Vintage High Fidelity equipment

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Cool thread guys. Don’t visit these parts often enough these days. Took a massive explosion in Beirut to make me see this... @genetic some awesome kit there. Would love to get a valve amp.

Recently got an old restored Thorens TD-150, to go with my dads old Wharfedale 425 speakers and my much more modern Onkyo A-9150. Setup sounds amazing. Good enough for me for now, so spending some cash every month on building a vinyl collection.
My old man gave away his original Beatles LPs. Crying. Still has a Technics setup. Music go fetch it but no space for it..

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Cool thread guys. Don’t visit these parts often enough these days. Took a massive explosion in Beirut to make me see this... @genetic some awesome kit there. Would love to get a valve amp.

Recently got an old restored Thorens TD-150, to go with my dads old Wharfedale 425 speakers and my much more modern Onkyo A-9150. Setup sounds amazing. Good enough for me for now, so spending some cash every month on building a vinyl collection.
Keep an eye on Clare's collectibles Bid or Buy page - stock comes and goes, but you'll often see a ton of new LPs appear. You'll also find the odd stylus for vintage turntables etc.

Captain Beer

Executive Member
There's a guy on Facebook selling this for R12k...

View attachment 895510 View attachment 895512

Wow I wonder if he'll even get close to that. The only parts I'm missing are the tape deck and the equalizer, and the original paper speakers disintegrated many years ago.
Got the same tuner, DVD player and turntable, unfortunately they all need a bit of attention to get them back on the road.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Wow I wonder if he'll even get close to that. The only parts I'm missing are the tape deck and the equalizer, and the original paper speakers disintegrated many years ago.
Got the same tuner, DVD player and turntable, unfortunately they all need a bit of attention to get them back on the road.
He might just find a the right buyer.

There is some cool stuff on the Old School Hi-Fi Systems, Vinyl and CDs.FB group.

Last edited:

FiZeR

It seems they were popular.

Here is mine mostly complete (missing button on tape deck and without the original speakers). I picked it up almost four years ago for R500.

pioneer3.jpg pioneer1.jpg

Captain Beer

Executive Member
It seems they were popular.

Here is mine mostly complete (missing button on tape deck and without the original speakers). I picked it up almost four years ago for R500.

View attachment 895638 View attachment 895640

Nice one. I'm actually listening to my SA-508 as I type this, recently had the power supply circuitry redone and it's working beautifully right now. I need to treat it to some decent speakers in the near future.
My TX-608 tuner still powers up, but the tuning is ridiculously sensitive, getting that stereo light going is some David Copperfield level stuff. The PL-200 turntable is completely dead. Also has a "full logic" cassette deck, not sure of the model number, but never found someone who was willing to get it up and running.

FiZeR

Nice one. I'm actually listening to my SA-508 as I type this, recently had the power supply circuitry redone and it's working beautifully right now. I need to treat it to some decent speakers in the near future.
My TX-608 tuner still powers up, but the tuning is ridiculously sensitive, getting that stereo light going is some David Copperfield level stuff. The PL-200 turntable is completely dead. Also has a "full logic" cassette deck, not sure of the model number, but never found someone who was willing to get it up and running.
I was lucky, the tape deck only needed belts and the whole system needed a bit of a cleaning.

I am able to get a stereo signal on a few stations, but I hardly get a signal strength of more than 40. I might need to get a better antenna than a bit of twinflex.

airborne

Honorary Master
So awesome but the guy wants R5500 for it.

View attachment 898200
The prices for vintage Japanese hifi stuff has gone crazy in SA, anything Pioneer, Technics and Sansui sells for ludicrous prices. Nevermind that the only thing really worth getting are the amps and maybe the EQ but for most uses how much EQ do you really need barring basic bass/treble which the amps have.

The vintage Japanese speakers are positively kak and they still sell for thousands.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I knew I shouldn't have come into this thread. Some lovely, clean installs, people have...

Now I've gone to see what's on Gumtree as well. Some nice stuff there also. Sigh.