Video ad running on YouTube and Facebook features deepfaked local news presenter and Elon Musk to punt scam

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Crazy scam video fakes South African news presenter and Elon Musk's faces and voices

Scams that appropriate the likenesses of well-known South Africans have taken a turn, as “deepfakes” featuring SABC news anchor Francis Herd are running as advertisements on Facebook and YouTube.

One of the videos on YouTube opens with Herd’s deepfake saying, “Elon Musk’s project has scared government and big banks. He has come up with a secret investment that has made hundreds of people very rich.”

Last edited:
And yet they find it necessary to put warnings up on certain topics to protect us from the dumb masses who didn't get THE MESSAGE.

Because they care so much.

And no matter how many times I report the ad as a scam of YouTube I keep getting them, No matter how many times I block them I still get them.

Ok watched the full and yes it's sounds like a scam but it doesn't mention the app or have any links in the description. Google doesn't turn up results for the video title za4musk.

I r confused. How are they supposed to catch victims?

Reactions: Jan
"But why aren't you on Facebook?"

:ROFL:

Honestly, I occasionally have to open a facebook link because someone sent it to me and every time I do, I think... what is this abomination?
How is it still a thing? It's embarrassing to be seen on it.

Crazy scam video fakes South African news presenter and Elon Musk's faces and voices

Scams that appropriate the likenesses of well-known South Africans have taken a turn, as “deepfakes” featuring SABC news anchor Francis Herd are running as advertisements on Facebook and YouTube.

One of the videos on YouTube opens with Herd’s deepfake saying, “Elon Musk’s project has scared government and big banks. He has come up with a secret investment that has made hundreds of people very rich.”

How can people not see that plays like a dubbed chinese movie?

Ok watched the full and yes it's sounds like a scam but it doesn't mention the app or have any links in the description. Google doesn't turn up results for the video title za4musk.

I r confused. How are they supposed to catch victims?
The call-to-action only appears when you see the ad in its intended form.

One CTA link points to nuycom.com. Don't know what query string or subdomain it uses. Unsure if the website is compromised or just a fake website set up to mask the fact that it houses attack pages.

The call-to-action only appears when you see the ad in its intended form.

One CTA link points to nuycom.com. Don't know what query string or subdomain it uses. Unsure if the website is compromised or just a fake website set up to mask the fact that it houses attack pages.

Makes sense.

Reported this multiple time over the last few weeks, youtube doesnt care, still displaying it, saw it twice today already.

This is partly the problem with platforms on the scale of Youtube/Facebook... your reports end up going through an "AI" system to determine if they need further review, and that system just goes "Nope, its all good" and it goes no further.

There is just too much going on to have a human review everything.

if you are dumb enough to watch an ad on youtube then you are probably dumb enough to believe the ad
If the advertisers are dumb enough to think anything they sell through YouTube ads will make me want to buy their shxt, then goodluck to them.

I knew it was fake when Musk talked about investing in Rands and said Johann's name like he's a German in the Alps.

They also put the R sign at the end of the currency, which is a dead giveaway. 2,500R per month...

There's another fake ENCA video with an Australian "John" Johann Rupert which I downloaded for laughs. Don't have the actual Youtube link unfortunately, but I've attached the video clip. Very funny. :ROFL:

Attachments

• FAKE ENCA Johann Rupert.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 8
Back