Video entertainment in South Africa - no DStv or TV licence required

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Goodbye DStv and TV licence

Armed with a fast broadband connection and a large monitor, South Africans do not need a TV licence or DStv subscription to watch premium video content.

On-demand streaming video services such as Netflix, Prime Video, Showmax, Apple TV+, and Britbox offer alternatives to linear broadcast services like DStv.

Johand

Expert Member
MultiChoice reported that, between April 2020 and March 2021, it saw an 8% decline in subscribers to its high-end DStv Premium and Compact Plus packages.

As much as I am a big fan of stream rather than broadcast television, I do think the stats around Premium users are a bit twisted -- there wasn't a lot of sport due to the pandemic. Once rugby is played every weekend again I wouldn't be surprised to see that numbers jump again.

And I am saying this not as a DStv watcher (I am not), or a sport watcher (I am not). It is just worth pointing out that sports is the anchor for Dstv.

Death

The monitors cost more than the tellies but have less features. What gives? Better refresh rates? Better contrast ratio?

P00HB33R

Lets be honest here, the price of the tv license is not that much. The savings you get from purchasing a tv vs monitor more than offsets the tv license expense. So, stream, buy a tv and get on with it.

cyb3rt

Lets be honest here, the price of the tv license is not that much. The savings you get from purchasing a tv vs monitor more than offsets the tv license expense. So, stream, buy a tv and get on with it.
It's long not been about the money, it's about the principle of paying a TV license for no reason.

People that actually do pay, are just throwing money into the pockets of the cadre's, little by little, bit by bit.

NicVegas

Yawn. A anti dstv article by mybroadband.co.za. Lazy journalism at its best.

chrisc

Executive Member
Britbox is really good. Already watched 22 Antiques Roadshow, Professor T, Line of Duty and Keeping up Appearances

Paul Kemp

Expert Member
If you were tasked to get Britbox up and running for old folk without a smartTV what device is the most reliable and simple. Key words - old folk.

D1209

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the TV lic is not only for TV, but also includes license to receive radio?
Who doesn't listen to radio from time to time while driving?

ProfA

Honorary Master
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the TV lic is not only for TV, but also includes license to receive radio?
Who doesn't listen to radio from time to time while driving?
You are wrong. It's in the name. "TV" licence.

grok

Honorary Master
Just be a proper anarchist and don't pay your TV lic, unashamedly like the Durban looters, when caught on TV (sic) laugh about it and say nope you never even went inside, footage? you thump your thumb at footage, just stop with this ridonculous imaginary denatured loophole sheite..