Video Transcoding : What is the best freeware ?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
What freeware video transcoding tool is currently the best? I have been using MediaCoder for about a year or so but recently tried Freemake Video Converter which seems a lot nice and more robust. Are there any alternatives I should be considering?

The majority of my transcoding is to MPEG4 ASP and AVC with the occasional 3GP and MPEG2 (DVD) convert.

rimmoah

What freeware video transcoding tool is currently the best? I have been using MediaCoder for about a year or so but recently tried Freemake Video Converter which seems a lot nice and more robust. Are there any alternatives I should be considering?

The majority of my transcoding is to MPEG4 ASP and AVC with the occasional 3GP and MPEG2 (DVD) convert.

"any video converter" from download.com

nic777

Expert Member
I use WinFF for most of my transcoding, mostly extracting audio out of mp4s but recently converted mp4s to avi for a dvd. Its based on the great open source program ffmpeg and WinFF itself is open source. It should be able to help you.

http://winff.org/html_new/

cerebus

Honorary Master
Any video converter is good, so is Handbrake. But the easiest option by far is to find a media player that can handle more than a handful of codecs - so if you're using an Android or an IOS device I could recommend a few good ones, but if you're still with Nokia you're on your own...