite her rather obvious character flaws, she has repeatedly been able to obtain pro bono counsel. Her case has the potential to be one of great constitutional significance, if only she would allow her lawyers and advocates to do their jobs.
Actually I'm not horrified by what has happened TO Vicky Momberg. I hope she gets severely punished. And I hope it hurts real bad.